Reviews for Black and Blue Lagoon
rutger5000 chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
I like stories like this. People who get into awfull situations, but somehow improve it.

It was really well written, but way too long. You should have diveded it into chapters. I'm even glad you left the lemon part, because that would make it even longer.

But despite being way too long, it was still a great fanfic. Nothing OOC, and engough exiting things like the shark/Rock figh.

Thanks for writting this, rutger50.
Shanyetta chapter 1 . 2/2/2008
I loved it! You kept their character intact. Wonderful.
Izzy chapter 1 . 1/25/2008
Really great story, just made all the better that it was a great Black Lagoon story, 'cause Black Lagoon rocks. I wouldn't mind seeing more, like a sequel or something along those lines. Oh and the lemon parts on mediaminer were done quite well, too. I look forward to future stories and updates.
Kryssa's flute chapter 1 . 1/24/2008
Brace yourself; it's gonna be a long review.

I have actually been reading this story over and over for the past week, feeling the words and images run through my mind as I try to find what I want to say. And it's really hard, not because I'm at a lack for things to talk about, but because there is so much I want to comment on. I could probably write something like a freaking doctoral thesis, but I'm going to try and be succinct (hah!).

I usually like to walk down a story and comment as I go along, but there are certain things about this story that a pretty all-encompassing, staying with the reader through the whole of its existence. The two things that struck me the most deeply were the dialogue and the characterization, and the descriptions. I put the first two together because they're interwoven so beautifully that I can hear the voices, and the thoughts, of each person, and they feel right. There's an echo of realism in Revy's sharp tongue, Rock's patient musings, Dutch's matter-of-fact leadership, the sailor's merciless cursing. It's so easy to slip into out of character-ness with this bunch, making them say/do things that are painfully inaccurate because of misconceptions or poor writing ability. I see nothing lacking; all is wonderfully telling, and I keep reading because I want to see how those words and actions blend as the story progresses. I believe in this story's reality.

On the other side are your descriptions, and I feel at such a loss with my praise. There's so much I'd love to mention, to point to a section and say, 'now this was amazing because I knew it was real, and you obviously put time and thought into even the tiniest details'. Sadly enough, I'd be pointing to pretty much the whole story, so I'll comment on things as I go along. Still, your world-building skills made for such a vivid ride that I had a movie in my head as I read.

You had one of the best opening phrases I've ever seen. It grabbed me by the shirt and pinned to the screen for over two hours. The line 'cowering properly' was something between satiric and mocking, and it was so completely Revy that I actually let out a surprised laugh. And things just got better as you explained the Lagoon's situation; you told us so much without bogging us down in meaningless details. I've never known much of ships and warfare, yet the facts you carelessly toss around easily painted pictures. You describe the missile's potentials, the destroyed freighter, the severity of Rock and Revy's situation with stunning intensity.

Revy herself was absolutely wonderful; she doesn't get much active airtime until later in the story, so I'm going to rave on your characterization of her for a moment. I love her mental monologues, her toss-off comments because there's so much flavor and personality behind them. I particularly loved the lines "some idiot threw a fire axe at me", and "... insist on trying to kill other people with weird shit". She's a little bit exasperated, a little bit thoughtful, and a lot of attitude. God, I wish there were published authors who could load that much meaning into their dialogue.

Moving on and floating free in the ocean, here's where Rock begins to shine. He's never made to be superhuman or unrealistically smart, but he's clever and resourceful and has enough humor to stave off the terrifying truth of his situation without falling into denial or despair. Again, to quote you, I love when he said, "This job gets weirder every day", because it felt so wonderfully real, trying to make oddities into something banal.

When he comes into contact with the vengeful sailor, my heart went out to him. The parallel of him being naked and allowing a man to drown was poignant; there's a baring of the soul and self during that moment, and it hurt to read. That he adds the flick of morbid humor onto the end was more painful because we know that, for all it's perfect Rock-ness, it's nothing more than a defense that he himself breaks away as he not-cries.

The moment when Revy stops breathing almost had me panicking, too. I know a bit of medicine, and I know that CPR doesn't save lives as often as people think. Ribs crack, hearts don't start beating, lungs don't compress, and even when things go right, it might be too late. Yet Rock fights with a tenacity that Revy herself would have a hard time matching, and it says so much of how much he cares for the half-dead gunslinger. No matter what hell he's going through, Rock will survive because Revy's still breathing.

Island life was keenly, sharply portrayed. As a city-girl, I was awed at Rock's inventiveness, since he has been depicted as only having lived in Tokyo or Roanapur. He comes up with ways to boil water and figuring out appropriate heating patterns, to forge pots and spoons and speaks, to feed an unconscious Revy and himself. He's literally thrown onto a desert island and does the miraculous job of not only keeping them alive, but giving them a life. Yet he never complains, even mentally; he accepts their current existence and does everything in his power to take care of them.

It's funny to say this, but I really liked the shark. I liked the multiple meanings behind it; a symbol of Rock fighting nature, fighting fate, fighting to find a new definition for who he is. And it's not an easy battle, even with Revy - her Beretta - at his side. When the shark turned tail, I cheered as Rock grabbed and hauled it back onto shore, so desperate to win because he needed to and not because he had to. And, just as he mourned the sailor's death, he mourns the shark. Rock's a changed man, but still holds that essential goodness that not even death can change.

And then he's rewarded with a conscious Revy, and we readers get to see that what Rock feels isn't strictly one-sided. She's been vulnerable before and never acknowledges those moments of weakness. Now she can't, and won't, hide from him - physically, mentally, emotionally. They're equals now, and Revy recognizes it.

[I went and read the unedited version at medmin. Very, very evocative. It left my mouth a little dry, actually. The first time they laid together was sublime; there was no need to describe more than what lay between them and around them. The second time was stirring, and I especially loved when they spoke with their eyes. Acceptance of one another in body and spirit. You also describe their encounter with a certain earthy realism. Lovers don't always spew poetry and music when they come together; sometimes it's teasing and fun and playful and just a little rough. The best part was when she bit his lip, 'cause even Rock needs to remember what's important. Although I liked the shark's tooth, too; nice touch.]

Finally, there's homeward bound. Revy wins for threatening to do violence against her rescuers, and Dutch is awesome because he deadpans so very well. And for saying Chang was 'tickled pink'; I still giggle when I read that. I was impressed that Revy and Rock stuck out the no cigarette rule as long as they did, though.

*deep sigh* Wow. I don't think I said this enough, but I really loved this story. I'd be thrilled to read more of your Black Lagoon fics, because I have little doubt that they'll be of high caliber quality. And perhaps with a little Rock/Revy action for fun. *bows* Thank you for posting this.
loonchefsa chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
AWESOME, one of the best ive read so far. hope to read a few more
TonyPartridge30 chapter 1 . 1/22/2008
I liked it immensely. You remained true to the characters, and the gritty rawness of it was an interesting twist.

I like what you did with Rock; necessity does change people.

The lemons weren't too much, I think. Appropriate to a certain extent, as they had to find some way to pass the time.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read. Great work.
36 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3