Reviews for One Gorram Reason
Separate Entity chapter 3 . 4/23
Fantastic story.
EagleJarl chapter 3 . 4/19/2014
Nope, you pulled it off. This clearly wasn't about UST between the two, it was about mutual pain and need for emotional healing on both parts - River to be reminded she's human, and Jayne to be reminded that he's not bad.

The ending was sweet, but Jayne sounds a little smarter than the series paints him. I'm not too bothered, but I noticed it.

Fun story. Thanks for writing.
EagleJarl chapter 2 . 4/18/2014
You show Jayne as a better man than I think canon supports, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. A merc who still sends money home to his family has at least some decency left in him, and I can see River's treatment at the Academy, and the possibility of him "taking advantage" both being on his "do not do" list.

And yes, it was very clear that this had nothing to do with sexual attraction. No worries on that front.
EagleJarl chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
Heh. Yep, this is about how I imagine their relations going. It'll be interesting seeing how you turn this into a relationship. I suppose now that River is thinking about sex in connection with Jayne, and Jayne has noticed that River is kinda a hottie...maybe? Still doesn't seem likely - Jayne is smart enough to know that laying a carnal finger (or any other kind of finger, actually) on River is a death sentence. It would be pretty much a lottery to see who got to kill him first, with everyone on the ship except Kaylee and (probably) Inara putting their hat in the ring.
all forms of fluff chapter 3 . 11/29/2012
You tell a might fine story, Peptuck. This one and the one where Jayne taught River how to shoot were both short but brilliant pieces to add to you Firefly collection. I do like how you sort of ended where you started with this on. The brow beating Jayne took to chage his mind about proforming what is eciantly a companian's duty was interesting. Well It has been a bit of time since watching the source material but arn't companians ... sort of like spirtual healers through intamicies? And you know mighty fine rutting skills at a premiem. Hell theres a story for you, Jayne taking a companian course from Inara. You could even have a ligitmate reasons for him to approace her about it if you were to expaind this story into something longer or incorpate it into a future story. Well What ever you do I want you to know that I enjoy your stories and am looking forward to more of you firefly material. Untill then continue to have fun writting, cause if you having fun it shows and makes reading fun in return.
animegus farmus chapter 3 . 4/22/2012
Mission accomplished on what you were trying to convey (as stated in the AN). This was a very well thought out, well executed story. And frankly, it's a much stronger base for a relationship than most people give them (or other characters). Beautifully done.
Dherea chapter 3 . 12/8/2011
I enjoyed the dynamic between J&R in this tale. They became friends. Jayne looked beyond the obvious and when it mattered, was there for River. River let Jayne help her and, in turn, they both benefitted. River and Jayne are both a little OOC (I.e. River sound sane and Jayne is compassionate...) but I like'em like that!
The Frisky Firelily chapter 3 . 6/22/2011
Superb. Utterly engaging and perfectly executed. Rayne in the most realistic possible sense; how would it come about? Jayne's progression through the series is rarely touched upon in such depth, with such delicacy and deliberation, plus River's approach and eventually request were just spot on. Loved it. Seriously, this is a benchmark Rayne fic, I loved it!

And I'm not just saying that because I'm obsessed with the weird pairing :P
REfan99 chapter 3 . 2/1/2011
An expertly told story, portraying the characters as in the film/series. Wasn't sure I was going to like it after the first chapter, but by the second I was captivated by your story telling. Bravo.
anon chapter 3 . 1/11/2011
:D so cute.
StarWars-Freak chapter 3 . 12/26/2010
Never liked Rayne until now.
basaltone chapter 3 . 10/26/2010
Nice story, I like the progression their relationship and I loved the end where they establish themselves as friends and support- something they both need terribly. Thanks.
RevDorothyL chapter 3 . 5/28/2010
Well done! Very much in keeping with the characters in canon, but moving and comforting all the same. I don't think you overdid Jayne's good mood in this third chapter at all, and the lightening of River's burden was lovely to see.
RevDorothyL chapter 3 . 1/13/2010
My sincere compliments for your well-reasoned, in-character, and quite moving portrayal of River and Jayne getting together for reasons that accentuate the best in both of their characters, while not arbitrarily forgetting about any of their problematic history.

Much as I love fluffy, blatant wish-fulfillment Rayne fic, I think I actually prefer to read complex and in-depth explorations like this.

Nice work!
SusanMarieS chapter 3 . 8/19/2009
good story. thanks for the effort put forth.