Reviews for Someone's Gotta Give
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 6/14
I don't think there's anything NOT to love in this fic, so I couldn't let the opportunity to go by again without giving you an appreciative thumbs-up. You really had the reins in a firm grip on this one, Katalin. I loved how much you included: Sam's idiosyncracy with locks, Dean's casual big-brother sarcasm, family history and shades of John, multiple potential causes for the case, brotherly love without physical injury or them ending up in the same bed(!) You put it all in with a light, professional touch, and I don't think there's a word wasted in the entire piece. Best of all, the big surprise-that one really bends for the other in an unexpected way and they walk away from the case. Thank you!
Fi Suki Saki chapter 1 . 2/1
Dean's begging moment is one of the most heart breaking moment ever !

I'm so glad Sam said Yes !

D':
NoilyPrat chapter 1 . 12/23/2014
wow ... just wow...

Dean wanted to leave to protect Sam, but stayed with him to protect him from himself. And then, to ask to leave... and for Sam to agree, because he loved Dean and didn't want to hurt him ... wow...
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
Their relationship ensures that they'll argue sometimes. And then who has the final word? Dean's the oldest, he takes charge, but at the same time, he'll do anything for Sammy. I think you explored that really effectively. Showing how broken up this made him but how he was still willing to stick around because no way was he going to abandon Sam, even- especially- when he was about to throw his life away. It was good that Sam finally understood where the guy was coming from, though. Watching Dean try to stumble through that with no reprieve or understanding wasn't going to be good.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 11/13/2011
Wow, really didn't expect the twist of Sam agreeing to Dean's plea and walking away from this hunt, but so glad you wrote it this way. Think the turning point was Sam finally getting it when they were talking with Len and great that Sam put Dean and his feelings first rather than the hunt. Would love to know what was affecting the 23 year olds though!
mouse8 chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
That was different! I really liked that. For once, Sam could give up his stubborn insistence and recognise that walking away was the right thing. Nicely done!
Whilom chapter 1 . 7/14/2009
I'm a sucker for Sam discovering different ways Dean subtly "mothered" him when he was a kid, so his reference to the ball lightning paper gave me warm fuzzies.

**Dean threw him a look, the one that used to send small Sammy scurrying into the bathtub or out of Dean’s stuff, but that only seemed to amuse gigantor Sam. Wasn’t fair to lose the advantage of authority as well as of size.**

LOL!

**“Sam, whatever this is is driving people crazy, probably permanently, making them kill themselves, definitely permanently, and you’re a prime target.”**

I liked the phrasing here.

The last bit with Dean pleading with Sam was so touching and raw. I loved it. And the last little exchange, with Dean thumping the car's roof, was especially perfect.
BlueSea14 chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
This was very good. Sam's insistence in staying, before the boys finally leave at Dean's insistence, and then the way they manage to talk-but-not-talk to each other. :)

Good job!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 12/25/2008
Wow, they walked away from the hunt. I didn't really expect that, but I'm thrilled. Sam's a good guy and an awesome little brother. Understanding how Dean felt and what the case was doing to him made all the difference here.

It was great that Dean couldn't leave Sam, too. Only got as far as the car. He'd been able to in 'Scarecrow', but that was before John's deal and what he said to Dean.

Very, very good!
Holly Lukeman chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
This has to be one of my favorite stories I've encountered so far. You have done an amazing job of getting Sam and Dean's characters right, not to mention the angsty curve ball you threw in - Sam trying to save himself by being bait for who-knows-what monster. Dean's reaction was painful, but completely him.

Great story. You're making a fan out of me. :)
Stoneage Woman chapter 1 . 5/12/2008
Yes, someone HAS gotta give. I'm just glad it was Sam, for once. I felt so sorry for Dean...you really broke my heart with this story.
Von chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
(Especially loves this one)

Sam seems to have a pattern with you. :D Angry blindness followed by sudden realisation. It leads one to wonder.. are these moments of revelation so temporary?

Then again, there have been examples of him remembering lessons learnt in past fics.

I loved the part where he said 'okay'. :D
Isabellec chapter 1 . 3/5/2008
Sam learns about compromise! Great story.
lilballerette10 chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
OMG I LOVED THIS STORY! And this line "Sam could walk away from him, get out of the car in the middle of nowhere, sneak out of their room in the dead of night, but Dean would never leave him, and some part of Sam had always known that. Had probably counted on it"...my fav. line of this story, and it's so freakin true.

And finally how Sam understood and agreed with Dean to let go of the hunt...ahh man awesome story!
Elliesmeow chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
Glad Sam did what Dean needed instead of what he, himself, wanted to do. The writers don't always make him that generous a person.

Loved the bit about neither being lost as long as they knew where the other one was. That was great.

-Ellie