Reviews for Red and Black
charapa chapter 9 . 11/4/2013
This was gorgeous.
Autumn Ether chapter 9 . 11/4/2009
What a perfectly chilling and immensely enjoyable story. Your descriptions were wonderfully clear and poetic, and small details here and there really stood out, especially those about Karasu and his "origins", so to speak. Characterization was excellent; reading this story, one easily can hear the different voices, and see the various characters' body language and expressions. Karasu's characterization was especially unnerving, and had me alternating from disgust to amusement to downright fear.

The one line that I found really enjoyable and effective was when the various figures in the dreamscape said "He'll stay another night". Each time, it seemed, those words got more menacing, and circumstances more desperate, but also the reader understands that Kurama's logic and manipulative nature at the end will prevail.

It's rare to find a story this well- written, thought provoking and entertaining in any category on this site.

nancy chapter 9 . 10/5/2009
I liked it n.n ...yes shortest reveiw ever lol -.-
Katia-chan chapter 4 . 7/13/2009
You throw me so off balance with the mix of humor and unsettling dreamscapes, and I really do just love it. I go from smiling at Botan, to shivering, because the way you write, I can vividly imagine the touches and things.

And the whole thing with Dream, where he just keeps making mistakes, and he's not working with someone as friendly as Death, and he just keeps tripping into these pitfalls, it's great. So often, everyone just wants to rescue him from Karasu, and this isn't it. With him usually so charming, he really loses ground here. And my stomach's all up in butterflies, because the tables keep tipping, and I have no idea which way you're going to fling me next.

And as we go along with the lullabies, the repeated line thing is really awesome. It puts me in mind of the Gaiman-and-other person Mr. Fox story, “It is not so, nor it was not so. And God forbid it should be so" lines. It has that similar feel, like the mantra in a fairy tale.
Katia-chan chapter 3 . 7/13/2009 your/Gaiman's/whatever's Death, so much. I know she's his creation, but you write her so unbelievably well. The fact that she's so wonderfully endearing should worry me a little I think, but it doesn't.

And I'm utterly in love with the fact that the entire thing with Death was just an interlude. You made me think it was over, that I could let out my breath, and then bam, he's in just as much trouble before, and he's powerless, and it's such a stomach dropping sensation. Also the bones breaking with sound and no pain, that was...I don't even know. Unsettling in the most erie way.

And Gods your pirates interjections amuse me. Because Death is getting a voiceover from the lady at that point. It doesn't ruin the flow, just makes me smile.

You've got this thing turned around so lovely, I never know which way I'm facing. It's like doing a flip under water when there's no light to tell you which way you're facing. This must be one heck of a timeline to play with, and you've got it flowing seamlessly.
Katia-chan chapter 2 . 7/13/2009
You drop such delightful little tidbits, even to just the home scenes, and they just make me ache. You know how to project their closeness, as well as their distance. But it's never overdone.

-“So you three had fun?”

“Of course.” A strange look, and she didn’t comment, and he didn’t say anything more.-

And it's just...their whole relationship, right there. There's so much not-saying, even while they're both so intent on making normalcy. And you never have to spell it out, it just sits there in these lines. You pandor to my weaknesses, scarily well, you know.

And then you get to the dreams, and the twisting, and I just don't know which way is up anymore. I even got called away part way through, and came back and reread, and still felt like you were leading me down the rabbit hole. The snippets twine together so well, so that you've got us confused, but also with enough idea of the plot to want to know what's coming next. And your images...I'm especially in love with the "mockery of a human being, a body of ice, roses for hair and leaves for eyes." It appeals to the beautiful and the creepy. And when you put it with the line from the song "dimes on your eyes," the two blend together beautifully.

-It sounded like reading - the words black, dropped on white, rustling paper.-

I can't quite pinpoint what I love about this phrase, but it really jumped out at me. So...heavy, and it gives me pictures of rolling dice, or casting runes. I don't know how you do it. So few words, so many images.

You're good dear, that's what I have to say to you.
Katia-chan chapter 1 . 7/13/2009
So, I am pretty much the worst person alive. But I'm getting to this now, and humbly beg your love and pardon for being...more than a year or two late in reading/reviewing. You've combined two of my greatest loves; you should have been sure I wouldn't stay away forever.

-With Kurama, I was perhaps not as fully invested

I had been last time, or the time before that. And then he killed me. That… changed things.-

You know how to put a twist on things right from the get-go. He's always seen as so obsessed, and then to imply that maybe he hadn't been giving his whole attention, it's a really great way to snap the plot into focus.

-I’m very close to him, and he doesn’t even see it.-

Damn woman, your ending's creepy, and makes me keep sort of glancing around the room. You take these little prologues, and they look so tiny and harmless, and then you throw things in there like that, and I'm suddenly not sure what I'm holding anymore. And also, because I know you, I start to flinch now, because I know there's so much more where that came from, and I'm fully expecting to cry or need to go find somewhere bright and sunny and crowded later.

And it was the perfect spot to divide the lyrics. A lovely cut-away, and then straight back into the intensity. I have a little music video going in my head.

NeuroticSquirrel chapter 9 . 6/27/2009
This was a gorgeous story. I'm always wary of crossovers but you did this perfectly. I hope you have written more.
Kitsune Alchemist chapter 9 . 3/13/2009
What can I say? Amazing, Confusing, Lovely, Demented, and above all, Perfect.

