Reviews for High Above
shywr1ter chapter 3 . 8/7/2010
Sorry to be the world's slowest reviewer, but I want to take the time to do it right - which usually means I fall asleep before pulling up FFN for a read & review! :P

As usual, there's so much to like! This has so many intimate, thoughtful moments in the middle of the hated virus standoff, and allows for continuing connection between M & L that the show nearly killed for us. Some of my favorite parts:

Throughout this chapter, the descriptions of surroundings and Logan's thoughts really paint a clear image of the darkened, almost-abandoned Needle, and it's all so effective, but it seems strongest when Logan tops the stairs and finds Alec there.

And the scene is so great: "If he felt uneasy in his role as Max's guardian..." I love this phrase because of my overly geeky writer-curiosity, especially for Alec in this part S2, and am curious if it was written to be from Logan's perspective, as he noted this first sign of anything more than self-absorption from Alec, or if it was from you as writer, in recognizing this as a first/early sign that Alec was more than he shows the world. It's cool too because it implies the perception of Alec, and not just Alec's actions. In a mere sentence fragment you've acknowledged a door opening to more. Nice!

"Without Zack's stoic predictability or Tinga's protective smile for Case, Alec reminded Logan of Max's deriding smartness early on, only that this time it couldn't be disarmed with a charming smile. Only that with Alec he couldn't see the softness underneath, couldn't find that stubborn, sentimental yearning for her siblings. With Alec, Logan had never see that irritating suaveness fail."

I really like the way you've presented Alec overall in the story, but especially in this chap, both in Logan's assessment of him and his own discomfort under Logan's gaze. A really nice touch was to have Logan reflect on the defining characteristics of Zack and Tinga to help him appraise Alec, and have him ultimately find that he is so similar to yet so different from Max - it seems that others hint that Max and Alec have a lot of similarities, but no one has really explored it as you have. Doing so through Logan's POV is just perfect. In just a few sentences you conveyed so much!

"More subtly, Alec's cynic nonchalance had something that made Logan uncomfortably aware of his abilities, of the assignments and missions he must have gone through to become so assimilated to the outside." And of course, this - leave it to Logan (though your eyes!) to catch on to the implications of Alec' ease... plus, it's a nice effect to have Logan start seeing into the real Alec, and Alec uncomfortable when he senses just how perceptive Logan is!

"for the first time in weeks her delight over seeing him seemed to outweigh the fear… for the first time since she'd started to retreat there seemed to be a reason to believe that things would work out." So sad, again Logan has to wait until Max can't hold onto her usual defenses to know what's really going on with her - still, by now he ought to be used to it... :/

"Then his fingers slid into his pocket again, presenting the small milk carton he'd hastily grabbed as an afterthought before leaving the apartment, together with that last, half-melted chocolate bar he'd kept for special occasions." So sweet, and so Logan - and sad that it's "helpless" gesture (was that his description or yours? Interesting!) but it had just the meaning it should for Max... ;}

"Now finally it was just the two of them and simply sitting here felt like a truce in their new pattern of her running away and his attempts to make her stay." The *real* sign of hope for the future!

And the most beautiful part ... "Knowing better than to let go, he felt her hand on his, breaking the taboo. Hesitant at first, her grip became firm and confident, enclosing his hand as if she was making a promise, confirming a vow." I'm hoping it's the promise of that truce that seemed to bloom up there!

So glad you added this ... and feel free to do a whole new story so Lis' can get her smut! :D
Maia2 chapter 3 . 7/24/2010
And of course, Logan was missing. You did a wonderful insight into him.

Nodding his thanks, Logan turned around to the hidden maintenance ladder leading up to the roof, fleetingly wondering whether Alec's pride would accept some help with settling down. See, that? Excellent way of showing who he is. Even though he doesn't really know Alec, even though he's got every reason to hate him, he's thinking of ways to help him and is sensitive enough to know Alec would not welcome it. That's who Logan is.

The descriptions and parallels are beautiful. (there's a couple of typos/grammar errors that I am only pointing out because the rest is so wonderfully well written).

Thanks for a lovely story,

Maia.
jfg207 chapter 3 . 7/21/2010
This was great... A half-way caring Alec, who would have thunk it? Just out of Manticore, you showed a side of Alec that no one in the show, except later in the show, but not now.

And the comfort that Logan had caring for Max again after those three months that he was denied. Then the gloved hands bit, that was great... he had thought of it back then.

