Reviews for Catalyst
StaminaRose chapter 1 . 1/3/2011
This is the pettiest gripe i have ever indulged in, but your definition of a catalyst is incorrect. A catalyst is a chemical substance which lowers the activation energy of a chemical reaction by providing an alternative reaction pathway which requires less energy to complete - all without being consumed. Though technically incorrect, it can be said to speed up a reaction because thats what it looks like from the outside, as this second reaction pathway requires less energy and is thus achieved faster. But no catalyst ever alters the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs.

Other than that... nice fiction. I feel like ive ruined it by correcting you though
tfobmv18 chapter 1 . 4/18/2009
I like it. Now to go check out the sequel. Keep up the good work.
selle18 chapter 1 . 4/27/2008
I'm so glad you addressed Zuko's feelings for Mai! At this point in time, it's obvious that Zuko still thinks about her and is interested in her. (I love the line about Mai's pessimism being a breath of fresh air. Reminded me about the time he told her how he loved how she hated the world.) I thought his vision of their future romantic lives was so adorable. So Zuko. Heck, Zuko is "so Zuko" throughout this entire one-shot. I think a lot of writers (even the decent Zutara authors I've come across) tend to make Zuko a bit too stoic. (In attempt to write him off as a badass, I suppose.) But it's clear, especially in the recent eps., that he's quite the charming dweeb: socially awkward in the presence of his new enemies-turned-allies. So I really enjoyed finally seeing that come through in a fanfic! And it's not just the adorkableness of it, either. It's the general humanity about him. The little things: shivering at the fountain, running to the kitchen in hunger, feeling overdressed. His teenage...urges. (I love that he acknowledges them as what they are, and knows that Mai is who he cares for (at the moment!).) I'm just glad they've been alone more than once without feeling the need to jump each other. And thank god/you for pacing, development and writing THROUGH the canon, not around it. ]

By the way, I also think that Zuko WOULD take a liking to Toph's personality. ] She's the most blunt/realistic of the bunch, a relief from the little bit of Crazy in every other group member.

Katara's character is also pretty much nailed. Though speaking of Katara, I'm not so clear about her decision to teach Zuko Waterbending at night...Did I miss something? Also, she and Sokka seemed too BFFs for me. But I can see it happen. ]

Lastly, I'm really curious about Zuko's dreams and Iroh's message. Zuko, pay attention to prophetic dreams when you get them!

I'll end my rambling here. GREAT story, GREAT characterization, and GREAT theme! (Even if it does bring back bad Chem nightmares involving overcrowded lecture rooms and spilled acidic solutions...)
the-wicked-zutarians chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
i didn't mind the length. it wasn't rushed and wasn't to slow either. it was just right. it was very good. i liked it. very much. i shall keep reading.
ju97ju97 chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
this was really good! keep up the great writing!
CoyoteWolf chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
Aww. That was nice. I like the thought of Zuko bending lightning. It so cool.
KayleeFry chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
Amazing story. I really cannot wait to read the rest of the series. I thought the scenes with Katara and Sokka were really funny. And it is more realistic because she didnt just welcome him into her arms. Great job, keep writing and I'll keep reading!
ladyoinored chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
Aww I loved it. But what's the catalyst in the story, I didn't see it. Was it the waterbanding?
trulysleepdeprived chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
wow, this was actually intriguing *sp* I enjoyed reading it and i can't wait to read for more! how many are in the series and in the next one-shot, are zuko and katara going to move on other than "just good friends"? Plz update the next one soon! I can't wait!
crazy-gal-in-blue chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
lol sry it sounds like it will be a greet story and i would love to read more

CGIB
Turtle's Chopsticks chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
I love it all. The only advice I can think to give is to watch the spelling when you get to this many words. As far as I can tell you only slipped toward the end.

Thats it I can't wait for the next part.
Wren Sharpbeak chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
This was very well written. The characterizations seemed pretty accurate, but i did notice a couple of small inconsistencies where Zuko was concerned.

The first was the need for kindling. The way it was worded at first made it sound like there was wood to burn, but no way to start it. But if that were the case, he only needed firebending to ignite it; not kindling. So if there was no wood at all, that could have been made a little clearer.

The second was the cold water. Again, as a fire bender, why would Zuko stand there shivering in it when he could easily have heated it up? Iroh has done this on a couple of occasions, once with the natural spring in 'The Winter Solstice Part 1' and later with a cup of tea in 'The Drill'. So it stands to reason that Zuko can do the same.

Aside from those two quirks, this was great. I especially liked the end where Zuko is talking to Katara, thinking she is asleep. That was cute, and I can easily imagine that happening.

Nice job. I'm looking forward to more.
Dragon Jadefire chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
Ooh! I can't wait! This is good!

Byakuren sounds like Byakugan.
River Sahia-Tari chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
Very good story so far, looking forward to how the rest turns out!