Reviews for Beginning
Squeeze-the-Fish chapter 1 . 3/6/2009
I loved this and the imagery you used was wonderful, I too felt like I was being taken on a tour of a place I’ve known and loved, a place that was ancient and timeless and you created the mood very well. This was great and you did a good job of capturing Nanaki. (His cubs were cute too).

-Cedar
Moiranne Rose chapter 1 . 9/30/2008
Hey,

I saw you were requesting feedback for this story on GA. So I decided to review! Yay, I'm so nice :)

So, feedback. Let's start with some "Umm...sorry what?" and then we'll have the "OMG, I like that!"

I'd have liked to see more of Nanaki talking and observing, which might make the whole omniscient point-of-view more subjective. Would be nice if more of it was centred on what Nanaki sees the cubs doing and saying, or maybe one of the cubs, but not all of them. It makes it lack the fuller character of one.

But onto the nice bits, the part where you get cookies and I ramble:

1) Chocolate Chip Cookie - The cute-ness of the cubs.

2) Macadamia Nut Cookie - The description of "Midgar", concise and vivid.

3) Double Chocolate Cookie - The fact that it's in present tense, it's almost like I'm there with them.

4) M&M Cookie - The "immortality" of Nanaki. No wonder he understands humans so well. "Two-legged creatures" :)

5) Peanut Butter - The last line. It was really nice, though I expected it, but it was really poignant. Made me want to play the game again...

Yay, that's it I guess,

Moira from GA
Rosa Heartlily chapter 1 . 8/27/2008
I really enjoyed this. Nice build up - it's short but not rushed. Great description of the relationship between Nanaki and his cubs.
Aardy chapter 1 . 7/9/2008
This is a very pretty little piece of fanfiction. It's great that you choose to use the rather under-looked character that many seem to disregard. Nanaki is a very intriguing beast and you've kept true to his intelligent and calm nature, almost flipping the word 'beast' on its head. The way your short story shows the 'beasts' running through the remains of the city and recollecting on the extinct humans is a lot more poignant than I first expected it to be. The way he talks of the humans as a race that built mega cities like Midgar but inevitably destroyed it really makes you ask the question, "Which race are really the beasts?"

The story is short but it is neatly written with descriptive phrases and words that really paint a vivid picture in my, somewhat televisually-imagination-murdered, mind. The playful cubs really show how innocent and primitive they really are, even though they are highly intelligent.

I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the good work.

Aardy.
Ardwynna Morrigu chapter 1 . 3/2/2008
There's a beautiful sense of quiet connection here. Nanaki seems so sure of himself in contrast with his cubs, clearly grown and capable of handling his responsibilities. The cubs are lovely, for what is shown, children to anyone who sees them, even with four legs. It's a good one-shot, not a dramatic 'passing of the torch' just yet, but rather the beginnings of awareness of a legacy.
SorainaSkye chapter 1 . 3/1/2008
I really like this idea. I can totally see Nanaki telling his cubs the story of his friends and of Sephiroth. His cubs are cute too!
Kaj-Nrig chapter 1 . 3/1/2008
A lot of repetition of nature words. It gets the message across quite soundly.

That said, I'm glad there are more stories centered around Red XI than there have been. His is an interesting character.

Not much to say here, because the story more or less explains itself. Good job.
LobstarMonstar chapter 1 . 2/29/2008
aww, so sad/happy! (yes it can be both)

don't forget about your other story "mercenaries", i'm waiting very patiently for an update! (i love your fics!)
With A Smile chapter 1 . 2/29/2008
Bah dun dun... another great fic from the great Pied Flycatcher! Well done, I love the way you described Nanaki's cubs- they do seem like they'd be the rambunctious and eager type, and Nanaki is spot-on character wise. It's sad to think of Gaia in 500 years when humans are no longer the dominant race and when Nanaki takes his cubs to visit Midgar. Beautiful job.
NRGburst chapter 1 . 2/29/2008
A lovely read, as usual. The cubs are adorable, and I enjoyed that sibling sniping. Well done!