Reviews for Because of you
pipinheart chapter 6 . 2/3/2012
A very lovely piece. He lost her, but she loved him dearly, and his friends are around him in the end...Love that bit from the Velvetine Rabbit...
madcloisfan chapter 6 . 10/21/2011
Loved it
mummacass chapter 6 . 1/3/2011
found this story by accident. It made me cry.
letthesongtakeflight chapter 6 . 12/31/2010
Love it! I read the whole thing in one go and it's really really good :]
FeistyFeral chapter 6 . 4/20/2008
I'm still reviewing as I read lol:

That sounds like one seriously wicked hangover! Those are never fun.

He picked up a plastic glass from the counter and removed the wrapper. He forced down three full glasses of water, He was very glad the coffee was brewing and smelled so good.-He's lucky he could gulp that much water and keep it down! And as for the coffee smelling so good...when I have a really bad hangover, I don't like a whole lot of smells that I usually love. Coffee is one of them.
FeistyFeral chapter 5 . 4/20/2008
Reviewing as I read again:

Oh man, Reid is trying to drown his grief and sorrow...but he should know that it only helps for a little while (if at all) before you wake up with a killer hangover and you remember what is making you hurt with the force of being run over by a transport truck.

JJ’s face went from anger, to stunned disbelief at the child-like amusement in Reid’s eyes as he smiled at her.-As would mine. But I think I'd get over it pretty quickly and settle for sobering him up...

“Spence… your mom is gone.”-Oh god...he's so drunk (or in shock/denial) that he doesn't remember.

“Yes I do… I have to show her that I can be good and respectful like a son should be. I have to take care of her. I shouldn’t have left her there alone.”-But he couldn't have stopped living his own life just to take care of her. If she were well she wouldn't have wanted that from him or for him. I think that she would be thrilled that he has accomplished so much in so short a time and amazed at the odds he's overcome.

“She’s dead…” He whispered. “It’s too late.”-You're breaking me heart right now!

“No baby… she knew you loved her.”-*sniff* JJ can be so tender and maternal...

His whole body was wracked with sobs and he trembled like fall leaves in the wind.-Very powerful imagery!

“Don’t take my socks I need those, really a lot.” He hiccupped.-Aw! Okay, I kind of like this side of drunken Reid. It's probably selfish, but it's true.

A/n Hey all, here is the next chapter. Thank you all for your wonderful reviews. Due to feedback I'm issuing a hanky warning. I don't know if you'll need it, but apparently the last chapter made you all teary eyed, so there you go:) Enjoy and let me know what you think. You're all awesome!

Disclaimer: Nope, they're still not mine!

Breaking down!

Because of you I never stray too far from the sidewalk Because of you I learned to play on the safe side So I don't get hurt Because of you I tried my hardest just to forget everything Because of you I don't know how to let anyone else in Because of you I'm ashamed of my life because it's empty Because of you I am afraid

Thunder split the sky open using lightening as a pry bar. The noise was small compared to the voices that laughed, shrieked, and called to one another along the Vegas Strip.

The strip had a life of it own that never stopped. It pulsed and gyrated in time with the myriad of brightly colored lights that decorated the huge signs outside of hotels and casinos. The light promised all those that passed through the door of these monuments to money that they too could be rich, that they could have everything they ever desired for all time. The lights lied, and most people knew it, but they let the lie seduce them inside just in case the lights told the truth, just this one time.

When the rain began to fall, most of the pedestrians sought shelter in the casinos and hotels. Junkies and hooker lingered in doorways. The blond woman stepped out of the cab that slid up to the curb in front of one of those hotels. She paid the cabbie, and followed the doorman and bellboy into the lobby.

Reid dropped the empty mini-bottle onto the polished surface of the elaborate glass and metal coffee table. Several thousand dollars in cash was scattered around the room along with the debris from several candy bars, and half a dozen more bottles from the mini bar.

He ignored the door when someone began knocking. It didn’t matter who it was. He didn’t care if they knocked forever. He was going to get as stupid as possible, and maybe the last couple of days wouldn’t matter so much.

