Reviews for Dead Men Tell No Tales
lostatc chapter 7 . 7/21/2008
Great ending. I liked how it addressed issues from the show and applied it to this story. I like that Dean was saved by Sam (although not something I think they should do in the show). All in all, I really, really liked this story from beginning to end.
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 7 . 7/20/2008

and what a finale it was my dear!

i swear i fell off my chair, countless times hun, you are unbeliveably incredable and i love you!

Sam coming back like that! and the stolen Defib heheh with a note LOVE IT HUN xx

OH this is such an amazing story and you've pulled it off, tuging my heratstrings, making me laugh, cry, feel for both the boys, even Collete... loved it hun

your truly amazing and what a big finish

bless those boys hehe x

amd sam understands

thanks hun, peaceful ending

abni chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
Hi there :)

First - Sorry I haven't reviewed much lately, life's still pretty crazy, and I tend to postpone reviewing until I have time to ramble - which, unfortunately, means I'm terribly delayed at this point. But I'll get back to your other stories too at one point, I promise!

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us, it's been a great ride (no pun intended), having angst, humour, wonderful brotherly moments, heartbreak with the continuous underlying tenstion of Dean's deal, and let's not forget the great moments of Dean-the-pirate.

This was a wonderful chapter to finish off the story, those absolutely heartbreaking moments in the hospital, and then the final moments of understanding reached even though the words have not actually been spoken. THat unspoken understanding is one of hte things I absolutely love about the show, and you depict it wonderfully in those 'we're good?' - 'we're good.' moments.

I love how it's Sam's voice that brings Dean back, how even though Dean knows that in the end, some day, he's going to have to leave Sam, he's still unable to turn his back on his brother's pleading voice.

'Dean hung his head and sighed. How they’d made it out of childhood without Sammy owning everything Dean had was a miracle. That particular tone and those exact words never failed to work. Dean guessed it was because Sam was smart enough to only use it when he really, really meant it or Dean was good at hiding how well it worked. Yeah, that had to be it.

Whatever the reason, Dean could no more resist it now than he ever could. “I’m coming, Sam,” he said, resigned. He would have to work on preparing Sam for his death later because right now, when he could still respond to Sam, he had to.' - love this, especially that 'yeah, that had to it' - yep, Dean, of course it is *grins*

Also - I love how you had Sam steal the defibrillator and actually have him doing CPR with it - I sometimes get a littel annoyed that they don't show that on the show, sometimes it's 'oh she's not breathing, she's gone - oh, now she wakes up!' (Playthings) and another time (Red Sky) it was just 'oh he drowned, too bad we couldn't save him'. Annoys me a teeny tiny bit! But I'm digressing, sorry!

'It had been close, too damn close. Dean couldn’t survive many more like this and Sam knew it would break him along with it. Mom, Jess, Dad had all been hard in their own ways, had changed him or their family, and had tapped at Sam’s inner strength. But Dean, Dean would be different. The one constant in his life, the one person that believed in him, the one person he believed in would be gone.' - Love love love, this passage! This so very clearly expresses how Sam feels, how much Dean means to him. Wonderfully written, so very heartbreaking!

'“About the time you drank the poisoned tea, Socrates.” ' *grins* love this, Sam calling Dean 'Socrates' and Dean getting back at him later with 'Winona' LOL. And I love that scene with them walking up the beach, laughing over Sam's theft and his leaving the note, I can so picture that!

And *grins* ah, poor Sam, having to wear those terrible borrowed scrubs. Love how you use something like this to add a lighter tone to the story, to kind of contrast with the angst and heartbreak. Works brilliantly!

I love love love those last scenes at the hospital. I think you perfectly convey both their emotions and also the rift that the deal made between them and which was very evident at the beginning of season 3 - Dean wanting Sam to be willing to let him go, Sam not wanting to, and both of htem kind of in denial and both torn up inside and not willing to let the other see it.

'The only real problem that existed was he couldn’t take his mind off his brother or the mysterious missing time from his life. Time was something he could ill afford to lose. He had less than one year. Three hundred and thirty-seven – make that, thirty-six days to do, well, anything.

There were a finite number of times he would be with a woman, drink beer and shoot pool with his brother or listen to his favorite songs. There were only so many evil sons of bitches he could bring down, a limited time to teach Sam how to hunt on his own, and a smattering of opportunities to follow up on all the things on his “before I die” list.

And this weight that had settled on his chest, it grew heavier by the day. Dean didn’t know if it was guilt, responsibility, dread or just plain fear, but some days he thought it would crush him. Added to it was the haunted look Sam wore on his face whenever he thought Dean wasn’t looking.

Dean’s breath hitched. He quickly boxed his fears and shoved them into a corner. The box rattled and shook, the fears inside scratching loudly on the cardboard containing them. He knew he wouldn’t be able to keep them at bay for long this time, but it would be enough for now. It would buy him time to fall asleep and hopefully, his emotional strength would return with his physical endurance.