I sat there for the last chapter and kept thinking, "Maybe, the fact that there is "nothing" is much worse than there being "something". Honestly, I can only suspect as I have never read Sandman, though admittedly, Neil Gaiman is one of the few people that I honestly worship with all my heart, so I probably need to...

The dreams confused me so, and yet, through all of it, everything kept a sort of weird, twisted logic, and went in order, and was entirely amazingly perfect.

I adore this story.
creepstakes chapter 9 . 2/25/2009
This was inspiring to say the least.

Lovely to see Sandman and Yu Yu Hakusho smushed together like this, and in such a wonderfully creepy way too! I enjoyed all of it. I can't quite put it into words. It's rare that there's good Karasu/Kurama fic out there.

You make my inner Karasu fangirl very, very happy.

Oh and I love the moments where Kurama and Kuwabara talk, especially the ending. M.

Thank you for writing this! You brightened up my otherwise dull day.
Sekah chapter 9 . 1/26/2009
Good Christ! I'm not even sure I followed all of that, but Good Christ. It's rather like that one Moliere play, School for Wives, isn't it? You're rooting for Kurama, you think that Kurama's the good guy, if a bit ad hoc, but then at the end his complete indifference to Karasu and Karasu's wants, needs, anything is almost frightening.

I loved every second of this fic, and I'm very sad that it's over. Such a bittersweet ending, too! Thank you for this.
BlueUtopiah chapter 9 . 1/23/2009
OH MY GOD KUWABARA RESUCING KURAMA FOR THE WIN. I can't tell you how great that is.

First off, you posted two chapters so quickly that I didn't get a chance to review chapter 8. Loved Despair. It has been years since I've read The Sandman (in fact I found all my graphic novels while umpacking) and you've reminded me of just how bleak Despair's setting really is: the reflections, the hook in the mouth. Very very nice. I like how she tries to bring in Kurama and he almost feels it for a second. She can be very convincing at times.

The whole discussion at Koenma's is hysterical in both chapters. I think my favourite line was: "I bet there are alphabetized boxes of torture techniques under a big sign that says ‘training’." I read that section to my man and he laughed as hard as I did over that. But really, you have everyone's characterizations down. I feel like I'm spying on them when I read, it's that good.

Then, the rescue. I had forgotten about the key, it was so subtle when you introduced it - which is good writing btw. And Kurama kissing Karasu to distract him? Lovely, it was a very climatic moment. And, of course, Kurama gets away by the skin of his teeth, with help, and he acts like it was No Big Deal. Because he's KURAMA. And Kuwabara saying: "Damn it, I save your ass and I’m still the one saying thank you..." is also amusing and ironic and so right.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the circling crows with the poem almost killed me dead. This is such a great tale. Well done.
NyteKit chapter 9 . 1/22/2009
That was so beyond, so far past awesome. This is one of the best fanfictions I have ever read. Truly. This ending was perfect on so many levels, and although the previous chapter didn't make much sense to me the first time I read it, it worked out better with this one to go along. But that's also why this is one of my favorites: it made me think. The way you wrote forced your readers to look between the lines and try to figure out the real character and the character's motives. And these aren't even your own creations! That's the best part! That you can control them with such ease that you make their actions seem normal and they aren't yours. Amazing.

So, a few lingering questions: Karasu didn't belong to any of the Seven? Was that the final conclusion, that he was Kurama's, after all, in that they were the same but Kurama "pretended" better? Also, Hiei wanting to see Kurama kill Karasu is considerate why? Because it would have allowed Kurama to stop pretending?

Oh, and while I'm on this "pretending" trip, I love the end when Kuwabara tries to find out what was behind Kurama's door. It amuses me that it's the true him that Kurama doesn't want Kuwabara to see. And that he practically tells him this, but in his secret Kurama fashion that no one can understand. Wonderful job on this story all the way through! If you write another, I will definitely read it.
thoth-moon chapter 9 . 1/22/2009
What an ending!

It took me a moment to realize what you were doing with the "one crow, two crows" thing, but once I caught it that became my favorite little bit of the chapter. Followed by the little exchange between Kurama and dying(?-they're in a dream state, what would we call that, an astral death? *What does that even mean?*) Karasu.

I think this chapter-mainly the dialogue between Kuwabara and Kurama-was a bit of a mindfuck, and I liked that. Excellent ending to a very ... *surreal* story XP
Jaded Scorpio chapter 9 . 1/21/2009
You've finished at last, and it's quite a gem, multifacted, and amorphous. And Kuwabara got to be the hero! (He thinks. Maybe.) I love the Sandman series, and I wish I saw it incorporated into more stories, but most wouldn't have the talent to do it ;)

My favorite part in the last chapter was Kurama leaving the rose trail as he was dragged down the hall. Their exchange there was right out of a fable, and ironically I happened to have the song "Ghost Love" playing in the background as I read it. Well, I enjoyed the play on words there anyway.

Some elements still confuse me, and I'll have to read it as a whole now. But I like that it was written as a dream, and the characters flowed along with the changing scenes and pieces as one would in a dream.

I hope you will do more YYH fics in the future. Perhaps you could do a crossover with Fruits Basket?
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »