Reviews for Innocence
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 11/4/2012
Powerfully written and painful, short or not.
Serenity Marie chapter 1 . 3/18/2011
It's... sad. I like it, because I do believe you captured the characters and emotions in a strong way. Starfire and Raven are the most interesting, both having unique opinions of 'innocence' and what it means to their teammates.

On one hand, it would be very interesting to read a companion fic on this subject, but perhaps that would be over doing it. I just find this one shot very moving.
Roman High chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
I enjoyed the style of switching from character to character and elaborating their thoughts and feelings. Very much enjoyed.
kobez2.0 chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
Wow. I wanna say 'that was dark' but it wasn't quite dark enough to be called 'dark'. It was good though, so.. um.. yeah. any way good job, it had alot of emotion and descriptive depth in it for one so short.
kristen chapter 1 . 4/29/2008
I like the simple concept of having one plot and then branching the characters out from there.
General Havoc chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Permit me to cordially disagree with the reviewer before me. I thought this was an excellent, EXCELLENT atmospheric piece, well-supplied with character understanding and nuance. I hate to wind up responding to a previous reviewer in your stead, but it is the very banality of the crime, in comparison to those they normally take on that makes this work.

Starfire and Raven were both... very interesting decisions there. It makes a strange degree of sense to me that Starfire never saw herself as having lost out on innocence, given her background. Raven obviously was never permitted her normal childhood, but I like that neither she nor Beast Boy devolved into melodrama over it. Raven cannot miss what she never had, and Beast Boy simply remembers better times. Precisely the right note for both of them.

Cyborg got angry. I like that Cyborg got angry, that he was the one to get into a cold fury about this sort of thing, while Robin buries himself in procedurals. It's not that this sort of thing doesn't bother him any more, but that it's become a little more... familiar to him. Perhaps.

Permit me one more reply to a previous reviewer. Innocence is a central theme to the Titans as I've always seen it. Whether or not you believe much in the innocence of children, it's one of the driving assumptions of society, and has been for hundreds of years. While it may seem 'edgy' to nihilistically claim that "oh, well, child murders are SO overdone", the very fact that they are overdone indicates something, as people would not use them as the prototypical example of a heinous, brutal, senseless act were they not. Moreover crime ITSELF is archetypical and almost banal when you get down to it. Nothing is a cliche when it stares you in the face.

A brilliant, BRILLIANT little story, one I'm marking as a favorite. I wish that I could do so much with one scene.
AlsoSprachOdin chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
"Blondie was dead..." Can't help thinking that one with your opening. As for the fic: The situation can hardly be called original. The victim seems pretty archetypal and the detestable crime is pretty old too.

Nice to see Starfire as from the war-race she's supposed to come from, and especially the way the perpetually portrayed as innocent Titan doesn't grasp the concept of innocence.

Raven's teammates having their innocence forcibly taken from them though (the main point of the story, I understand) - I don't know about that. Starfire never had it either, seeing as she so easily killed at around age 8. Or maybe that alien psyche allows her to retain her innocence, in which case it was never taken from her.

Victor had already lost it to age as all children eventually do before he became Cyborg.

Beast Boy and Robin with their murdered parents, and BB's possibly extremely tragic past from that point on until joining TT could be seen as a forcible stripping of innocence, so in these two cases you could draw parallels between them and the victim.

In the end, I think innocence is terribly overestimated. And I don't believe much in the innocence of children. And everybody will eventually be forced out of innocence as it's popularly defined, and forced so by our own DNA.
Raven Morning chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
Wonderful fic! All of their musings were spot on for their character. The scene was also well set up. You didn't distract with any unneeded details or sentences. Great job!