Reviews for Subtext
TolkienGirl chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
This was a really great piece, with some lines that were absolute gems...really, great job.
LilyBolt chapter 1 . 6/8/2013
This was excellent! I loved that line "how many times had there been no one to listen to what Dean wasn't saying?" It was simply perfect. :)
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 3/25/2013
Man, it's hard to think that Dean's mask fools everyone except Sam, who thinks it's obvious. Nobody else would ever think that anything was wrong or give him any sort of release, no pep talk in the dark. He'd just shove it down and pretend that nothing had happened. But Sam, Sam knows every tic Dean's got. He knows right away. And he wants to help. He just has to remember not to push too far since Dean isn't used to it.
jankjay1 chapter 1 . 3/5/2013
" many times had there been no one to listen to what Dean wasn't saying?"

This is brilliantly poignant. So telling of both characters. Thank you for sharing it.
moonlitnight107 chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
Omgosh I just love how Sam knows what to do and keeps pushing. And Dean... He is so use to John that he keeps expecting Sam to just let it go... But he doesn't. I loved that part where Sam makes a connection about why Dean didn't call while he was away at school... Because Sam is the only one who knows how to read Dean. He would have heard something wrong. It just goes to show how sensitive and broken Dean really is.
Ginnylove9990 chapter 1 . 12/10/2011
Another great story.
ILETUDRIVE chapter 1 . 9/16/2011
Okay had to backtrack and read this one. I look up and the counter says 353 (soon to be 354 hooooray) but it makes me happy. The title for this one is so perfect. Those little nuances that about a person you know best that if you'd tried to explain to another you couldn't think of three, but is so patiently obvious when faced with that person is so compelling in this fic. (What a run-on but I hope you understand what I mean.)

Excellent. I love all the exploratory you do with the tags to episode but the movement you have behind the scenes are so compelling.

Stephanie chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Yet another catch-up! Awesome story, you showed the brothers relationship so well, and even after a two year separation, Sam could tell something was wrong with Dean, which Dean admitted even their father would not have noticed. And spot on with Sam touching Dean's shoulder and Dean clapping Sam's leg, so often the boys communicate with touch instead of words, verbal communication not needed.
mjg021182 chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
OK, this is the second story I've read of yours, and I'm already in love with your writing. And you've written OVER 300 OF THEM! :D Hee! Awesomeness.

mj :D
DeansBabyBird chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Hey hun

"the resonance of bad news"...that's a wonderful phrase, so evocative of the Winchester's lives. I liked how you allowed Sam's sibling intuition to gently break down Dean's oft-inpenetrable barriers.

DeansBabyBird. x
SunnyZim chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
This fic just sums up so well how those two boys interact - good job, I loved it!:-)
BlueSea14 chapter 1 . 1/1/2009
The way that the brothers' relationship is portrayed here is very fitting, in my opinion. Sam knows something is wrong, while Dean admits that John wouldn't even have noticed: this seems to fit very well with the distance between the boys and their father. I thought that this was a very good portrayal of that.

Plus, the phone call from the friend, and Dean's slightly depressed outlook on life because of it, is also very well portrayed and fits excellently with his character.

Good job!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 8/27/2008
I was reading along and feeling all the emotion and feeling sorry for Dean that there had been no one there for him when Sam had been at Stanford, when bam! she mentions pods. LOL I saw the original of that movie when I was a kid and it scared my sister and me so bad, we went out and checked around the house and under our bed before going to sleep. We did not sleep well for many nights, either! Whew!

Anyway, I enjoyed this one, too. Grief would be hard for a Winchester to share and with Sam only being back for a while, I can see it being even more difficult. Well done.
bhoney chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
I love how you portray the brothers' bond. This was a good one.
bubblesquirt chapter 1 . 3/18/2008
He wasn’t particularly fond of snakes, but he was of his brother, and Fangs was in between them now. It was never a smart place to be.

-Ick. Snakes. Yucky!

He glowered at his brother. “I thought you turn your phone off when we’re hunting.”

-This is a little detail I never really thought about. Of course they need to turn off their phones! But sometimes I don't think they do..

“I told you, that waitress isn’t gonna call."

“That’s not why—” Dean growled wordlessly in frustration. “Forget it."

-Hehe. Dean's always pickin up the ladies...

“Are you getting in the car like that?”

Dean groaned.

Sam took a step toward him. “But—”

A plastic smile joined the act. “Don’t wait up."

And Dean was gone.

-Aw no! Why do you always shut Sam out?

And for a moment as his brother froze, before he could smooth his features back into the bland look of that afternoon, Dean’s face was raw.

-Aw, I love the facial expressions Dean gives us in the show and you do a great job writing them!

Sam persisted, not even knowing why because for all Dean’s prodding to talk about his dreams, Winchester men didn’t glanced and teased and occasionally there were manly hugs, but God forbid they talk.

Halfway through undressing, Dean suddenly reversed himself and started pulling clothes back on, and Sam knew he was running out of time. “You know what? Forget it. I’m going out again. If I have to get a separate room to get some sleep, I will.”

-Gasp! Goodness gracious child. Dean needs to CALM DOWN.

Last chance. Suddenly, all the arguing in the world seemed useless. Sam just shook his head and said softly, “Dean, please don’t go."

-I made a little noise at this. How can you say no to this? Oh that's right, you CAN'T.

He finally turned, and something in his face had changed. Cracked. “How do you know?” The jacket in Dean’s hand rose and fell in a helpless motion. “It’s been two years, Sam, and Dad…” He laughed humorlessly. “Dad would’ve just said to make sure I didn’t drink so much I let my guard down."

-Too sad. Heartbreaking.

Sam was wincing inside already.

-Love the wince. Even if it's on the inside.

His hand made some useless motion.

Sam made a face, tilted his head. “I’m sorry."

-I love this because all you have to say is "sam made a face" and we all know exactly what face you're talking about. He's so compassionate and sympathetic and sensitive and and ek. *fans self*

“Yeah, well, you said it yourself—can’t save everybody, right?” And, jeez, did Dean fool anyone with that mask? Because Sam could still hear the grieving just fine.

Completely screwed up, maybe, but, really, it wasn’t all that bad.

Another perfect ending to another perfect oneshot. Yayayayayay. *jumps around* I love you[r writing] foreverandever.