“Open the door Reid, or I’ll get the manager up here with a key card.”

He stumbled out of his perch on the couch and nearly fell to the floor. It was her, she was knocking on his door, and his heart jumped at the sound of her voice even if she was pissed at him. He got a bit lost trying to find the door and ended up in the bathroom. The knocking continued getting louder and so did her voice.

“Okay… ok… I’m coming.” He shouted in the general direction of the door.

He headed back to the living room on very unsteady feet and yanked open the door. He smiled brightly at the irritated woman in front of him.

“Hi JJ…” He giggled in delight, swinging his arms back and forth at his sides.

“Come on in.” Reid slurred, pulling her into the suite and slamming the door shut behind them.

“Spence… Have you lost your mind?”

“No… not yet, I’m trying…” He laughed. “You want a drink JJ.” He staggered to the mini bar and began to rummage through it, tossing out chocolate bars and mini-bottles.

“Score…” He yelled cheerfully, pushing his errant bangs out of his eyes and holding up the last small bottle.

She glared up at him and he began to giggle again. “Come on JJ… Don’t be so uptight!”

“Reid… I know you’re hurting, but getting stupid isn’t the way to handle it.” She pulled off her jacket and he watched the droplets of rain glitter in her golden hair. Her purple tee shirt and brand new blue jeans hugged her small body. She was beautiful! Little tingles of pleasure made his whole body feel like if were on fire just by looking at her.

“Yes it is… I’m happy! I’m so very happy!” He assured her. He turned back to the living room and stumbled over a chair leg. He was dumped unceremoniously to his knees on the carpeted floor. “Oops…”

JJ looked around at the empty bottles, candy wrappers, and scattered money on the floor. She tossed her jacket over one chair and bent down to pick up two crisp one hundred dollar bills.

“Where did you get all this,” She asked the man swaying back and forth in front of her?

“Won it of course,” He snorted, looking at her like she was very slow on the uptake.

“You gambled tonight?”

“Yeah… What’s wrong with that? I had to make money to pay for my mom’s care this year.”

“Spence… your mom is gone.” She couldn’t bring herself to say the word death, not when he was looking at her like a little boy at Christmas time.

“No she’s not… She’s sick in the hospital, but she’s going to be fine.” He insisted. “I don’t want to talk about this.” He frowned and pushed away when she tried to hug him.

“I’m sorry Spence, but you have to listen to me. Your mother is dead.”

She’d grabbed both of his arms and held him in place when he would have run from her. The muscles of his arms trembled and jumped under her touch. His face had gone red and his eyes lost the carefree look the alcohol had put in them.

“No… She’s not dead! Why are you sayin’ that?” He wrenched his arms from her grasp and stumbled away to the bedroom.

“Spence please you need to -”

“Don’t tell me what to do!” He shouted. His eyes were beginning to fill up with tears. “I don’t want to talk to you. I just want to sleep. I’m so tired!”

“Spence…”

“Go away! You’re lyin’ to me, my mom is going to be okay. She has to be okay.” He whispered. Pure misery welled up in his deep brown eyes. He swayed and staggered to the platform bed and dropped down on the colorful spread.

“Spence, I’m so sorry I wish -”

“Why can’t you leave me alone? I don’t want to hear you say it. She’s going to be okay. I’m going to take care of her from now on. I’m supposed to take care of her. She’s my mom! I have to be a good son!”

JJ joined him on the very edge of the bed. Her trembling hand touched his back. He flinched away from her. His face held only accusation for her. She swallowed hard and her throat clicked when she began to speak.

“You’re a good son Spence. Your mother knew that. You don’t have to prove anything to her or anyone else.”

He whipped around and nearly knocked her off the bed. His eyes were huge and blood shot. Tears ran down his flushed cheeks. She didn’t back away from him, even thought her heart was pounding hard in her chest. One finger reached up to his face and wiped away some of the tears he cried.

“Spence… I know you don’t want to hear this, but your mother is gone. Don’t you remember calling me?”

His mother was dead! But that couldn’t be, there was too much left to say, and to do, to make it up to her. Oh God… JJ was right! She was right! His mother was gone forever.

