Reviews for Dream of Silence
Nom de Plume chapter 1 . 10/27/2014
The theme of single-minded determination (or is it desperation? Could be the same, perhaps) and what is exchanged for throwing oneself wholeheartedly into a goal - ironically, the desirer himself. You gave SoC its due justice in one-shot.

I love how you used repetition as not only a writing device but also to imitate Wander's thoughts. How his mind and body gradually deteriorated, not necessarily because of madness but because of a love that is too extraordinary. It is a different sort of madness and how you portrayed it was very realistic and poignant to his character. The urgency in his thoughts to get to the next colossus and onto the next,nextnextnext... As if any time spent resting is a waste in time better spent saving - that had to be my favorite part because I remember how in the game I was frustrated with having to pause at times but that was in the perspective of a player. This man here, you remind us he's the one that has any right to be upset. The situation is dire and consequences, heavy.

Nicely done. You stayed true to the game's tone.
Yuki Valons chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
The most heartbreaking scene in the entire game for me was when he reached for her, but couldn't make it to her side. You've captured that feeling brilliantly; very well written!
Pied Flycatcher chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
I like it - stark, like the game itself. You really captured the atmosphere.
Sowing Poppies chapter 1 . 8/22/2008
This is the only Shadow of the Colossus fic I have ever read, but I have a feeling that it is also going to be the best. (That is, unless you write another one of course.)

Wow. You write the main character's journey so beautifully and touch on all the details that mark the progression through the game. I absolutely adore how you reduce his world to "the girl, the god, and the mountains" because it's so simple and, when you get down to it, that's what the game is all about. The mood of the fic feels sort of dreamy and that is so spot on that I want to replay the game again just to remind myself how mind-blowingly awesome the environment is. I'm actually glad you stopped where you did instead of taking it all the way to the end because the main character's (oh man, does he even have a name?) story ends at that point. Lovely lovely lovely writing. I need to further explore your fics now.
LazyLaze chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
This story is a few months old, but I just stumbled across it and...WOW. This is definitely one of the best SOTC fanfics out there. It's short but sweet, and the last line is a punch to the gut. This is wonderfully written, terribly sad, and I'm glad I got to enjoy this gem. Please write more for SOTC, you have talent!

And by the way, I'm favoriting this, it's just that good :)!
IceLemur chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
It captures the emotion of the game in its entirety,it's like the essence of the game's story. Minimalistic, yet clear.
Tobu Ishi chapter 1 . 4/6/2008
I've often wondered what went through Wander's mind when the exhaustion started to set in, and the pain, and the mysterious streaks of shadow. One of these days I'll probably take my own crack at exploring it in fic. Until then, this'll more than tide me over.

I love the relentless repetition of his apathy, the way you make it so clear to what his vision has narrowed, and why. The word "important" maybe gets just a use or two too many, I have to admit, but it doesn't come close to ruining the effect. Thank you for the good read.
Windsong chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
Zomg, a Shadow of the Colossus fanfic! It never occured to me.

I've not played SoC, but I've played its pseudo-Sequel, ICO, and I've heard all about it. Your fic is beautiful and captures Wander's desperation perfectly. Much love, as always.
oddstick chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
Wow. I found this piece to be very powerful and emotional even though it is so minimalisitic. Great work that keeps in line with the game's feeling.
Negative Creep chapter 1 . 2/26/2008
Always a joy to read an honest-to-god, well-written SOTC piece, even when it's a short one. Lovely rhythm, lovely language. Excellent job.
darkmouse jumu chapter 1 . 2/26/2008
O.O You wrote for Shadow of the Colossus! That's so out of the blue, and so welcome a surprise! I'm giddy, I just watched (shame on me, I do a lot of this) the credits roll with my roommate not more than a few days ago.

You've captured the tone so well - the simplicity of the game and his quest. I like the insight into his mind (i'll be damned if i know his name, still!) and the return to his three simple realities: the god, the girl, and the mountains. It's beautiful and adds to the original story without stealing that... poetic feeling.

Beautiful work. Praise for that game is hard; it's difficult to find the words that won't break the spell but will embrace the feeling. I'm amazed you found so many.
Crab-San chapter 1 . 2/25/2008
ZOMG...that was so awseome! i envy ur writing! XD
TopKat chapter 1 . 2/25/2008
gorgeous. A really fitting overview, too - the first part especially, and the last line really struck a chord. I hope you liked your present (i did, at least!)