Reviews for Wherefore Ducks? And Other Stories
Redblade chapter 15 . 11/29/2010
I am in awe of your awesome writing. Awestruck. Overawed. Whatever appropriate awe-related adjectives come to mind.

I just read The Truth a couple of days ago, and couldn't help but wonder about Vimes' thoughts, opinions and all that, since it was the only DW book I can remember reading that features all the characteristics of a Watch novel without having Sam as the main character.

Your fic filled that side up perfectly. Very Pratchettian, and incredibly entertaining. The note from mr Scrope's mum just about cracked me up. xD (I can imagine how Vetinari just entered the office and kept Looking at the man 'til he ran home in panic, hid in the cellar and refused to come out.)
aotearoan chapter 1 . 11/2/2010
This is fantastic writing. Very funny, very Pratchett. Thank you for this, i look forward to continuing!
Mariagoner chapter 15 . 2/18/2010
This was brilliantly written overall and a wonderful companion to The Truth. I loved the running joke with Sybil as well! Great work.
Mariagoner chapter 8 . 2/18/2010
It's AMAZING how you manage to both write so much like Pratchett and yet, put such a fun slant on his already brilliant work. Every piece of the original story moves like clock-work in this fic. Brilliant!
cklammer chapter 15 . 8/31/2009
Nice - but difficult to on account of the way the foot notes are grouped together randomly in the text.

A very nice effort.
Kyle chapter 1 . 9/10/2008
Great story! I liked each chapter. Made me read The Truth again afterwards, too.
adele4 chapter 15 . 6/30/2008
This. Is so very awesome and I love it!

Favourite quotes from chapter 13 and 14 (some of them, anyway):

If Vimes had been a geometrician, he would have pointed out that this was not a valid argument. As it was, he merely fumed.

plots to get Vetinari off the... wooden chair?

said Vimes, seven metaphorical levels down

“That’s what -he- said!” (*sudden need to read Vimes/de Worde slash*)

The zombie looked like hell. Which made sense, but still.

(a) As it happened, yes. (I mean, de Worde's question was really lame, but this footnote suddenly makes it so much funnier!)

I love the part with the trousers of time, about how easily Vimes could have acted differently.

The part in which Vetinari wakes up is great too, with the whole "Hitting Things Over The Head To Humorously Right Their Problems" (yes!), and in character Vimes-Vetinari interaction is the best thing ever, so I loved that too! And -everything- about Slant!
Virtuella chapter 15 . 6/24/2008
Well done, you, I really enjoyed this. Particularly the antropomorphic personifications of Narrative Convenience, Plot etc. And I was glad, of course, to meet Vetinari at last. He certainly talked the talk.
Rainstorm Amaya Arianrhod chapter 15 . 6/23/2008
Firstly: my heartfelt apologies for the fact that I haven't reviewed for- well, ages. I'm afraid I can only plead exams. I had three batches one after the other spanning a couple of months, and finding the time to review as well as write hasn't been easy. Mostly, I failed.

It's getting hard to think of what to say in these reviews, too, because you just keep getting it right. It's funny, it's clever and the sentences taken from The Truth fit in perfectly with your own invention. I think possibly my favourite bits in these last two chapters were Sybil and Vimes as seen by dark light, and your characterisation of Narrative Convenience and the Machina from Whence Deus Ex. Igor was pretty wonderful too. The Epilogue, cousin or otherwise, brought things to a very neat conclusion, reminiscent of the canon but not too similar. The only thing I would point out is that in the epilogue, you made anyway anyways. Typo, probably.

I look forward to whatever you write next, be it as epic as this project or a plain one-shot. :)

NoOneImportant chapter 15 . 6/23/2008
Excellent read. Youve gotten the characters down extremly well.

Just a small thing though: is Commander Vimes really THAT bloodthirsty? ;-)
Rachel chapter 15 . 6/23/2008
I loved, loved, LOVED this story. Thank you so much! Lord Vetinari's concussion was handled beautifully - it was so perfect that an injury which would have had a normal person babbling and uninhibited merely forced him into reading almost-out-loud :) It was hard for me to imagine how you would handle Vetinari having lost any personal control, it seems so antithetical to his character (he has on occasion lost control of situations, but never of himself) but you pulled it off wonderfully! And your Vimes rings true, and the epilogue was hilarious. Bravo!
Twist chapter 13 . 6/14/2008
Wel if it's info on how people with concussions act, then I can tell you my personal experience, all of which has been related to me by family because I have no memory of at least a 10-hour span.

So 1) I asked the same 7 questions about a billion times for oh, 4 hours maybe? on roughly a five-minute loop. I didn't recall that I'd asked the questions before until about 3 hours after the accident, but even when I started to be aware that I'd asked those questions already, I still couldn't remember the answers, so I would ask again, but be really embarassed about it. 2) I got really excited that I could still read/speak Spanish. I was afraid all my years of learning got knocked out of me hahaha. 3) I was concious almost the entire time, except for maybe 10 seconds after I got knocked in the head. 4) I talked way, way more than I usually do, about random stuff when I wasn't asking above 7 questions. My cousin had a similar experience, and he told his parents all about the first time he had sex, which of course they hadn't known about. He did not remember doing so minutes later. Both my cousin and I had mild/moderate concussions. I would imagine that a severe concussion, which I'm assuming poor Lucky got based on how long he was out (which of course might have been due to exhaustion) would be a lot worse, probably with nasuea and vomiting on top of it. Remember: WebMD is there when you have random medical questions!

I cannot help you beyond that hahaha. I look forward to what you come up with. Don't eat strange berries at camp, and avoid spiders!
Twist chapter 13 . 6/9/2008
Reading this makes me want to re-read The Truth, and then I remember that I hate Sacharissa so much that that will never happen. XD So this is the best option ever for me! Waiting, as usual, on the next chapter, especially because I sense income Happy Concussion Fun Times hahahaha.
Virtuella chapter 12 . 6/2/2008
Yay, I've finally caught up!

A couple of chapters in the middle (8 and 9, I think), were less carefully written than the rest, but then it picked up again. I particularly enjoyed the scene in the doggy parlour.
Virtuella chapter 7 . 5/30/2008
Still reading it, still enjoying it. Love this sentence:

"There was a pregnant pause. Like all pregnant pauses, it gave birth to more pauses, each more embarrassing than the rest. "