Reviews for Slave Child
apairofraggedclaws chapter 17 . 9/16
I enjoyed the beginning of this story a lot, and it was definitely fulfilling its claim to be in the genres of Hurt/Comfort/Angst. But the transition from bitter!Snape to fatherly!Snape happened way too quickly for me. This may be largely a matter of personal preference, because in mentorship stories with these two, I can’t get enough of that awkward, angry, hurtful period when they are really getting to know one another. Slavery fics make me pretty uncomfortable and anxious, but I have read several amazing ones that use the situation to amp up the angst factor between them before turning into Harry/Severus or a protective mentorship.

For my tastes, I think part of the problem is that Snape’s snafu with the journal was so extreme and so one-sided that it became a personality conversion event, a wrong that Severus must always strive to make up for. There’s also the issue that while Dumbledore and Pomfrey both felt terrible for Harry, they also both immediately assured him that Snape is a very good man and Harry has nothing to worry about. With the canon Snape, I would say he’s an honorable man deep down, but Dumbledore and Pomfrey would still be extremely concerned about sending a grieving, sickly Harry off with him, given his temper, his own traumatic past, and his irrational hatred of Harry. Of course, characterization is the author’s choice, and in this story, Snape is really just a huge sweet teddy bear underneath his guarded exterior, with his years of abject cruelty written off to a misunderstanding.

Another reason the angst isn’t prolonged is that Harry doesn’t have a temper in this story; with these two people, Harry’s flares of rage are the perfect countersign to Snape’s button-pushing and self-justification, and I expect them to continue with cycles of fury and coldness for a long time before Snape can break his habit of Harry-baiting. But again, characterization is up to the author’s preferences, and Harry is just not angry in this story. I enjoy a depressed, falling-apart Harry as much as the next schadenfreude-seeking fanfic reader, and I am actually really liking the suicidal aspect—not that I LIKE him being in that mind frame, but I find this particular portrayal of it to be very realistic and understated, not overdone like so many other fics. I think this is a very understandable way for him to feel at this point in his life, including the drive to become a better fighter so he can kill Voldemort faster so he can kill himself faster, and I am enjoying the cathartic experience of reading his journey. I just can’t help but wish that he had retained a little more of his anger or that Snape had retained more of his cruel streak in order to prolong the drama.

All this said, I like this story enough that I am going to keep reading for awhile and I’ll just have to hope that the father-son relationship doesn’t get too sickly sweet for my tastes. The bottom line of my review is that most of my critiques come down to a matter of personal taste, and I think this author just doesn’t cherish the awkward and hurtful period of Harry–Snape like I do. (Also, I am aware that it’s too late to influence the story with my review, but I thought I’d post anyway to give other interested readers a better sense of the dynamic of the mentorship, and if I ever come back looking for favorite stories or if you update after a long break, I look for my own reviews to refresh my mind.) I’m looking forward to seeing where this plot goes. Thank you for your writing!
Perfect.
Airim chapter 79 . 8/10
I cried reading the story. Now I cry because your amazing ff hasn't been updated anymore! Please come back!
Raiise chapter 79 . 5/2
Amazing story, thank you
talented2 chapter 16 . 4/13
I wonder weather a strong fammiliar binding like an adoption (or marriage) might overule the slavery curse. Guess I've got to read on
Oh my! I loved the story!
I wish there was more and more and more to infinity but that was love! Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful story. Loved it. Thank you!
Jasmine Julia Soleo Bias chapter 7 . 11/12/2018
the start of stories like this always makes my heart hurt but they are really rewarding when you stick by them..
Jasmine Julia Soleo Bias chapter 13 . 11/12/2018
a mcgonagall move! 'have a biscuit harry'
Jasmine Julia Soleo Bias chapter 13 . 11/12/2018
a mcgonagall move! 'have a biscuit harry'
Maashellee chapter 79 . 9/3/2018
I have re-visited this story after many many moons... and I still love it as fiercely as I did the first time I read it. Thank you so much if you are still around 3 3
Irene34 chapter 74 . 8/12/2018
Well, Ramon is a Spanish name, not a Portuguese one...
Ellyana Zoe chapter 79 . 8/10/2018
Bonjour
Je t'écris en français parce que je ne parle pas anglais. J'ai lu ta fiction par Dyneen et je voulais juste te dire que j'adore. J'espère que tu vas la continuer et que la suite va bientôt arriver !
Merci beaucoup !
BlueMoon007 chapter 33 . 4/27/2018
Finally, Harry isnt perfect.
BlueMoon007 chapter 24 . 4/26/2018
And now I'm a sobbing mess.
LooneyFirely314 chapter 24 . 2/24/2018
I just want you to know, this is one of my favorite chapters of any story in all of fanfiction. The exchange "they would love me. They would want me." and then just straight "I love you. I want you." has me in tears every single time. I don't write myself, so this is the first review I've written. I just really needed you to know how fantastic this chapter is, and how much it has meant to me because I think about it all the freaking time.
3,960 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »