Reviews for Play It My Way
Pr1nCesS-SpaFfi chapter 19 . 10/30/2013
I really love your style of writing, although simple it's deep.
The way you bring your ideas together really just make it perfect as well, like the way Bet On It was used to inspire the story. Even love the way you used it to name not only the story but every individual chapter.

Brilliantly written (:
askljl chapter 21 . 8/21/2011
Another fantastic story! It could have used more troyella scenes but either way awesome awesome fic! I'm looking forward to reading the somedays series.
Ariauna chapter 22 . 5/24/2011
love it
withoutspaces chapter 19 . 8/12/2010
Wow umm, I don't know where to begin really.

Guess I'll just start with this, I know you finished this story like 2 years ago, but hey better later than never (or something along those lines, whatever).

I can't even remember how I got to this story three (or was it four?) days ago, but I did. Believe me, I'm a fan of your work, it's just... I can't explain how awesome of and author you are and it kinda freaks me that I haven't read this story until now since I've actually been on FF before I even started this account. I think I remember reading the beginning of this story like a half year ago but guess it didn't really get stuck in my head like it did now.

I started reading this story a few days ago, and since then I've been like constantly wanting to continue to read. Thinking about it now, the fact that it's about 'Troy's journey of self discovery' (as you put it :) could of been the answer to why I didn't feel the pull to read it earlier. But please believe me when I say this; I am so happy I opened the first chapter of "Play It My Way".

Having the slightest idea of why this story really spoke to me, i thought I would share. Your way of writing this story was truly amazing to read through. After all this is a FanFiction site, but that can't stop people from writing stuff that could actually happen in real life too, right ;) Well, I felt like this story was actually something like that, something that could happen in real life. The way you explained things, the way Troy always thought about stuff and struggled, trying to voice his thoughts but finding it hard, I think that is a situation a lot of kids today find themselves in. And it’s not very often that they actually speak their minds, like Troy get to do with for example Taylor, and then with Gabriella on her birthday. I could see myself in this story, there were a lot of situations that I was like “hey, I’ve gone through something like that” and then see in the end that he actually manages to make it through.

It’s really hard to explain but I hope that I got my thoughts through even the slightest at least. I’m gonna continue reading the last two unpolished scenes now but just thought I’d drop this comment by since you officially ended the story here. And again, I’m so happy that I finally read through this, and congratulations for doing an amazing job on this story!

P.s Looking forward to the next chapter of The Simple Need ;) YOU’RE AWESOME!
runninequalslife chapter 19 . 2/4/2010
I know you said that you had issues with this story, but quite honestly I liked it a lot. Was it as epic as the Someday magic? No, not at first.. But it was still a great read and I'm really happy I did. It flowed right into HSM2 so well and justified Troy's decisions that Troy makes in the movie. I was impressed with this. The end stayed true to the characters and it was really fun to read.

I felt like the story picked up after the basketball tournments... they were interesting to read but there were parts that it felt as though it could be slightly detached from the HSM world. That okay though, many would argue that you could completely remove HSM2 and it would falter the trilogy. Honestly, and it could be my TG heart a work, but I felt that Troy's birthday party was when I felt the "Someday" vibe again. It was never completely off track, but I felt at home again when Troy returned.

What did strike me as amazing though, was ironically nothing to do with Troy. It was Gabriella's characterization that really opened my eyes and impressed me. You eased her into the group with such perfection and opened her shell so much that I was shocked. It was beautifully exicuted, and makes so much more sense in Someday now. Gabriella's the core of the group and became their rock without Troy. That carries into the rest of the series -as if I thought your characterization of her couldn't get any better, you blew me away.

I curse you for making me want to reread OUAT again -maybe I'll just read a chapter or two a day. I'm so happy I dove deeper into my favorite story... it really makes me feel more connected despite the whole "my life will be over when it's finally finished" thing.

Awesome stuff... I really enjoyed this.
runninequalslife chapter 1 . 2/2/2010
For a brief moment, I hesitated before I started reading this. Not because I didn't want to or any of that jazz -but I hadn't really read the summery before and then realised that it overshadows the issue of Troy's drive for perfection and need to be the best. I was shaky because it's these topics that I'm currently dabbling with and I didn't want this story to feed into my own...

And thank you Dani, the scene happily confirmed that there will be no issue and I can safely read the rest of the story.

