|Reviews for Mulch|
| Adi88 chapter 1 . 4/25/2008
So, so late. Bad deep inside. But hey, your Mimi-made present goes in the mail on Monday - that has to make up for something, right? And I’m on the other. Or it’s on me. My mind. I’m working on it, is the point. And also on catching up with reviews, to which I shall now attend and stop babbling.
“River put her foot forward. Leaves crunched.”
- I love that opening so much. Partially because I like leaves, particularly dead autumn ones, but also because it’s the perfect intro - reminiscent of the stick-cracking bit in “Objects”, which gets us into the dream-place, but also yours. And leaves are a good bit of what makes mulch up, so, yes. Perfect.
“They were movin’ slow, taffy-soft and dreamlike.”
- And that, too. So poetic and the touches of Firefly-accent and, for some reason, the taffy. Really adore the taffy in there. Somehow more everyday than you look to see. It’d be a luxury for them, though, which… such a childhood, and then to all of this.
I love the picture, Kaylee’s hair on the leaves, her in makeup and Inara without. And Inara being upside down from a tree, which is too lovely…
Oh, and god, how everyone says River but it comes out Meimei, and then Simon gets to say Meimei right and then says it and River comes out without matching. Even her name… S’tough to not be gotten.
River’s word-reversal games, too. Lovely and symbolic and perfect. Familiar things in a different order.
“There wasn’t any path, and she had to go through some of the trunks because they were too close together.”
- Just because it’s lovely.
“Just tell us.”
- Ay, with the teeth, and almost-repetition of Inara’s “I’m a big girl, just tell me.” It’s so… creepy. Although, in an odd way, not as much so as Zoe in her funeral dress with “But we’ll find it eventually.” Which is just oddly threatening, when my picture of her here is so comforting.
Dinosaur!Wash’s “I vote it’s between her toes. I keep most of my layers there” is too much win for words. Really, I cannot possibly say. And it’s so damn funny, but then, “She walked backwards and away. Breathing shallow, shuddering, terrified.” And if it’s unnerving River, it is me…
“Figure the best place to not find mulch is up high. Air gets scarce, slows down the rotting process.”
- Lovely. They have a thing. He gets to not look, in a deliberate kind of way that doesn’t mean he actually doesn’t think they’re there… I mean, no avoiding something that’s not there to be avoided, but close enough, yeah? He almost gets her.
“Hold still. I can just about see it.”
- I adore that. Mother Hen Simon; I can so see him getting a bur or something out of her hair it’s uncanny. I default to it every time, and then remember he’s mulch-seeking.
“It’s part of the natural cycle. People have layers, hiding secrets and feelings. Everything buried under something else until it’s all just mulch and turning to earth.”
- I do adore that so. Pretty… and yes. Everyone but River, who is all there on the top because she doesn’t hide things, can’t hide things. Not on purpose. The first thing into her head, all the time, and she can’t not feel a thing…
“I’ll get your mulch back, Meimei.”
- That and “I’ll find it” - just so beautifully poignant. Especially the fairy-taleness of it, like River’s mulch is something out there to be found, setting the kingdom to rights again… But the practical aspect of it too, that he knows it’s gone and just wants to make new, make her better. Only since this is her Simon, her dream version, she sees him as sort of Quixotic, set on a fairy-tale ending…
“Maybe you will, if you unlearn some parts first.”
- Oh, t’hurts. He knows her as she was before, and keeps trying to get it back, but this is her now. All of her.
| RionaEire chapter 1 . 3/2/2008
Interesting. Full of surreal imagery and pertanent to the series. The only thing not surreal was dinosaur Wash, that was just semi-comical. I think you have talent. If you keep River touched in the wits then I'll keep reading what you have to say. It really is a bit reminiscent of the dream/hollucinagenic experience at the start of Objects in Space which was quite a good episode.
Continue your work, I'd like to see what you'll fashion with the ingredients you have.
| WormholeXtreme chapter 1 . 2/27/2008
That was good. Captured the surrealness of River's usual dreams perfectly. And best of all not a single spelling error something fairly uncommon.