Reviews for The Boggart
Amazing
P chapter 1 . 3/17/2014
Great story!
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
Oh...nice stuff! Never thought of it that way!
Hatgooch chapter 1 . 12/22/2011
You're a genius. You get Snape almost like JKR or Alan Rickman do. Much applause :)
enomix chapter 1 . 10/5/2010
FantasyFan5 chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
-speechless-

That was PERFECT!

I would quote lines, but I'm on my phone and it's difficult. Just know that there is no way you could have done a better job on this.
The Ramen Master chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Nicely written, intriguing as well.
shyfoxling chapter 1 . 7/31/2009
I liked it! Nice "missing moment".
onoM chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
I really like the fact that you pull a reference from the books and add your own take on what happened off-screen, so to speak. I feel like it does the books justice. (:

Parts I liked were the glass slipping from his hand, the use of short, single-sentence paragraphs to paint a picture of the boggart (each descriptive paragraph reads like a breath, it's a technique I very much approve of. Great pace!), and Severus' thoughts on Albus Dumbledore's true feelings. Very insightful.

I don't have much experience with keeping things precisely aligned with canon, but I have to say I'm tempted to try now. I've always been more of a 'change one thing and see what happens' sort of writer, more interested in the character study that results than in keeping the characters true. Like my story 'We Sort Too Soon', the one thing I changed was Severus' choice at the Sorting Hat. He chose love over ambition. My story is a study about the cascading effect of a single choice.

I'm a tinkerer at heart, and I'm finding it to be a failing of mine. Not that I resent my stories, but I now notice that I've been writing stories that really haven't pushed me as a writer. I think my next story will be straight from canon, and I'll try my hardest to let it speak for itself this time!

I think you really understand the character of Severus Snape. Perhaps you empathize with him, I know I do. Even in my first story, 'Crucifix', I made mention of the fact that he loved Lily Evans. It just seemed obvious to me, which is really the reason I wrote 'We Sort Too Soon' in the first place. It's comforting to know that there are authors out there who are willing to put aside the popular pairings and focus on the really complex characters. And, in my opinion, there is no character in the Potterverse more complex, or worthy of unraveling, than Severus Snape.

One thing that seemed out of place to me was the blood spreading out from her heart. I can understand the imagery, but it just seemed forced. I think it would've retained just as much meaning without the blood. Was there a particular reason why you felt the blood was necessary to get your meaning across?

I very much enjoyed this story! I hope you'll write another soon, it's always nice to read a story that portrays such a flawed and human character. Best of luck!

~Ben
Morgaine chapter 1 . 3/23/2009
This was recommended by Memory.

I normally don't read stories that involve Lily, but I am glad I read this one. It was truly beautiful.

/M
duj chapter 1 . 3/14/2009
Well-written, both technically and emotionally. Good work.

However, I don't agree with your portrayal of Snape as someone who feels himself (or is) generally "tough, unflappable ...(with) cold resentment" and there are some bits that don't mesh with canon.

For instance, Snape has been applying for the DADA post since the first time he approached Dumbledore for a job, hence much more than "the third consecutive year".

Also it's only the Harry-filter that makes readers suppose Draco wasn't much hurt by Buckbeak. He was still in the hospital wing at dinnertime after a morning injury, and "didn't return to class until Thursday" indicates that he missed one or more schooldays. The staff (not just Snape) certainly seemed to believe in his injury. Can you imagine McGonagall putting up with his bandages for weeks, and even agreeing to reschedule Quidditch matches, for something that Poppy could tell her was a mere scratch?

(BTW "Beautiful, like on the last day of her life"? Presumably, he hadn't seen her for months by then, since she was in hiding and then under Fisdelius...)
Lady Memory chapter 1 . 3/14/2009
Carissima,

il tuo messaggio è stato una graditissima sorpresa e perciò ho cercato il mezzo più rapido per risponderti. Devi infatti sapere che non ho la possibilità al momento di fare il login da casa, e sono perciò costretta a fare tutto dall'ufficio... quando sono in ufficio, ovviamente, il che non accade tutti i giorni (sono una consulente esterna).

Ma mi spiaceva davvero tanto non farti almeno sapere che avevo letto ed apprezzato il tuo messaggio. Poichè è possibile lasciare una review senza login, ho pensato di mandarti almeno due righe. Mi riservo naturalmente di scriverti meglio la settimana prossima, non appena siederò di nuovo alla mia scrivania.

Nel frattempo, grazie per i tuoi complimenti, e permettimi di dirti, cara "compaesana", che il tuo inglese è molto meglio del mio.

Ho letto il tuo profilo e le tue storie, e le ho trovate eccellenti. Questa del Boggart in particolare è davvero bella, commovente, interessante e ben scritta. Forse un po' lunga in alcuni punti, ma fondamentalmente bilanciata. La consiglierò ad altre amiche di penna (non italiane).

Avrei altro da aggiungere, ma qui non posso. Se vuoi velocizzare il procedimento e non ti spiace rivelare la tua mail, usa il servizio email del sito. Ti posso rispondere sulla posta normale, e questo posso farlo anche da casa.

Nel frattempo, ancora grazie per la tua lettera.

Cari saluti da Roma.

Mariaemilia
MissFictional chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
I'm at awe.

That was brilliantly done :]
S.M. Eveliar chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
wow...

this story blew me away

i like these kinds of stories, the stories within a story that explains a whole lot about someone

you integrated facts from the series flawlessly, and your writing style is unique and admirably top-notch

i thoroughly enjoyed this story

kudos!

~stasia everila
crazygal4lyf chapter 1 . 5/25/2008
Oh dear, you do hate me don't you? You're TRYING to make me cry, now! Lol.

It's very good. Sad... I love it. )

~ Suzi