Reviews for Woodstock Snape
00 chapter 24 . 7/6/2013
Update this someday. Please.
Librasmile chapter 11 . 3/28/2011
Well that was sweet. And I love Sly and the Family Stone. Man I remember listening to their music when I was a kid. It's amazing how much more...rich music was back then. What the heck happened?

I've been listening to Jane Monheit's album Dreamland something or other and she does a version of If (If a picture paints a thousand words then why can't I paint you?). Breaks my heart every time I hear it. It reminds me of when I was a kid in the 70s and I would look up at the sky and hope and dream and HOPE...those feelings were bittersweet even then. They were too old for me but I felt them. I can remember that lemon-dandelion scented sweetness of summer and that ridiculous childlike belief that love could make everything all right...sigh...good times...You got a little bit of that going on in there. Nice.
Very Small Prophet chapter 22 . 3/22/2011
Magical creatures love young Sev (as well they should). Earth spirits warn him of danger, a vaguely puppy-like creature of mist and shadow adopts him as leader of its pack, and a professional toy-making elf with a maternal streak does craftwork for him out of the goodness of her heart (or something).

And will that batch of goat milk soap turn out extra special because of the wandless magic flowing from Sev’s fingers and stirring tools as he loses himself in the process of brewing? As we all learned on our first day of potions class, foolish wand waving is completely unnecessary for the creation of magical potions.
Very Small Prophet chapter 19 . 3/21/2011
Wizarding folk right and left are identifying Sev. Too bad he won’t be able to get back to ride the magical rollercoaster. He’d be flying free by the end of the ride for certain. Fly, Serpent Rider, fly! You don’t need a Dark Lord to teach you how. No, someday you’ll be teaching him. (In my fanfic universe, Snape does teach the Dark Lord to fly, but he himself does not learn it from Lily, as many fans have him do. He researches it at the Dark Lord’s orders and modifies an existing ancient spell that he discovers.)

And it’s a good thing Sev didn’t get a chance to levitate Azalea’s baseballs; the nearest witch or wizard working the fair would have been on him in a flash, marching him off to talk to his (supposedly magical) guardians. “You let your little boy run around with a wand at his age? Yes, he’s obviously talented enough, but you can’t let a child with that much power just run wild. He’ll be Transfiguring fireflies into dragons before you know it, or Muggles into manticores.” Maybe the mysterious Jack would have intercepted them. You keep mentioning him for a reason, after all.
Very Small Prophet chapter 17 . 3/21/2011
So Sev isn’t the only magic kid in this crowd. I assume it is only because of her magic that fragile Yesmina feels comfortable about doing something that would otherwise be far too risky for her. I, too, have a genetic defect that makes me fragile - brittle bones in my case - and it has caused me to be, quite rationally, a tremendous physical coward from the age of six. There’s no way I would make a jump like that at any age. I only I had magic that ensured I always landed soft, I wouldn’t be sitting here with a broken humerus. from an ordinary stumble. Or maybe I’d take Skeke-Gro on a regular basis, as a preventative. Mina and Sev - they know what’s happening. Mina is just less flashy about it.
Very Small Prophet chapter 15 . 3/20/2011
Dark Shadows! How I loved Dark Shadows! And Labor Day of 1969 was right about the time I got hooked on it. My family went camping that weekend (to Lake Ozette) and I spent most of the time wondering if Quentin was going to turn into a werewolf (he didn’t). Quentin was my favorite (tall and dangerous and dark-haired, just like someone else we know), and I’ve preferred werewolves to vampires ever since. It holds in the Potterverse: Lupin may be spineless, but he’s not as insipid as Sanguini.
Very Small Prophet chapter 12 . 3/20/2011
I like the way nine-year-old Sev automatically assumes he has plenty of power to do a major weather-working, traditionally a group effort by an entire coven. He just doesn’t know the technique. I also appreciated the sudden appearance of the cool, rational Slytherin-to-be who reasons like an academic and argues like a lawyer. Don’t let anyone lay guilt on you, Sev! It’s your weakness; once you give in you’ll be enslaved for life.

I’m usually wary of stories that stray too far from the context of the Potterverse and are populated almost entirely by Original Characters, but your OCs have real complexity (not a Mary Sue among them). You make me care about them more than I do about many canon characters (sorry, but I cannot care about Tonks and Lupin). Another writer who really knows how to handle Original Characters is Aurette; her Regency Sev has an entire Muggle family of OCs. I care more about them than for any Weasley ever spawned, yet they seem necessary, not intrusive. The same is true of the Muggle family of Counterculture Sev.
Very Small Prophet chapter 9 . 3/20/2011
Severus Snape, potioneer to the stars!
Very Small Prophet chapter 8 . 3/20/2011
I love Sev as a slightly confused junior hippie. Just reading the descriptions of the clothing makes me nostalgic, and I grew up about as far from the centers of hippiedom as it’s possible to be and still be in the coterminous U.S. You’ve really captured the feel of the era. Sev’s ignorance about sex, as compared to the false sophistication one sees in little children now, is also true to the period.
Very Small Prophet chapter 6 . 3/20/2011
Yes, Sev, you ARE going to be a wizard when you grow up, and a good ‘un. Those kids no longer have anything to fear from adult evil-doers; Severus Snape, famed protector of the innocent, is getting an early start on his career as Guardian of Children. I have read one theory that Sev came to Hogwarts knowing so many hexes because Eileen taught them to him as self-defence against the Moor murders, a series of pedophile killings that occurred in the Manchester area in the Sixties ( wiki/ Moors_murders). Although he now has a wand (Love the Latino grandfather!), I’m sure Sev’s wandless magic is advanced for his age. He will also be brewing some spectacular “herbal teas” with his new potions kit. Those Muggles don't know how lucky they are.
Librasmile chapter 10 . 3/8/2011
Wow, that was weird, and freaky and amazing. People on the album covers talking back to people. Freaky! But very...American and enchanted. That's...you know I sometimes think it's hard to bring a sense of enchantment to Americana if that makes any sense. You did that here. I say do your own thing. You've got the chops.

Meanwhile, I hate to think what the images of the Wizard King ( the flower turning into Voldemort was very original and CHILLING, same for the Jim Morrison cover ) Well done.

I didn't read the Jack Johnson poem. Gotta come back to that. Trying to get through the story as a whole first.
Librasmile chapter 9 . 3/8/2011
Okay, Severus making tea for Joan Baez backstage at Woodstock...awesome, lol.

I'm going to start looking for him in photos now, lol.

This was fun. I don't know where it's going. But I'm enjoying the ride for now.

Although I fear that Angel is going to get himself into some trouble he can't get himself out of.
Librasmile chapter 5 . 3/5/2011
Damn, can't these kids catch a break?

And what's up with Angel that he doesn't freak out when Sev uses magic?

And why are there no magical authorities in America looking for him? Or did we kill off all of our witches in your universe? That's Salem for ya...
Librasmile chapter 4 . 3/5/2011
Okay, a riot in 70s NY...wow, just...wow...
Librasmile chapter 3 . 3/5/2011
Okay I probably won't review every chapter, but this is amazing. Haven't seen this before in Potter fandom. It's fascinating. Writers usually don't bring in something as grim and grounded in reality as the projects. And you do it believably. Well done. Gosh I remember my city in the 70s...shabby and rundown before the 80s glitz took over...you're bringing back some memories here...