Reviews for Learning to Live Again
chouberiba chapter 8 . 1/29
I must confess, I was at first not sure wheather the Osaka Oniwabanshu was to trust since they were only helping Kenshin due to orders from Aoshi, otherwise they'd rather not have anything to do with him. And I did kind of develop a small amount of wariness towards them, just like Kenshin, specially when they hinted that Yoshidas knowledge about them could be a problem. I like Yoshida so much!. So I really liked the mutual respect that grew here and that Kenshin managed to show them his kind and honest manner in his short stay, and I appreciated that they acknowledged Kenshin in such an honorable way, which is of course to be expected from Oniwabanshu. They do seem to know their manners. Also, this shows your excellent ability in creating a sense of doubtfulness in the reader as to what will happen, which of course increaes the excitement.

And oh, admist all the action and turbulent events at Nakahiras, you almost made me miss the fact that Kenshin has decided that he wants to marry Kaoru! :D I loved how spontaneous and uncontrolled Kenshin felt at that moment.
Looking forward to more from you and thanks so much for writing. And oh, I love how you seem to know so much about japanese history and comment about it at the end. If it's not too much asked, would you care to share some of your references or recommend a good book? Thanks again! Cheers
chouberiba chapter 5 . 1/26
I'm amazed at the background story you've developed for Kaoru and her fathers family. I like how all the historical details are weaved in as Kenshin and Yoshida slowly uncover the truth from the documents. I must say, I really think you capture this feeling, or perhaps atmosphere is a better word, of traditional Japan starting to transition to a new era, mixing with new western technology and culture. I also loved this element of detective work that this chapter had. Also enjoyed to see Yoshida, and it made me feel happy for Kenshin as well! ;)
Moving on to the next chapter with excitement. Ta-ta!
chouberiba chapter 2 . 1/24
Absolutely beautiful. Kenshin explaining to Yahiko what he's been going through, without any glorification or romanticizing anything, just the dark, naked truth was...wow! I'm almost ready to cry, being reminded of how heavy Kenshins burden is and how enormously tough the teachings of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu is as well as the great responsibility that comes with it. I loved this chapter. Thank you for writing.
chouberiba chapter 1 . 1/24
Oh, this is very very good! I think it is indeed a very interesting topic here, i.e how Kenshin actually settled down at last. I hadn't really thought about it, but after reading only this first chapter I keep thinking "oh, right. This is it". Of course, it wasn't that easy. Of course, he must've been worried and felt responsible in helping Kaoru, not only with the household but the economics part as well. It's only natural. And no way at that time a single, young woman could earn enough to keep a household and dojo going. I appreciate a fanfic that adresses these everyday problems.
Thank you for writing! *hurries off to the next chapter*
Ai Mamoru chapter 8 . 1/5
Oh wow, I felt like I've ran into a wall, when I recognized there was no "next"-button. I knew that the story wasn't completed yet - but I wasn't conscious about that this would be the last chapter when I started it. I should have better remembered the number 8. Without the chance to prepare myself for the end, now I feel a little lost ...

I really like your story. It feels very authentic and well-conceived, detailed too. Although I'm far from new at the use of original japanese terms, sometimes I got kinda lost after the enthusiastic use of them ; Nonetheless, I think it's right to employ them. You didn't go overboard in using them, I didn't think once "This would have been better in english" or was disturbed in my reading flow. Sometimes I literally stumble over the japanese terms that's when the use is superfluous in my opinion.
I'm extremely in love with love stories (it's the reason my alias is Ai ) but I really appreciate it when the romance is not the only and/ or the most prominent aspect in the plot. So I'm really delighted about your approach.

I hope you find the inspiration and time to continue the story in the near future :)
Thanks for writing and sharing :)
crism79 chapter 8 . 10/20/2013
Wow, just finished this last chapter and I'm loving this! I can see all this happening and it's so true to the characters. I hope you continue and post a new chapter soon. Great, amazing job!
Kenshin's Soul chapter 8 . 8/17/2013
Wow...I'm very glad I can be of help. :) I remember a little about it - it's been so long. XP I got this chapter 8 alert in email box back in October 16, 2012 and I never read it until now (8-18-2013) It sounds like we're getting to the peak of the story. :) I saw you had Watsuke instead of Watsuki. ;

Oh, did you know around the same time (Meiji) has soccer in Japan they had baseball? :) I saw a children's book last summer when I was a volunteer in the public library. I read the summary of the book. It looks like an interesting read.

