Reviews for For The Boy Who Has Everything
Munku-JGSPTV chapter 29 . 8/5/2014
What an amazing amazing fic! The best thing I've read in such a long time! I love the slow character development and there's so many mysteries I'm curious about. Can you please post more soon?
Wordy Rappinghood chapter 29 . 4/23/2014
I began your story last night and finished today and I'm having a love/hate relationship with this story already. I'm enjoying your plot, pace and dialogue immensely. The partial things Harry knows/overhears/misunderstands are all very well done. However, whilst I recognise that Harry certainly does have the flaws that are *constantly* being pointed out to him, I have to say that the way he is being treated is somewhat abusive – a very ‘children should be seen and not heard’ type of approach seemingly designed to crush his spirit. No child or teenager can thrive without mutual understanding.

I'm trying to decide if this is either a very nuanced and clever take on Stockholm Syndrome (with Harry so bereft of anyone giving his insecurities the time of day that his will is utterly broken - a classic form of abuse - that he starts to hope even Snape might give him some tiny affirmation) or if it is a more subtle than usual ‘apology’ story for Snape. I'm still undecided which.

I will say that I find Harry very in-character and well written, Snape’s dialogue is good but he’s a little too like the films in his lack of overt emotion (unlike the books where he is very reactive and can be over-emotional). However, Lupin is, at times, out of character to a startling degree. I understand that it is a plot device to put Harry in the position of only having Snape to turn to, but it feels off and interrupts the narrative flow. It also feels wrong that Snape remains persistently (even after twenty-nine chapters), and possibly wilfully, ignorant of Harry’s upbringing.

I don't care for the Ron- and other character-bashing. I would have preferred a more nuanced approach to the formation and re-formation of relationships. After all, Harry already knew what it was like to be despised. Using the unsubtle Ron/Twins device was unnecessary, given all Harry had been through in his early life. He had already made certain connections for himself by OotP about his childhood and Snape’s, some right and some wrong.

The main issue I have with this story is the notion that Snape is not responsible for his own poor choices in his life and somehow it’s all James Potter’s fault. I find this as ideologically distasteful as it is canonically inaccurate. It’s clear from the time we see Snape as a child that he already has certain attitudes against Muggles and Muggleborns: Lily is the exception for him, not the rule. Throughout the Prince’s Tale, we see Snape getting closer to those supremacist beliefs, just as we see him enjoying the same sort of friendship with Avery and Mulciber and making the same excuses as he criticises Lupin for with James and Sirius. It does a disservice to canon to try to gloss over Snape's flaws in the way many stories do. I hope your story doesn't go further in that direction. It is wise to remember that canonical Snape would have sacrificed a baby to keep Lily alive for himself – this should never be forgotten because that is as flawed as a man can be.

I think the bottom line is that bullies are never single-faceted people: James wasn’t, and neither was Snape (and Snape really was a truly shocking adult bully of children in his care). A wholesale denigration of James Potter's character to bolster Snape's is, for me, a poor narrative tool. Better to bring out the facets of Snape that are worthy (but not pretend he has no flaws) and show his own development and growth as a person that his own grief and remorse prevented in canon.
WAHA chapter 29 . 2/15/2014
Hi,
I realy like your story a lot. I 've started yesterday from the begining and I just can't stop reading untill the end :) Eventhough the severitus plot is comman, I find yours quite caracters are well designed and aren't too perfect. Snape Harry and Lupin are just wonderful. Sometimes it was killing me to not know what Snape thinks about Harry/Hadrian.
I hope that Harry will not discover anytime soon that Snape is his father because i enjoy the fact that they know but not Harry.
I hope that you will continue this great story because it's worth it :)
Guest chapter 29 . 1/29/2014
Plz update.
bczeigler chapter 29 . 11/22/2013
I seem to have a love/hate relationship with this story. I love it because it's so well written and I'm almost sucked into the story. I hate it because it makes me so damn emotional. Lol I can't wait for the next update.
hbjhjhb chapter 29 . 11/16/2013
AHHH! I love the fact you updated. I can't wait to see where this is going! :)
Lestat Lebrat chapter 1 . 11/8/2013
Never mind me I'll just sit here for another month twiddling my thumbs :) I'm sure I'll find something to do to amuse myself! :D
Sweetdoggie chapter 29 . 10/23/2013
This is a great story. Very interesting. I have a sneaking suspicion that Harry is going to get quite a nasty surprise soon. You've really captured the way they all hide information from him very neatly. Lupin clearly resents Harry for Sirius' death. Instead of hanging around, he needs to go away for a while. Frankly, I don't know why somebody doesn't simply kill Fudge. A bit of poison couldn't be that hard to slip him, could it? In fact, they need to work through the entire list of DE's in the Ministry. I guess I'm kind of ruthless about that sort of thing. Anyway, really enjoying this story. Thanks for sharing your work.
Lexi chapter 29 . 10/20/2013
I liked the letters. It's hard to know which parts were genuine, especially in Hermione's letter. Harry's probably right and the letters were written with the knowledge that Harry wouldn't be the first one to read them. Harry always gets himself into things without meaning to. Now he's stuck helping Draco and only has himself to blame. I'm looking forward to the next part.
Lexi chapter 28 . 10/20/2013
I wonder who Snape was talking to. Was he that worried about Harry? I liked how the first thing Harry did after leaving Snape's room was disobey Snape's warning not to use his wand. Will he ever learn to do what he's told?
Lexi chapter 27 . 10/20/2013
Uh oh, magical coma? That can't be a healthy sleep. Snape should have stayed and kept an eye on him.
Lexi chapter 26 . 10/20/2013
I really like it when you bring in Bill and Charlie Weasley. I hope they can plan a bigger part in this story, even though there are already a lot of characters in it who play a big part. I liked the little exchange between Snape and McGonagall over the sword.
Alexandra Love chapter 29 . 10/20/2013
A set of linked diaries would be really useful! Maybe Snape missed something. It sounds to me like Hermione and Ginny were trying to create a diversion, knowing that some of their gifts would be confiscated and hoping that something that looked innocent would be missed if there were a whole lot of things that didn't look innocent at all. Otherwise, that was way over the top. They know Harry isn't dumb. I loved Harry's jealousy at the end. Update soon, the story's really picking up pace and I love it!
Alexandra Love chapter 28 . 10/20/2013
Harry just can't get anything right. Snape, of course, always assumes Harry does everything on purpose, which is so unfair, but I guess it's become a habit and pattern with the two of them. I loved the scene with Harry helping Draco. I like their growing friendship, even though it's a weird one and based on some pretty big lies and deceptions. I think it's perfect how you're painting Draco as having inner conflict. In a lot of stories he's just suddenly good. Or worse, it turns out he was always good and was just too scared to let anyone see. I like it better that he has to work out what he believes now that he can't believe the same things he used to. Good chapter, just wish it was longer, but I'm glad there's another one to read after this one. I don't think I'm getting email updates for each chapter.
Bonebiddy chapter 29 . 10/14/2013
I'm still really enjoying this story. You are very good at dropping clues and then removing them. I thought with the diary from Hermione that that was how Harry would find out that Snape is his father. Then you removed that as a possibility with Snape commenting on Hermione's poor charms work. Though now that I think of it... Maybe Snape broke the charms on the dairy or maybe Hermione is actually much better than Snape thinks she is... You have broken my brain. In a very good way. Keep up the good work! Thank you for the continuing good read.

BB