“She’s dead…” He whispered. “It’s too late.”

“No baby… she knew you loved her.”

JJ pulled him into her arms and hugged him hard. His whole body was wracked with sobs and he trembled like fall leaves in the wind.

“It’s going to be alright Spence. I promise!”

“She’s gone…” He repeated over and over while they rocked back and forth. JJ let go of him when his sobs trailed off to little hitches of breath.

“Come on… you need to get some rest.” She pushed him down on the bed and bent down to pull off his shoes.

She couldn’t stop the little giggles that rose up in her throat at the sight of one red and black striped sock and one yellow sock. What was this obsession with mismatched socks? Did it really bring him good luck, she wondered while pulling them off his feet?

“Don’t take my socks I need those, really a lot.” He hiccupped.

“I’m not taking your socks. Why would I want socks that don’t match? Take off your sweater vest.” She ordered changing the subject.

“Don’t want to,” He petulantly crossed his arms over his chest.

“Fine… then I’ll do it for you.”

“Why do you want to take my clothes off?” He wondered, scooting away from her.

“You need to get some sleep Reid.”

“Kay… but I’ll take it off.” She sat back on her heels and watched him fumble at his buttons till the sweater was off and shirt was open. He awkwardly shrugged them off.

“Now your pants,” she said, trying so hard not to laugh.

Reid began to giggle through the last of his tears. “No funny stuff on the first date.”-Ha ha ha! Hilarious! I love it!

“You’re drunk Spence. I’m leaving before this gets out of hand.”-Bravo! Good decision. In almost any other situation, I would have been like 'You're crazy for leaving!' but he's drunk AND grieving, which is never a good combo.

Trying and losing the battle with the tears that were burning in her throat for all the things left unsaid, and done, she pulled off her shoes and socks, threw her tee shirt and pants on the floor and crawled into the bed with him.-
FeistyFeral chapter 4 . 4/20/2008
Hello again. I'm so sorry I haven't been reading/reviewing in so long. But I'm almost done my finals then I'll be working three jobs, but I shouldn't have too much work to take home with me in the evenings soI should be able to review more regularly.

I'm going to review as I read so please go with me: “I see how pale you are, and the nurse said you’ve been here for two hours this morning. I’ll bet you didn’t have anything to eat this morning.”-not eating then skipping lunch while under extreme stress is never a good thing.
tearbos chapter 6 . 2/9/2008
"He dried off, wrapped it around his waist, and walked out of the bathroom in a cloud of steam."

thank you, thank you, thank you for that fab image!

May I repeat how jealous I am of JJ? grr

"I’m not putting up with you, silly man. I love you!"

he's so great!

Loved it!
TT92 chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
Wow... a great ending to a terrific story! I loved hos JJ had to explain to Reid what happend. It was funny in a way, which is quite strange considering what happened. I'm so happy that JJ got through to Reid, and he was finally able to start to heal. Their conversation, which was very good, was at times sad. However, the aforementioned outcome of Reid beginnign to heal was great. I loved how each of the team members shared their condolences with Reid, and I loved the insert of the Velveteen Rabbit. Overall, this was a great story. It's certainly been making me wonder if this will ever happen on the show.
REIDFANATIC chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
A very emotional chapter but a wonderful ending. The excerpt from The Velveteen Rabbit fit beautifully into the story. Spencer will be fine with his "family" to support him. It was interesting how you took him through the four stages of death and dying, Denial, Anger, Bargaining and Acceptance. It was very well done.
tellygirl chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
This story was both very sad and wonderful at the same time :o)
LadyPuzzler chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
More tears here! You write wonderfully and this was a great story!
VacantAccount chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
I LOVED that chapter! And I didn't cry! Reid/JJ isn't my favourite pairing but that was adorable! x
ReidsLuvr93 chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
aw such a sweet last chapter!

I loved it. :)

I wish it wasn't the last chapter though... :'(
grahamag chapter 6 . 2/7/2008
Great story...Reid does seem like a happy drunk...