It's kind of sad Japanese government had to forced their pharmacists to learn Western medicine and have to get a license and ignore the old way. I thnk the old ways of medicine is better than the modern one because some I felt are dangerous to one's health or don't seem to work well enough. I'd say the same for American and Canadian medicines.

Keep up a great work!
Anna from Russia chapter 8 . 3/10/2013
Thank you very much for updating!
Please, please. don't abandon that wonderful story.
You're my favourite author.
misaki-toyodome chapter 4 . 3/2/2013
First, thank you for bringing back Yoshida! He was wonderful in Descent into Madness, and it's so fun to see him here again. And I am enjoying the angle with the Osaka Oniwaban too.

And while the story itself is a great read, the little details you add in about the changing lives of those in the Meiji era (about the foreigners and adapting to their presence in Japan) makes it stand out, in my humble opinion. Also, the position of women in society is very much in keeping with the times; it's not often that fanfic treats these realistic problems, so it's very refreshing. Thank you again for all your hard work! It's a joy to read.
misaki-toyodome chapter 3 . 3/2/2013
Ah, the plot thickens! Kaoru really would have had a tough time as a woman trying to protect her dojo and her rights in the Meiji era. And I laughed at Kenshin's make-over; it's such a manga thing for characters to wear the same clothes, but he really needed some variety to his wardrobe.

I very much appreciate your attention to detail (the research into 1878 and the telegraph poles). It really adds some nice touches to setting the scene. And I very much enjoyed Chief Uramura's cameo here! He's one of my favorite secondary characters in the series and he's just such a nice guy. (I'm rather partial to the policemen in RK, hahaha.)
misaki-toyodome chapter 2 . 3/2/2013
It's so nice to get a glimpse at ordinary life for Kenshin; Japanese fans often joke about the fact that he's a NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training) so I had to laugh at his 'job hunting'. I think you handled it realistically, as always. And yes, where does Kaoru get money to maintain her dojo?! Good call on the government reward. However, my favorite part of the chapter has to be the scene between Yahiko and Kenshin. As I said in my previous review, Yahiko is still a young boy, and he still has a lot to learn, especially about the responsibility that comes with power. The insight into Kenshin's psychology is very interesting also, both about his training under Hiko and about his time in Rakuninmura. Not many people tackle the true impact (or horror) of learning Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki and I think you did it masterfully.
misaki-toyodome chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
I regret that it's taken me so long to read this story - my excuse is that I was too busy to do much fanfic reading (or writing) over the last few years, but better late then never. I'm so glad that I finally took the time today! Thank you so much for this wonderful story! You've always had a fantastic knack for realistically portraying the struggles that the characters face; this time too, the questions that Kenshin faces are so natural considering his history. Not only Kenshin, but I appreciate the twist you've put on Yahiko too - my impression is that he's often portrayed as an incredibly mature wunderkind, but the fact is, he's a human child who will make mistakes. He's still got a lot to learn. And it's nice that you're not rushing the relationship between Kaoru and Kenshin too; they've got many issues to work out before they can get to where they are in Meiji Year 15.

My apologies again for the tardy review, and I'm just glad that you're still writing!
BiblioMatsuri chapter 8 . 1/16/2013
Prolix: verbose, long-winded. Yay, new word!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next. - Matsuri
BiblioMatsuri chapter 5 . 1/16/2013
Wow. Extrapolations galore - and they all feel like they would fit right in with the original story. I admit to being slightly skeptical about the OCs, until I remembered that of course any friends of Kenshin's would be far from ordinary. Besides, I like Yoshida and Eiko.
BiblioMatsuri chapter 3 . 1/16/2013
Nice worldbuilding. ...Kenshin. On a trip. "Go smoothly." HA!