Reviews for The Long Night
Dimac99 chapter 9 . 2/14/2011
This is a really awesome story and I'm glad I stayed up late to finish it. It's not like any other Firefly story I've read, the darkness isn't because of some external force but instead is internal. It's like watching someone else's relationship break up through their own stupidity right in front of you and being powerless to stop it. I'm glad some of the characters got a happy ending, but I do think you *improved* Jane just a little bit too much. Even if he was doing his best to be a better person, I think he'd still be rougher around the edges than this. But otherwise it's a fantastic and original fic and and I look forward to reading it again.
ljm chapter 9 . 1/14/2011
Very nice story.
basaltone chapter 9 . 10/16/2010
So sad, so sorry for Mal. Wish he could see he way out of his greif. Glad that Jayne and River and Kaylee found their way out. Hope that Zoe can too.
antivol chapter 9 . 9/4/2010
This is an awesome story! It made me feel warm inside, your ending. I like Mal but I can see him turning bitter like that. And you kept him in character, I could hear him, with his deadpan humor in all situations. I loved Zoe in your story, too, and that she stays with Mal, but needs him to change. And I loved Jayne, you made him so touching, and I'm glad he finally found people who like and respect him, for a change. And I love how you treated the "long night" issue for Zoe and for Jayne. You're a terrific writer - thank you for sharing!
Ali chapter 9 . 7/15/2010
Hi, I just stumbled across this piece as well. I'd never seen it before and really liked it. Mal really screwed up. Any chance of you ever revisiting this with a sequel? Also, I can't wait for more of the sequel to "The Last Spartan." Good stuff
verkisto chapter 9 . 8/25/2009
I like that you took this all the way to its logical conclusion with a different kind of happy ending. And the characterizations were true to the story throughout without being OTT. Also all motivations were well-grounded, even the pig-headed ones! ;-)

Warning to anyone who wants to read this fic: Do not expect to read it a chapter at a time. I couldn't, even though that's what I set out to do. No regrets except that NEEDING to read it all at once means no slow savouring of this terrific fic!
bookstheantidrug chapter 9 . 12/4/2008
that was realy good and really sad and happy and angsty and unexpected and WOW. I've always liked Jayne a lot, and Mal not so much, so...\o/ thanks! *hearts*
Aemie chapter 9 . 10/31/2008
interesting! what a very different take on the post BDM life of the Serenity crew. and its a credit to you that i can now see that happening, with both a poor mal and stupid dumb evil mal side to the internal conversation. of course, even though you wrote it so well, that is not what happened. no way. I refuse to believe thats how the story ends. not that, if it did happen, kaylee and river shouldnt follow jayne, cause they should, as they did, but mal isnt like that. nope. uh uh. i refuse to believe it. right?

ps well done, im doubting :p
Blackdragonpi chapter 9 . 9/4/2008
This story was actually very good. It had an excellent plot and deep thought behind it. I can picture that happening in the series very clearly.
Lampyridae chapter 9 . 3/15/2008
Very good plot, great use of the characters. A fine bit of writing, all based on Kaylee's "Capt'n gone run them off one by one just like he run off Book and Inara"

Even after being fired Jayne redeems himself to the crew but Mal refuses to see it. Zoe is hanging on by a thread so Mal will have to redeem himself to her first then the rest. However, it may be hard for Mal to ever regain Kaylee's trust again.
Kristafied chapter 9 . 3/2/2008
Yet another extremely well-written story from you! Grief does funny things to people; a concept you explored very well in this story. Yes, it's dark, but it's realistic as well.
LadyNoreh chapter 9 . 3/1/2008
Sometimes it's nice to read a story that shows how life can be unpredictable and bittersweet, even after the happy ending.

Poor Kaylee, she didn't deserve to be treated that way and I can't help but think that if Early didn't traumatize her enough... this certainly would have done the trick.

I loved the ending. Thank you for a great read!
CanadianAbby chapter 9 . 2/28/2008
I just sat down and read all nine chapters. Your story is amazing! The character voices were spot on. I tend to avoid character loss stories that are Jayne-centric, but I'm very glad I read anyway.
Dione Robertson chapter 9 . 2/26/2008
OMG-OMG-O.M.G.

Wowie

I noticed your descripton of this story, as a not happy one and was avoiding it; since I'm such a Jayne lover.

Now that I have read all 9 chapters in one sitting; I'm feeling pretty blessed to have read your .ever(at this time...).

You may want to change your header...this is not a angst story; it's full of drama and driven by loss, but angst is not in your story.

Not a bold statement when your Mal in this story is so busying rooting out the weed of Jayne that he is killing the healthy flowers his presence has healed.

In many of your other stories u paint Mal this way; unreasonably hard on Jayne and then Mal changes a bit and does not ride him as hard.

Not the case in this story. Mal refuses to change. What a amazing idea you have gifted my eyeballs with!

I declare this a love story; because u have given Jayne what he has worked for with Firefly for the past few months-home and family. U gave River the same, and restored the potential of healing Kaylee.

One season of Firefly for this most excellent story...THANKS!
jcap1526 chapter 9 . 2/26/2008
This is my favorite out of all your stories. It was unsettling to see Mal in such a different light, but I'd like to believe that Jayne would have grown/matured after the BDM to be more like the character you had in this story (to some degree). Any chance we'll see a continuing story with Monty and his crew...even if it's just a oneshot?