Reviews for Good Fences
Rista-liehna chapter 1 . 10/26/2013
Great fic! It's always interesting to look at cultural differences and the implications thereof, and how the whole concept of "home" can change over time.

One thing, though: I'd be wary of using "Mending Wall" to say that dividing lines are good. Sure, the line supports that, and it sounds right, but the rest of the poem argues against it.

"There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'. "
Silver Fox Trot chapter 1 . 5/2/2008
I like it, good job!
tomorrow4eva chapter 1 . 2/7/2008
I never thought the Autobots would have a sense of taste. To do so would make absolutely no sense (lol, as if TFs do anyway). In my head, they wouldn't bother with a particularly developed sense of smell either. Isn't teek a great sense, though?

I really enjoyed this little story. I love the idea that they have 'you are here' mental maps. They probably have GPS too. Lucky sods. And I agree: plumping is the great divider between Autobots and humans.
Coldpaws chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Great job! I love how you utilized slice of life anecdotes to portray the transition from akward to familiar.

I also like how you use the conversations between the humans and Autobots to highlight their different viewpoints on things; Wheeljack thinking of water as a solvent, rather than the human viewpoint of necessary-for-life.

One thing to note: Although taste and smell are traditionally divided in common usage, most of taste is actually smell. The tongue can detect six different "flavors;" the nose can detect several thousand different chemicals. Most of the variations of taste comes from what we smell, not from our tongue. So the autobots do taste things (such as the cookies or popcorn), just without putting them in their mouths.

That's a sciency fact that may or may not matter (As if G1 had any scientific accuracy), but, well, I'm compulsive. Also, you seem to have a typo in "Mt. St. Helens" you're missing the s.

I'll be watching for more of your stuff!
Dreaming of Everything chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Oh man, this fic is so awesome I don't have words. It is everything I have ever desired in a Transformers fanfic, including some things I didn't even know I wanted, and it is all genius and *you* are a genius and alskdjfslkfj .:brain fries:.

Anyways! I adore fics that look at cultural differences, and you've easily done the best job I've seen with it yet. I love how you get those little differences that matter so much in there- But you're just taunting me with "-got more and more used to one another and their mutual faux pas became few and fewer between." I want to know what happened! But that's just me, wanting more of a good thing.

And then little snippets of Spike-and-Bee interaction, loved that! And just, you get a sense of *living* into the fic, that all the characters really are learning their way around this new sort of situation. Genius, like I said! Too often, people make a big deal out of that sort of thing, but it just ends up feeling artificial. Your take is natural-seeming, like those things should be, (and as an exchange student, I am somewhat qualified to make this statement,) just sort of slipping into each other.

Wonderful job, all around!
Kiseki no Tenshi chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Great short fic! _
Jason M. Lee chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Done wonderfully. There's bound to be some minor SNAFUs with their culture gap. :)