Reviews for And Yet He Flinched
lovesrainscent chapter 1 . 10/29/2003
Bloody brilliant! I can't begin to describe how this made me feel - how absolutely perfectly in character it was for everyone involved.
Liten chapter 1 . 10/4/2003
Really really great!
BatWings08 chapter 1 . 9/1/2003
That was awe inspiring, the best summary fic of Severus' life that I've ever seen- and you did it in one chapter, hardly giving any details away. You wrote the characters perfectly. Well done isn't strong enough for praise.
PhantomTF chapter 1 . 8/31/2003
I read this story ages ago but never had the chance to review. I am stunned how closely your view of Severus' childhood mirrors my own. I believe that Severus was shaped by abusive parents and by the time he was ready to accept help from Dumbledore, the Shrieking Shack happened, leaving him ripe for the Death Eaters. I incorporated this into my mammoth fic Sticks and Stones (evil plug) before reading your story. All of this before reading OOtP! I guess we're channeling Rowling!
Queen Momoko chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
This story was just so sad. I'm almost on the verge of crying. Poor Snape having to endure so much from his family. And it's funny that I never thought of what they had really done to him until that last little part. I thought it was sexual abuse, but the fact that he was cursed. I just feel really horrible for him.

This one-shot you put a lot of development into McGonagall's characterization and why Snape is the way he is and I think that you did an excellent job of it. McGonagall was a very sympathetic character that I really liked. I felt that through her narrative the reader got a true feeling of the power behind everything. This story could have been written a lot weaker than it actually was, if Snape had been the narrator. But as it was, it was a truly moving piece of fiction.

Keep up the good work.
Selke chapter 1 . 7/8/2003
That...was beautiful. I almost cried.

And I especially love the ending... I wasn't expecting it. It was beautifully well done...

I'm speechless...
Sugoi Neko chan chapter 1 . 6/27/2003
Absoulutely gut-wrenching... the best story of this kind I've EVER read. Seriously.
ParadigmSlider chapter 1 . 6/6/2003
Wow, that last line was amazing! How do you write like that? No, really, how do you write like that? I mean, where do you come up with such great lines? That line gave me the shivers. I'm trying to do that with the story I'm writing, but I'm not so good at it. You should read my story if you get the chance. (Er... you don't really need to.) I only have the first chapter posted, but I have the whole story planned. It's a little similar to yours, Sev's parents are abusive, anyway. Right, enough about me. Your Snape is very in-character, the story has good insight into the Potions Master. Ok, I'm done.

-Chessie
Elysia chapter 1 . 2/26/2003
Hey There,

Your story is beautiful, I so could see it coming but not at the same time if you get me, at the end I still went "oh my God!" but he was so in character.

I loved your last line, it really wound the peice of so it was a completed circle linking the past and present.

Great work, write more,

Elysia
SR1918 chapter 1 . 1/29/2003
Wow! What a powerful story. You've hit all the emotional buttons without being melodramatic. I love McGonagall's protectiveness - reminds me of her reaction to leaving Harry with the Dursleys.

As a suggestion, it might be helpful to add a sentence or two elaborating when he came back. Rather than McGonagall saying how hard it must have been for him to come back, maybe you have Snape display that through his body language and expressions.

Anyway, great job.
Alchemine chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
I actually read this story for the first time a few months ago, but am now rereading. It's just as powerful and moving as I remember - such emotion conveyed in such simple language, which is no less beautiful for its simplicity. I felt McGonagall's pain just as strongly as Snape's. She's clearly been carrying the guilt of her failure to help him for years. I wasn't quite as sorry for Dumbledore - for someone who's supposed to know everything, he missteps quite often when it comes to matters of judgement, and I think the willow incident was no exception - but I did feel for him, too.

It's just an amazing story. Truly amazing.
no account chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
God, I love this story...

;; So so much...

Thank you for writing it, it is one fo my favourite fanfictions.

SS
wallyflower chapter 1 . 1/4/2003
This is powerful, and charming, and brilliant. The title and repeated use of 'Yet he flinched' was a terribly good point in the story... and you have written it all down with such skill, and such empathy with your characters.

I think the highest point in this study is this: *he tried to kill me and it doesn't matter to you*. Since PoA, I've harboured some sort of dislike for Dumbledore, simply for not expelling Sirius Black for a reckless deed that may have resulted in death. Now it is acknowledged, and we get an idea of how much courage it took for Severus to pick himself up to confide in Dumbledore, whom he must have resented.

Telling it in Minerva's point of view- a voice rarely heard-was a good idea. You have illustrated to well the bond between them.

Kay
Tamara Evans chapter 1 . 12/29/2002
Oh dear. Oh, oh, oh, dear. I'm crying now. Look at me, look what you've done! Oh, dear. ::weeping:: I just want to hug little 11-year-old Severus! And he flinched. How perfect. You have a wonderful grasp of how to evoke emotion. Oh dear. I'm such a baby. GREAT JOB. Excuse me, I need to reread so I can start-up again.

:*(

-Tam
Lunatic chapter 1 . 12/26/2002
I can't believe that I didn't find this story earlier... OMG it's INCREDIBLE! I love it to bits...
270 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »