Reviews for Parlor Tricks
Shemiki chapter 41 . 6/26/2015
After having read this entire story from its start, I would like to share my thoughts on it. This is the finest Kataang AU I have ever read. Lyra does such an amazing job of taking these characters and putting them in a setting that most fanfiction writers would never dream of putting them in: the Prohibition era. The creativity to set the story in this time period led to a piece of fanfiction that was truly unique and unlike any other. I have all praise and no complaints for this story. The characters may not have been the same characters from the show simply because of the different lives they have in this story, but they still feel true to the original source material and exhibit the qualities that made fans identify with them in the first place. I love the development of the romance between Aang and Katara; being an avid Kataang shipper I have read much Kataang fanfiction, but this story certainly spins more emotional investment between these two characters than any other. I can confidently declare that this is the only piece of Kataang fanfiction where I have felt the characters and their relationships come just as alive for me as they did in the show. I love the large city setting of this story, and I love the touches that make it seem all the more faithful to its Prohibition-era inspiration, such as the jazz age slang (I think I'm going to add the word "copacetic" to my permanent vocabulary). I love the parallels to the show and the clever ways that Lyra has incorporated some of the more unlikely episodes for the setting (I especially loved the Cave of Two Lovers taking place in a closet). Various other touches, such as Sokka's "boomerang" being an M1911 pistol with a powerful recoil and Appa being a large sheepdog, simply add to the delight that comes from reading this story.

I am truly saddened to hear that Lyralocke passed away; she has created a story that has struck a chord with many readers such as myself. This story demonstrates that she had great potential in her endeavours, and the world is a darker place now that her potential has been cut short.
Ameliea chapter 41 . 6/16/2015
I remember reading this story back in 2010, when I was 14 years old. I also remember crying when I found out Lyralocke had passed away. This story has a special place in my heart.
I think the fact that it's unfinished even reflects her life. - I didn't know her, but her writing was lively and wonderful, and I could tell she was such a beautiful person - and her book was not completed. However, I also believe you can find peace with the unfinished.

Rest in peace still, Lyra.
GriffinGirl8655 chapter 41 . 5/20/2015
I'm sorry you won't be writing anymore- I really enjoyed your story, even if I'm enjoying it 5 years after you've said you won't be writing it. However, if you ever find the inspiration or the need to come back and finish this- please do. :D Your story is fantastic.
Swoolfe11 chapter 41 . 1/4/2015
Brooooooo, you should finish the series... Pleeeeaaaassssseeeee. For me? Hahaha anyways, this is one of the best Kataang stories I have ever read and I wasn't really into the AU stories at first, but this one is fantastic. You should really think about continuing this storie with a little more twists and turns for the Kataang relationship. But I think that you should, unlike the series, add some more battles before Aang defeats Boss Ozai, or however you want to end it. Anyways, GREAT STORY, HOPE TO SEE MORE CHAPTERS:) (;
jimster3644 chapter 2 . 5/1/2014
just casually "oh hey aang by the way you're the avatar"
Avatarlover123 chapter 41 . 2/11/2014
Lyra you were awesome and all of your stories are amazing i am deeply saddened to hear that you aren't with us anymore , and though i never met you i will miss you deeply . I am sorry for your loss now , i wish you the best as i try not to cry and tell other people how amazing this story and it's writer is .I wish she wouldn't of gone so suddenly , she seemed like any amazing person and though it was almost 4 years ago she will be missed , i am sorry she isn't hear with us today , Love , Avatarlover123 p.s. thank you for keeping her stories up and being brave so that we could read here amazing writing .
Avatarlover123 chapter 28 . 2/11/2014
i died this chapter , i can't take it my Kataang heart is not that strong its like a bullet to the heart . OUCH ! Well i'm really loving your story so far , your an amazing writer :) well next chapter here i come !
Rangerr77 chapter 41 . 1/28/2014
That was by far the best AU I have ever read of avatar and I'm sorry that Lyra could not be here to read all of our praise you will be missed ️
The Storm chapter 41 . 11/15/2013
I have no words. Incredible story, just... Absolutely amazing. Cheers. To you and your wonderful art of writing. Maybe someday someone will continue this story... Rest in peace, you're very missed...
Photovoltaic chapter 41 . 11/1/2013
Hope you are in a better place now.
Thanks, for everything.
Q.E.P.D., Cassie.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/26/2013
woah do the aces have more than 5 airial kills each, if they dont there no ace
BrowniePoints chapter 1 . 7/17/2013
Okay, usually I don't review until I reach the end of a work, or until I find something that I really like about it.
That second bit is why I'm reviewing the first chapter. This is Made Of Win.
...Sure, I have to look up every third thing the characters say, because the slang is weird and I had no idea what a speakeasy was, but the premise is great and I can sincerely say that as of now, this is better than any modern AU I've ever read for Avatar.
So let me see about reading some plot, and then hopefully I'll review again later on with more than a chapter to go on.
Rochman chapter 41 . 5/28/2013
Rest in peace Lyra, you will be missed but never forgotten. this is an amazing story, and on her live journal she offered someone else the honor of finishing her story, i was wondering if someone accepted the offer yet or will the story never be finished, i would have accepted but im to late which brings great sadness to me, and would be more saddening to find out no one accepted her offer, especially since that was the last thing she asked of her readers, did no one accept to finish her legacy. Good bye Lyralocke we will never forget you, may your legacy live on, and hopefully someone will finish your story and complete your legacy, Rest in peace, your with God now.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
wait how old was your sister
oreocheesecakes chapter 41 . 4/17/2013
Hi! I know you probably won't be able to read this, and that I started reading this a bit late, but I just want to say that this is one of the best fanfictions I've ever read, finished or unfinished. You're an amazing writer, and you will be (and are being) missed. I read every single chapter (and that's coming from someone who's more fond of one-shots and isn't much of an AU person xD) and I want to thank you for devoting a good chunk of your time, imagination, energy, and awesomeness to writing this story (as well as your others :)). I loved how you paralleled each chapter to the show's episodes.
I'm sad that you'll never be able to finish this and that I won't be able to read any new stories by you, but I'm glad you're in a better place :) Rest in peace. :)