Reviews for Practise to Deceive
atlantisfan chapter 1 . 5/5/2020
Thank you so much for this fantastic story! It was a joy to read - I simlpy couldn't stop. You did a great job depicting the characters and their way to communicate and to act. Watching Sheppard nearly lose himself, doubt himself was quite a treat. Shepwump was of course very welcome. However apart from Shepwump and a lot of yummy angst it was such a read because of the great story that came along with it and the little bit of guesswork one had to do at the beginning. I've read nearly all Atlantis stories by Eildon Rhymer. They are all fantastic but this is definitely one of my favourites even though 12 yeasr old by now :) I so wish Eildon would return and write some more!
Aurelia99 chapter 7 . 1/15/2017
Fav Rodney line: "What if it's my turn, and I'm not there?" Oh the angst!
Aurelia99 chapter 4 . 1/14/2017
Oh my what a beautiful plot! I'm really enjoying this and must read on(!) but first I just have to pause and compliment you on this chapter in particular. Rodney's chapter. Poor Rodney. This whole thing just oozes Rodney and Rodney's mannerisms.
"How do I normally act? How do I move my feet?"
Rodney hated him.
It's so Rodney and I love it to bits. It's not easy to portray someone as - distinct? - as he is without overdoing it, but you just nailed it. I could see him, hear him :)

I'm relativley new to the fandom, but I'm devoted (as I understand most fans are) and I really, really cherish these opportunities to delve further into "what could've been".
Ooookay, this little note got out of hand!
Dr.Zimmerman chapter 17 . 9/26/2015
Here's my review on everything.
DAMN! You scared the shit out of me in the beginning! I really thought that everyone had gone into the madhouse! AND then I realize its a undercover, and just have to say. WOW it was amazing and the piece I loved the most was the once between Manning and Shepp. It was so delicated and hard to read since it was so emotional, but you portrayed it so right, in a way that Shep could have suffered if it was him.
Sheppardlover928 chapter 17 . 5/17/2015
Loved this...years late, after posting...excellent plot, more emotional whumping and a bit of physical whumping..but everyone seems to have been dealt on or the other! Darrick got off too easy being killed outright..would have love seeing him ripped apart by Ronon! LOL!
leprechaunlass chapter 17 . 1/5/2015
OK so here I am again...just couldn't let this go without a thank you. Not sure how I have missed this piece over the years but glad I found it. Still not entirely sure this situation would have actually played out with this team but that aside you once again pose some powerful and thought provoking questions about the power of words. They can become weapons that can hurt as much as type of weapons..a beautiful job in exploring this and the effects of using words in a false or malicious manner. Love that your stories are not only enjoyable to read and bring my favorite team out to play with for a bit but you also makes us think on deeper levels about the consequences of what we say and do. Thanks for such enjoyable reads and keeping Atlantis alive and well years later for those of us that just can't give it up!
Ardeliah chapter 1 . 9/16/2014
That was a dark tale! But very well written and very believable.
emeraldarrows chapter 17 . 11/26/2013
Wonderful story.
clerical medical chapter 17 . 4/14/2012
Wow, what an emotional roller coaster ride. This story had just about as much angst as I can take, and I like a lot! The whump was never over done, and I loved the simplicity of the plot and the depth of what you did with it. And as ever, the writing is fabulous. Thank you again.
clerical medical chapter 3 . 4/14/2012
I'm loving this already. I hardly ever manage to tear myself away from a fic long enough to leave a review before the final chapter, but I'm trying to have more self-control! Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for the first three chapters, and I love how this is reminding me in a very good way of the SG1 episode where O'Neill appears to have lost the plot and gone rogue. But your version is, happily, much, much, darker, which is the way I like it. Right, off to read the rest.
scifi-karis chapter 17 . 8/30/2011
I loved this story! The best thing about it was that it played out just how I imagined a real episode would, with twists and turns and suspense right up to the end! You could have drawn out the whole "Sheppard being a spy" thing longer and not revealed it until the end, but it would have been a totally different story if you had done that, and I liked the way that you did do it.
Ani-maniac494 chapter 17 . 12/27/2009
This was brilliant. I loved the insight into the characters, and the situation, and most of all, I loved that you showed the human cost to that kind of deception, necessary or not. It was a fantastic look into Atlantis, and the human heart. :)

I also loved that John simply didn't know how much he means to those in Atlantis, beyond his team. It felt totally in character, and it's so easy to imagine.

Incredible work! :)

Ani-maniac494
Azolean chapter 9 . 9/10/2009
I normally don't stop and do meaningless chapter-by-chapter reviews; and this isn't really a review. I just couldn't help but comment on your A/N at the end.

LMAO! *wipes away tears of laughter and reads the last few lines again* LMFAO!

OMG I can so relate. Sometimes you enjoy torturing characters and can successfully convince yourself it's actually "character development". Then there are times they're just begging for it despite whatever you had planned for them. This would not have been nearly so funny had I not just encountered a similar issue while reviewing last year's NaNoWriMo disaster in an effort to prepare for the 2009 round.

Therefore, my roommate and I both decided to give you a 10 for that oh so honest remark. Sometimes they bring it on themselves and, as a writer, the guilt you suffer is just so unbearable. Right? lol

Thank you. I can't even begin to tell you how badly I needed that laugh today.
gem1n1 chapter 17 . 8/23/2009
This had me hooked from the start - I really didnt want to stop reading but Real Life kept getting in the way

Loved all the plot twists and the character motivations that built the story making it more in depth
Inkbug chapter 17 . 6/4/2009
First of, I'm very glad to have stumbled upon your work here!

You've written an excellent piece. I adore your characterization, and the reasons behind their actions. Everybody had different motivations, and different feelings, all were expressed wonderfully.

I look forward to reading more from you soon!