It's going to be interesting to see you write completely a Troy centric story. Obiviously, others are going to effect, but I'm excited because it will be awesome to see your characterization of him progress here. I'm pumped... and have no doubt that you will justify Troy's reasonings for this apparent drug taking - something I raise my eyebrows to.

I'm excited to continue.
GleekStarkidPotterheadEyebrows chapter 10 . 10/11/2009
kk im lovin this one bout how its troy centric (yum!) but also got a good dose of troyella (which i cant live without, sad i know, but ah well!)

also i only just noticed that all these chapter titles are lines from Bet On It from hsm2 (Troy's solo) which is really good since PIMW is mainly to do with troy, anyway i'll stop rambling its 11:30 at night and i ave 2 b up at 6 in the morning 4 skool 2 hours of child development not looking 4ward 2(can dream bout troyella though!) but 3 whoe hours of DRAMA! WHO! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

keep writin!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rachel xx
thedevinemrsmochafairiemonster chapter 21 . 9/7/2009
Okay, I got caught up in your drabble and deleted scenes but I wanted to respond to the conclusion of PIMW. I can totally understand how a G rated Disney movie inspired you this way. Even though some of the problem solving and overall sugary sweetness keep the angst at bay the feelings, implied and explicit, are very real. People from varying backgrounds etc. responded to the basic premises of the story. So you should know that you are not alone in thinking about the ramifications of actions, pasts/futures and all of the in between stuff that has made this fandom so HUGE!

Change is inevitable but growth is certainly optional. You've managed to show that with the main characters (T&G) and secondary characters as well. Specifically about Troy and his actions and his friends reactions in HSM2-his own ambition, manipulation by Sharpay/Jack Bolton and a lack of true communication with his friends revealed apart of Troy that nobody wanted to see. But this trait exists in all of us given the right set of circumstances. Understanding what is most important not only to you but to those closest to you helps you to more effectively achieve that balance that you were talking about earlier. It never stops and its not easy but damn it, what would life be like without something to reach for!

On a more personal note, thank you for proving that Fanfic can be full of depth as well as well written. The best stories with great characters really do inspire you to great heights as a writer. Thank you for sharing your obsession with us:) -amb
thedevinemrsmochafairiemonster chapter 12 . 9/6/2009
How could I not say something when Zac Efron on top of anything is offered:) Honestly, Troy is the most patient teenage boy I've ever seen. It would be nice to see that in real life HA! I kid.
thedevinemrsmochafairiemonster chapter 11 . 9/6/2009
I for one love side story so I think its a great idea that you are exploring Chaylor. I love how original canon leaves these ideas open for you to play with. I also was thinking about what Chad was talking about and what that look was about. It was like the screenwriter giving us a nod saying "Yes this is a Disneyfied version of HS and I do know what goes on but you're going to have to use your own imagination/point of reference because you ain't gonna see that played out on the screen!"
thedevinemrsmochafairiemonster chapter 9 . 9/5/2009
that was quite the setup you have going there at the end...
foreveroth chapter 22 . 9/5/2009
awesome story ! seriously! and someday was outstanding! i love your writing! troyella is aweseome!
thedevinemrsmochafairiemonster chapter 6 . 9/5/2009
Okay I don't totally hate Jackson but I never did anyway. The world is full of haters and people that love to wallow in the misery of others as well as their own. We all have to deal with them at some point in our lives and those that are gifted with extreme talent usually have to deal with it more. Talent puts a big spotlight/magnifying glass on the bearer sometimes depending on what kind of support they have they are well adjusted normal individuals and other times they can crack into a million little pieces under the pressure of being blessed. When a person cracks that can manifest itself in different ways-drug abuse, alcoholism, or just being an abusive jerk.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is while you showed Ian in context he still "chose" to be an abusive jerk even when he didn't need to be. I would say that Jack rides Troy as hard as Ian's dad does-maybe even harder. The boys just handle the situations differently. -amb
thedevinemrsmochafairiemonster chapter 1 . 8/31/2009
That is a scary place. When you are competing at a high level and you come up against one of the evils of trying to get to the next level. Performance enhancing drugs and sport is like french fries (chips) and mayonaise. You know its bad for you but its so enticing. Maybe that was a bad analogy but you get what I'm saying. I wonder with all the pressure would Troy be interested in taking what I would consider a shortcut. There is a right way and a wrong way to do just about everything-here's hoping he picks the right way.
nrab chapter 14 . 7/19/2009
Since you did a Troy-centric story, would you ever consider doing another character-centric one that isn't Troy?