Reviews for The Pancake Test
Fi Suki Saki chapter 1 . 1/30
Oblivious Dean and his panic for nothing ! xD
Ohh... he's so Adorable... !

I Love it !

I Love how Sam doing all that because of Dean, and for Dean. (and for himself.)

Dean's the type who loving, not being loved (or that's how he think). So pardon him that he was slow and thinking all those stuff are because some supernatural thing.

Absolutely Lovably Adorable Awesome !
NoilyPrat chapter 1 . 1/13
That was interesting - thinking that Sam was .. some kind of anti-possessed, being that cheerful.

Love the talk they did at the end. Sam trying to make a point, and Dean pointing out the mistakes...
"I mean it."... "You were what, about ten then?"
"Nine."
"Nine. When I was nine, I was still two years away from even going on my first hunt with Dad."
"One year,"... "You were ten when Dad took you out for the first time."
"Okay, fine. I barely knew how to shoot a gun, Dean - you didn't start teaching me until I was eight."
"Seven. You started bow-hunting when you were eight."...
... "You remember all that?"
... "You were a kids, Sam. I wasn't." Which he hoped to God didn't say as much as he had a suspicion it did.

Yes, Dean. It did.
"And you think the shtriga took something away from me?"

Because it had taken Dean's childhood from him.
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
Heheh. Trust Dean to blame himself for failing Sam with the Shtriga so long ago that if affected him now and finally let out the pancake making, fun having, car washing version of himself. Of course, if that had actually been the case, it would have been really scary and would have increased Dean's perpetual guilt, but of course, it wasn't. It was just Sam realizing what Dean had always been trying to tell him. :D
SupernaturallyEgocentric chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
Great take on the streiga.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 10/28/2011
Loved this, but so typical of Dean putting two and two together and getting five at the reason for Sam's happy mood. Only he would think that the shtriga started feeding from Sam all those years ago and now it was finally destroyed Sam was 'Sam' again. Perfect this comment from Sam "And you think the shtriga took something away from me?" Loved too how Dean knew every detail from Sam's childhood, clarifying the age things happened when Sam was approximating.

Another fave fic :) Loving reading all the ones I have missed and but in a way not looking forward to totally catching up, there again can start reading them again!
Heartless BytchhakaHelenBach1 chapter 1 . 9/2/2010
I loved this little story. My two fave lines...

"For God's sake, Dean, did it ever occur to you if I'm any different it's because of you?"

"You were a kid, Sam. I wasn't."

Squee thud

Beautiful interaction between the Brothers. I love it. Thank you for the story.:)
Hunnique chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
Sam is a really smart man. What you superbly show us here is his brain and his heart making a connection about Dean. The result is his actions in this story and great lines like:

Sam took a breath, body hitching with an unspoken huh. “And you think the shtriga took something away from me?”

I would have loved to see that whole scene in the series.

Cheers
Menthol Pixie chapter 1 . 11/25/2009
Aw that was cute! I liked happy Sam - don't see it too often, or often enough I guess, but then, drama and angst is what we're all here for, isn't it? :)
LittleLurker chapter 1 . 7/6/2009
Hi ,

I really, really loved this little fic!

It shows worrying Dean so very nicely... how he feels guilty about having *stolen* Sam's happiness

from him that night when he didn't stay in their motel room and watch over Sammy.

These lines were *damn* brilliant:

The shtriga? But it took life forces, not...

Oh, God.

Dean's blood seemed to drain into his feet, and he stumbled back to collapse

onto the edge of the bed. His chest was tight, his hands cold. Could it be?

All this time? Because of him?

[...] Dean wasn't sure but...maybe. Maybe. Dad would've known, and Dad had

never looked at him the same again.

Dean's hands were shaking as he buried his face in them, shoved them back

through his hair. Oh, God, what had he done, what had he allowed to be done

to Sam? All those years of vitality and joy lost because of him? He'd always

known he was to blame for that night, [...] 'Sam, I am so sorry.'

