Reviews for Boys, Drama, and Eating Disorders
Great Story. But, there is no way Ginny could lose like 4 pounds after two days. Also, it will be great if you include her insecurity of her weight in front of people. The whole story is a little fast I think.
Anonymous chapter 28 . 8/21
O my gosh what an experience i started reading this earlier today at 2:30 pm and finished this amazing fanfiction in 1 day i want it to never end i just ughhh i loved it!
anon chapter 11 . 8/21
i love it!
Sophia chapter 6 . 8/21
I love ginny and harry are fucking bae and so are you!
This is a good fic, and while I have to admit that it's better than most of the tripe on this site, it borders on too specific and it feels like you're going overboard with Ginny's condition. First of all, 12 pounds isn't usually enough to get noticed by people around you. Second, the eating disorder thought processes are too detailed, almost like something you'd read off a proana blog, while you don't really show Ginny's eating disorder progressing slow enough. Also, eating disorders don't usually become irreversible in a few weeks, and I don't think you should've included that, because someone on the verge of a severe eating disorder might read this and go "whelp, guess I'm fucked", and that's really dangerous. Again, I really like this fic, but a lot of it is really toxic and you need to fix it.
P. S. I'm sorry about the long read, I just felt like it had to be said.
I... have a huge problem with this. I never got the feeling Dean and Ginny had sex, especially that quickly, in-canon. The only guy Ginny truly loved was Harry, so I *severely* doubt she jumped in the sack with Dean; realistically, I feel Harry and Ginny lost their virginities to each other. Plus, Dean and Ginny argued a lot in-canon: about Ron, about Harry, about how "helpless" and "delicate" she is, very trivial things, even though they were together for almost a year (which is an amazing feat for 15/16 year-olds). Also, Harry wasn't sure of his feelings for Ginny until he had to be separated from her at school (he went to her and asked to sit together, and he became annoyed after she told him she was sitting with Dean). I get that this is AU... but... it's a rather unrealistic AU. That was a big turn-off.
Wow hey i post the last review and i just finished the story and omg it was amazing! I'm gonna favorite this story!.
Guest chapter 17 . 12/31/2014
Aye! Hey I was reading this and at this part I remembered something! I few years back I remember reading this story I thinlk! I know this story is kinda old :p but still wanted to say it!. Well I never finished the story because I was just scrolling through this part a couple years back lol but Im gonna finish it now! (I remembered when Ron found out and Michale and Ginny broke up I exactly remember him telling her to eat a sandwich.)
Bellakpotter3 chapter 28 . 11/17/2014
Great story and I love the poem!
NunaXoxo chapter 28 . 8/30/2014
This is a really beautiful story, and I love your poem. I never really understood anorexia or bulimia. I always thought I did, but after reading this, I know I didn't. I thought that not eating and throwing up was something that a person would choose to do. I never thought that the person would feel helpless, and sort of like they had to purge and not eat. This really opened my eyes, so thank you :)

You're a really talented author. Great job! :)
Chihori Anigma chapter 4 . 5/28/2014
Chapter 4: Did you have an ED? If you didn't you researched them very well and that question before is none of my buisness.
Guest chapter 28 . 3/16/2014
Wow..this was a really good fic, so glad I came across it..but it sounded like Ginny was more bulimic than anorexic..anyways good job :)) I especially like the ending poem
Amelia chapter 16 . 3/3/2014
Very good I am exided to read the next part
Starry Owl and Inky Moon chapter 1 . 11/19/2013
It's been a while since you've updated anything on here, and you probably don't read these, but I wanted to review anyway. Your writing style is good, not my favourite, but I enjoyed reading your work and though there are some grammatical errors, they didn't detract from the story; overall, the writing is quite good.
I have quite a bit of experience with mental illnesses. I've had EDNOS Restricting/Binging Type, currently "recovered" because I literally can't get away with restricting, I suffer from depression and social anxiety disorder, I occasionally have suicidal urges, and I self harm. All my tumblr friends have similar issues. Judging from your writing and the fact that most people would have written somewhere about their personal experience with these issues, I assume you don't have an eating disorder. Which is great and it's totally fine that you've written a story about a character with one despite not having one yourself.
That being said, you've done a pretty decent job of portraying Anorexia Binging/Purging Type. That's an especially difficult one to write properly. However, some things just didn't feel right. Maybe it was the absence of the other mental illnesses I'm used to seeing alongside an ED, maybe it was the fact that Ginny doesn't self harm or have thoughts of suicide which is a bi weird for me, but something was throwing me off the entire time.
The beginning seemed too rushed to me. Only a couple lines in and Ginny's already planning on starving herself. ED's CAN sometimes develop very abruptly. I was literally completely fine one day and the next obsessively weighing food, counting calories, and chewing and spitting out food. However, it just seemed forced here. It would have been a lot more believable if you'd had Ginny go on a regular diet and gradually restrict more and more until she was eating barely anything. That just seems more Ginny-like, if that makes sense.
You portrayed binging and the feelings and guilt that go along with it very well. I especially liked that she didn't intend to vomit the first time. Purging even among those with ED's is seen as something disgusting, shameful, and sub par. Those with restricting type anorexia are seen as having more self control and are often much thinner than those with other ED's. I like how her unintentional vomiting from all the food she'd eaten and then after drinking gradually built up to her later intentional purging. It made it less abrupt and more of a slower progression into her illness.
The physical symptoms of restricting don't usually develop that quickly and strongly and you didn't place very much emphasis about the effects of purging, which are more immediate. Magic would have covered up the smell and since she normally uses puking pastilles, maybe that would prevent the tooth decay. However, it would've been better if you'd explained that instead of ignoring it.
Also, I realise this story centres around Ginny, but I would have liked to see more Hermione/Ginny interaction. You implied that Hermione knew what was going on, but you didn't really expand on that, which is a shame as Hermione is usually very unhelpful in these kinds of situations and I would've liked to see what she would have put poor Ginny through thinking she knows everything.
Recovery isn't something I know too much about on a personal level and it's highly individual, but I didn't really like the way you portrayed Ginny's. It was too, how would I put it, easy, I guess. It's great that her epiphany helped her, but usually there's a much longer and harder struggle. I do like that she relapsed after Harry left. That was very realistic.
Other parts that stuck out as being particularly well written were the scene where Tonks asked Ginny if she'd used a contraception spell and Ginny automatically stuck her finger in her mouth- it really showed how purging is a coping mechanism for her; and the scene where Ginny decided against sending her letter to Bill after seeing Cho. Often, people with eating disorders or who self harm think that because it could be so much worse, they don't need help or they plan on getting it later, when things get really bad. They don't see how bad things already are or realise that it might be too late to get help later.
My last criticism is the a/n's interspersed throughout the story. They pulled me out of the action and messed up the mood.
Overall, this was a good story which portrayed Ginny's struggle with an eating disorder fairly well and I enjoyed reading it. Wow, this was a long review.
Twihard222 chapter 6 . 9/3/2013