Reviews for Winter Candles
Riel-mir chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
So sweet Faramir so worried. He is just a sensitive man. Eowyn is so strong will. I love them. Thank you.
azab chapter 1 . 1/17/2009
good one
Virtuella chapter 1 . 7/24/2008
This is a charming tale! Your style is smooth and elegant. Haven't we all fretted before for a loved one returning late? I particularly like it that Eowyn isn't sending anybody out into the bad weather to "give word". It makes a pleasant change form the habits of the gentry in Jane Austen novels, who always seem to chase their servants about the countryside in the storm and rain to give needless messages!
Jassmine de Blanc chapter 1 . 6/21/2008
My goodness, this story was fantastic! Faramir is so caring and tender here, I can only simpathyze with his worries! Loved your Eowyn as well, very in character! And Elboron was so sweet! (of course he is, he's Faramir's son!)

Eowyn's evocation of her home in Edoras was really touching, and the atmosphere in the prince's house in Emyn Arnen was very well described!

I also loved the dynamics between Faramir and Eowyn, and Faramir's last line almost brought tears to my eyes! So THANK YOU for a most wonderful story! :)

Jass a.k.a. The Little Dwarf (on LJ)
An Aspiring Author chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
what a wonderful story! it is very cute and well written!
Deandra chapter 1 . 4/1/2008
Very charming piece, with some especially lovely bits:

Husband, you fear for me when I come late from the gardens to the Hall for supper. (what a worrywort!)

“Pick the candles you deem are best for the occasion, as many as are needed.” (nice touch that after Grima's stinginess he unhesitatingly let's her have whatever she wishes)

Since I know you are serious authoress (and quite accomplished), I pass on these comments: (I'm putting my remarks in cap lock so they will be more obvious)

The old *mansaid* hastily

her hair and *cloakwet* and

IF YOU EDIT IN DOC MANAGER, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN EXTRA BLANK SPACE. IT WILL "LOOK" WRONG, BUT FFN TAKES OUT THE EXTRA SPACE SO IT WILL END UP RIGHT. IF YOU DON'T DO THAT, IT WILL SQUISH WORDS ON YOU LIKE IN THOSE TWO EXAMPLES ABOVE.

She has not yet returned; Faramir fretted, twisting his wedding ring again.

“’Tis not you I mistrust,” he said; “but the hardship and danger that could befall you.”

I'M NOT SURE YOU'RE ALWAYS USING THE SEMICOLON CORRECTLY. THE FIRST ONE IS RIGHT - IT IS SEPARATING TWO DISTINCT BUT RELATED PHRASES/SENTENCES. THE SECOND ONE PROBABLY SHOULD BE A COMMA INSTEAD.

Faramir declared gladly: “We cannot forget the sorrows

SOMETIMES YOU USED A COLON AS A LEAD-IN TO DIALOGUE. I THINK THAT CAN IN FACT ACTUALLY BE DONE AND CONSIDERED CORRECT, BUT YOU SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THAT AND USING A COMMA, AND I'M NOT SURE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO MIX THE TWO STYLES.

Hope that helps. And I rather agree with another reviewer. This piece almost feels like it could easily be part of a larger work, if you were so inclined to show us some of the "tales within the tale" that are mentioned (Faramir routing the orc nest, Eowyn at the chandler's shop, etc.).

- Deandra
Jen Lewis chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
O, very nice. One of Eowyn's sentences seemed a bit out of place because it doesn't match the syntax of the other ones, but I don't think it would be a bad thing to leave as is. The arguing between them was very well done. Overall, me loves it!
StefaniaB chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
This gentle vignette only left me wanting more. "Winter Candles" seems almost a prelude of more great stories to come.

You hint at some dramatic incidents, such as Faramir and the White Company's clearing out of a nest of orcs. I'd love to see you dramatize this. Or how about showing us more of Eowyn's memories of living in Meduseld while Grima held sway.

- Steff
JuliaAurelia chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
Very sweet F/E story!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 3/2/2008
Eowyn is a lady with a will of her own which Faramir will have to accept. I would like the mint candle. Very well written and true to life.
Celebne chapter 1 . 3/2/2008
I loved this story. It fits very well to this stormy, rainy sunday evening in Germany.