And, one of the very few times, I actually really, really liked Sam and also what he said and how he

said it (well, I seem to like your Sam better anyway than the one from the series) - well, in here,

I especially LOVED how Sam made his brother *see*:

"You do," Dean cut him off, even though he said it quietly. "You feel

different to me, okay? The last couple of days, it's been like you..."

"What?" A soft huff of air, and when Dean dared a glance at his brother's

face, Sam's eyes made him hurt. "Started living again? Finally took all

those talks of yours to heart and tried to move on? Only, in our jacked

view of things, that must mean I'm supernaturally influenced." Sam shook

his head, mouth twisted in an unamused smile. "For God's sake, Dean, did

it ever occur to you if I'm any different it's because of you?"

For the first time, Dean's certainty waned, diluted with confusion.

and then how he drives his point home - very good and well thought off:

Sam's smile grew. "How much I still have. Sometimes I forget I didn't lose

everything in that fire. I've still got a dad who cares about me and a job

that helps people even if the pay is lousy and a big brother whod do anything

for me. Whose car I am never washing again if it means I'm gonna have to

prove each time I'm not possessed or influenced or some opposite version

of a dark double."

And their whole conversation of the time when they were kids... well actually it's pretty much Dean,

who remembers everything - even the name of Sam's teacher back then (very cool). So, yeah, everything

from: "You were, what, about ten then?" to "And you think the shtriga took something away from 'me'?"

Beautiful and painful at the same time, what Dean says here:

"You were a kid, Sam. I wasn't."

and how he diverts the whole "chick-flick" situation after a moment:

Dean stood abruptly. "What did you use for soap? A lot of junk they sell can hurt a nice finish."

You're a master at tags! Absolutely beautiful, wonderful ideas, a great style, powerful one-liners,

really meaningful dialogues and just about any- and everything a good story needs!

Thanks for sharing! I'm off to read some more...

Cheers and my best wishes!

D.
Whilom chapter 1 . 6/25/2009
I've told you before, but I'll say it again: I love when Dean recalls Sam's childhood, knows the dates for everything, equates himself to a parent. His talk of Sam's fever and the exchange over Sam's ages when he went on his first hunt, learned to shoot, learned bow-hunting, was heartwarming.
BlueSea14 chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
I loved this, because Deran's paranoia is so perfect. He was beating himself up over something that wasn't really his fault (he was just a KID at the time) and automatically jumping to it being his fault that Sam might be different is the perfect way to show how much guilt he feels. I loved how Sam talked him down from it, too. "Sometimes pancakes are just pancakes".

Good job!
KKBELVIS chapter 1 . 12/30/2008
You know, K...

I adore all your stories...really I do!

But this one is extra special with a tender heart on top!

Touched me...down deep!

My fav paragraph: “What?” A soft huff of air, and when Dean dared a glance at his brother’s face, Sam’s eyes made him hurt. “Started living again? Finally took all those talks of yours to heart and tried to move on? Only, in our jacked view of things, that must mean I’m supernaturally influenced.” Sam shook his head, mouth twisted in an unamused smile. “For God’s sake, Dean, did it ever occur to you if I’m any different it’s because of you?”

Sunshine,

Karen
hpsupernaturalfan chapter 1 . 10/15/2008
Nice Story! Loved the way Dean felt guilty about Sam's good mood thinking his previous mood might have been something from the first attack oe striga.
Stoneage Woman chapter 1 . 7/4/2008
This is one of your better fics. I loved this episode, and this tag is brilliant- it made perfect sense that Dean would think Sam acting happy was something supernatural. Totally messed up, Winchester style. I also loved how Dean remembered so much about Sam's childhood, and the bit where he admitted to not being a child was nothing short of heartbreaking. This was absolutely beautiful- reminded me of all the reasons I love this show. Thanks for another wonderful read!
calcium77 chapter 1 . 6/25/2008
Sweet story :-) I never even thought that Sam might have gotten back a little extra from long ago when he first met the shtigra! YOu always see a new angle on everything!

kat