He squeezed his eyes shut and breathed deeply. With time-honed experience he evened out his breathing, relaxed his muscles and shut his mind down. Within the span of a few minutes, the last of Dean’s resistance faded, allowing him to easily fall asleep.' -

This passage is absolutely wonderful. So to the point, so very vividly portraying how Dean must feel inside with all those responsibilites - teaching Sam to hunt on his own, for instance - and his own fears and how he deals - or doesn't deal - with them. LOVE that metaphor of the fears boxed in and then the fears fighting to get out. (And yes, I'll admit it, I was in tears at this point).

And then those final moments when they make peace, and Sam falling asleep on Dean's bed and Dean placing the pillow benath his head *snif* , and Dean's final thought 'please don't hate me' and Sam's understanding reply, squeezing his arm... So so so much more heartbreaking since we know how the season actually ended.

Again, thank you so much for sharing this story with us! And don't worry about it having taken a long time, I don't mind at all waiting for chapters from authors I like :D

Love, Anne
TammiTam chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
Awesome ending girl, I always love the brotherly fluff you add! It's great, and your version of the boys is dead on.
Vanessa Sgroi chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
Fabulous wrap up to this story. The final hospital scenes were so touching. They definitely had me choking up. Thank you so much for sharing this tale.
pinkphoenix1985 chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
what a great ending!
Chiiyo86 chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
Hey! What a nice way to begin the day, having the end of "Dead Men Tell No Tales" to read!

I liked Sam's POV a lot. I could feel his frantic panic, and his despair. And the way he repeats several times "He's my brother" is really in character: I've noticed he says that a lot in the show (more than Dean does, actually), and it's always heavy with meaning.

But all of this was so painful to read after the end of season. Is it september yet?

Just one little detail, about the use of the french "mon amie" when Colette talks to Sam at the end of previous chapter: in french, the use of the "e" at the end of the word means the word is female. As Sam is very not female, it should be "mon ami". It's nothing but to my french eyes it was... well, quite hilarious (poor Sammy!).

Anyway, thanks for this chapter, and for the whole story!
princess peanut chapter 7 . 7/19/2008
What a wonderful ending! Bravo bravo bravo. You get a standing ovation for this one.

You sure know how to mix mystery, action, and all that heart breaking angst in one, and still leave me smiling at the end.

I just love your stories, and I sure hope you continue. You've got such a wondeful talent. When you write your first novel, I'll be first in line to buy it :)

Excellent job! The crowd cheers loudly!
kokoda2007 chapter 7 . 7/19/2008
I thought it was unusual to see one of your stories labelled humor/mystery. You couldn't do it, could you? The angst was just too tempting. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I love the angst. In fact this story was a great mixture of humor and angst that worked really really well. (In all honesty, I don't usually read humor - but made an exception for you, because you write everything so well).

Fantastic as always.

Thanks for sharing.
Nana56 chapter 7 . 7/19/2008
Aw. What a fantastic ending to a great fic. I really enjoyed this whole story, but the best part, as always, is the brother stuff. I can tell by the way you write it, you agree. Thanks so much for posting this for us to enjoy!

kokoda2007 chapter 1 . 7/19/2008
I was smiling nealy this whole chapter as I read the boy's bantering. I felt like I was there with them. Brilliantly written.

I'm going to read the rest now - I just wanted to leave you with my first impressions of this fantastic story!
Ash8 chapter 7 . 7/19/2008
You have been a busy girl writing all that in between this one. But I'm really glad you had a chance to finish this one!. Great ending. Poor boys though - so much pain. I thought the dialogue here was spot on.

Thanks for sharing. :D
Muffy Morrigan chapter 7 . 7/19/2008
This is one of my favorites of all of yours! I love this story, and the ending was perfect, just wonderful! The action was fabulous, and I was holding my breath, waiting for Dean's heart to start. The boys were spot on and I loved their conversation at the end. Boy still reeling form the deal, Dean hurting-it was so perfectly season three Dean. But with all that, you gave us this

As his mind drifted off to sleep, Dean felt Sam’s fingers wrap around his arm and he knew.

Sam understood.

Five Impalas, freshly waxed, lovingly detailed by both Winchesters, a brand new "all metal" boxed set, two Costco size bags of M&Ms and seven cheeseburgers with fries
TammiTam chapter 6 . 7/4/2008
Sorry it took so long to read, but awesome update girl! Can't wait for more!
kooie chapter 6 . 6/9/2008
Thanks for sharing this story, its great, but I got a little lost with this:

Dean stopped again and pulled Sam’s head down closer to his own. “Do you remember what I told you?” (...) “I remember, Dean.”

“It’s still true and you still do.”

It's a beautiful scene but what did I miss? What did Dean tell Sam? Hope it's not a stupid question...
148 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »