Reviews for Outside of Convention
memory's marionette chapter 1 . 2/24/2014
I remember reading this years back and thinking it was one of the best fics for this couple. I suppose, because so many stories gloss over the pain and sheer sacrifice in a bloodied world, it was nice to have one that focused on the inevitable and inescapable commentary of death in the lives of (child) soldiers. This is very sorrowful; not necessarily in a way that hits you over the heart, but in a very subtle way, creeping in slowly but overwhelmingly. The repetition helped a lot, I think, functioning as linguistic echoes that ratcheted the steady grief and really drove the point home. Perhaps I'm being biased, because I love the tragedy that comes loaded with 'what if?s' but I do like this fic for it. How do you save something beautiful from ruin if you cannot be sure it even exists and all that jazz.

Lovely job. :)
Franny Mika chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
Wow, such a bittersweet story - I haven't seen a lot of angst that is written as well as this :) Thanks for sharing!
Young Goodman Brown chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
i loved it! the way you wrote this was very cool-the use of repetition was refreshing. you don't waste words. everything about this was awesome. thanks :D
yuushibari chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
I like it.

How you portray their relationship, and the words you used are beautiful.
Moonlit Days chapter 1 . 1/25/2010
wow... there's nothing else i can say ]
Hikoru Aniki chapter 1 . 8/13/2009
I love it. Especially since you highlighted the reality of the shinobi world and wrote of what would happen if all went as it should.

Amazing. Adding to favorites.
uumiho chapter 1 . 3/21/2009
Dude. I /swear to God/ I reviwed this, but looking back I'm not seeing it anywhere. Huh.

Well thank God for re-reading things, because such brings these mishaps into light.

I remember now why I thought this was one of the best NejiTen fics I've ever read. [And I've read a lot of good NejiTen, believe you me.] Being one who can't decide whether she likes happy stories, or realistic stories better-or some convoluted scramble of both-this was an extremely... poignant representation of their relationship. It's the kind of hyper-pessimistic realism that gets to you sometimes, and really really /really/ pulls at the heartstrings; worse than some cruddy deathfic or "wah we broke up" spiel. It's true, because while it's very possible for there to be one hundred and two different ways for them to get together [and eight thousand more for that relationship to fail] the idea that they would be too ruined to even /begin/ is near heartbreaking.

Goddamn it I had a comment I wanted to make after that and I didn't type it down and now I forgot it. F.

But I digress-fantastic, as always. I felt very particular towards the connection of the second-to-last line and the one upper yonder that was like, "This is not a fairy tale because our life sucks." Parallels and building lingual tension excite me. -Judo
Silindro chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
That was fantastic. It makes me rethink the way I see both characters, which is a wonderful trait of a good story.
JanuaryFriend chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
I don't think you need to rewrite it, as it's excellent as is. Fast paced, and dark. Terrible and beautiful. I loved it, every heartbreaking sentence.
twilightm00n chapter 1 . 4/19/2008
-Eyes bulging- Wow... That was pretty intense, but really cool. The part about being "tradition's sacrificial lamb" really hit me. Amazing imagery. Keep up the awesome job!
xdarkbeforedawn chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
omg~ it was really good

i love the angst xD

and i really liked the way you kept repeating the whole "he was a guy, she was a girl" thing

good job )
rawrchelle chapter 1 . 2/20/2008
I thank you for bringing this into the light. The very fact that shinobi are no more than tools of war is something that everyone knows-but something that no one wishes to write about.

To me, Tenten's a little OOC, but that's the point of this whole fic, right? To have to be molded into nothing more than an emotionless corpse; it's bound to happen to a shinobi who does nothing but bring death upon others.

On the other hand, Neji was displayed beautifully. He felt absolutely beautiful and stoic to me. I guess that's the only way I can explain it.

Although I use the word bittersweet more than often, it somehow captured me in this context. Don't ask me why xD.

I also adored the whole "Tradition’s sacrificial lamb" thing. It described Neji much too well, with the whole him being in the branch family and all, and him not doing certain things in order to protect his pride. Although, you probably had some deeper meaning into it, and I'm just too shallow to understand xD.

Continue to write. Definitely.

xpeekaboo
fuckumish chapter 1 . 2/19/2008
Kinda sad...odd but sad...
Takako's Revenge chapter 1 . 2/19/2008
Wow, this is awesome. I have to say, I've been trudging through a lot of mediocre AU stuff for a while, and I've finally found something really incredible.

Thanks, I migt actually be able to write a Neji/Tenten of my own now!

Arigatou!

Sayonara!
Nordwind chapter 1 . 2/18/2008
This is really sad, but as you said beautiful at the same time. Bittersweet.

I like the way the story is told. Neutral and a little cold.

Please do me a favor, don't rewrite it. I think it's perfect the way it is. _

I'm sorry for my language, but I'm German.