Can you not see a sequel to this?
Regalredstar chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
Excellent as always. I especially love the way you used the alternating viewpoints of the same scene to tell the story. I'm using the same type of idea in my current Dark Angel/V x-over and I only hope I can use it as effectively as you do here.

Well Done!

~Regal
Maia2 chapter 2 . 7/18/2010
Interesting story. Very good insights into both characters so far. The two of them have so much trouble dealing with their emotions. So much alike and yet so different. You did a good job there.

I'm guessing Logan will be next. Should be interesting.

Thanks for sharing,

Maia.
Griever11 chapter 3 . 7/18/2010
like like like like like like like like like like
Shy chapter 3 . 7/18/2010
Amazing! This is the perfect representation of M & L's angst-filled lives following the highs of Max's return and their reuniting, and the evil low of the virus. You have so many hauntingly beautiful images here I will need to reread again a couple times to come back with a real review that does it all justice.

The one image which really stood out for me, though, was the one in which you made the Penthouse, typically used as his sanctuary, with only occasional negative connotations that he's *hiding* there or that it represents his current limitations, a demanding taskmaster for the (EO) cause: "the Penthouse's wide glass fronts exposed him to the city day and night, its defective skyline a perpetual reminder of his responsibility. With the city in front of him and the ever-present whirring of his computers from behind, there was no escape from Eyes Only, no running away from those needing help."

Wow! Excellent! Not only a perfect description, but, I think, a previously unrecognized perspective on the place we normally see as his sanctuary. Big points for letting us see it with new eyes!
Ica44 chapter 3 . 7/18/2010
sigh So sad...

Stupid, stupid virus!

Very nice snapshot of Max & Logan.
Ica44 chapter 2 . 2/8/2010
Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the first two chapters of your fic and how I wish that there was more to it! Very nice Max angst, and a nice Alec perspective, too.
BlueAngel137 chapter 2 . 6/18/2008
This is so sad. But I'm glad in your story Alec isn't as superficial as they mostly showed him in S2. It's great to see that he's trying to help Max and can see through her facade.

My favorites (although there are a lot more wonderful parts in this):

-...Before, she just would have visited Logan, knowing that with him she could just forget everything for a few, precious hours of food and smiles …. but now she didn’t even have this comfort anymore. So Max had turned to her old sanctuary, the first signs of the shakes creeping up on her as she made her way up the stairs of the Space Needle. ...

(love the "hours of food and smiles" and the whole part reflects Max's sadness and hopelessness so well, beautiful!)

-...Right now, in a state in which reasonable knowledge didn’t matter, she despised Alec, simply because he was alive and Ben wasn’t, because he was going through life with such a nonchalant ease that was the very opposite of the dark, pondering seriousness that made things so hard for Ben. Alec had fooled her into trusting him, had tried to kill Logan, had known of the virus and hadn’t warned her: he had…. ...

(Ah, this is so great - how you creep into Max's had and show us WHY she is so pissed off at Alec.)

-...It was because she’d allowed herself to relax and soften up towards him for a second that his question hit her so hard.

“Nobody else who could have a bottle?”

Logan… ...

(Somehow my little romantic heart just loves the idea that for Max, as much as she tries to avoid thinking of him, it all comes back to Logan in the end. ;-))

You did a great job writing Alec. THANKS. Can't wait for the next update.
Babyangel86 chapter 2 . 6/13/2008
I like the two takes on the same situation. you've really managed to capture max and alec's metality...

eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Brian2008 chapter 2 . 6/11/2008
I really enjoy fanfics like this one that explore the personalities and motivations of the characters in greater depth than the TV series was able to do. I'm looking forward to seeing how this story turns out.
Lexicon chapter 2 . 6/11/2008
Very well written. I'm just getting into this show but the characters seem to be true to what I've seen so far. Can't wait to read more.
Mockingbyrd chapter 2 . 6/10/2008
Good so far. I like the emotion. Try to make the chapters longer if you can. UPDATE SOON! Cheers
Griever chapter 2 . 6/10/2008
SUCH A PLEASANT SURPRISE !

:D :D :D

So beautifully written, dark, and moody and angsty... So perfectly S2. Or as perfect as S2 should have been ...

My favourite part HAS to be this:

'...she despised Alec, simply because he was alive and Ben wasn’t, because he was going through life with such a nonchalant ease that was the very opposite of the dark, pondering seriousness that made things so hard for Ben. Alec had fooled her into trusting him, had tried to kill Logan, had known of the virus and hadn’t warned her'

Despising him because he was going through life the same way SHE had been going through it before being recaptured.

Beautiful...