Reviews for Taking Sights
KuMardagg chapter 8 . 4/24/2008
This has been a great chapter.

Rei's reaction to her new potential is very peculiar, but it makes perfect sense. Her entire life and sense of self and purpose has just been flipped upside down. Very insightful.

The concept of denying SEELE the Angel Cores is an interesting one! Without the S2s there would be no EVA production models, I never thought of that. Very insightful!

It would be nice if Gendo could find someway to harness the S2s for the NERV EVAs, but he's no scientist...

Unless... he incorporates a brutal cannibalistic regimen into the pilots' melee training? "From now on, you shall endeavor to destroy any Angel's core by devouring it." Heheheh.

The relationship between Gendo and Fuyutsuki is hilarious as always.

Rei answering the phone and being mistaken for a machine made me laugh out loud. Asuka's reaction and explanation was a tiny little bit redundant, though.

Three Sociopaths & An Extrovert was a great scene. The discomfort was palpable.

The Talk between Gendo and Shinji was the shining moment of this chapter. I thought Gendo might have been going OOC and turning into mushy crap, but NO! The Bastard is alive and kicking like Bruce Lee! It was amazing. Holy crap, what a manipulative bastard prick. Can't stop the manipulation long enough to give his son an honest positive word.

The rest of the story is good enough to keep me coming back, but the depths of Gendo's bastardliness is what makes this story shine.

Can't wait for the next chapter.
cevgar chapter 8 . 4/24/2008
This fic just keeps getting better and better. It is fics like these that make it worth browsing all the junk accumulates.

Notes

Rei moonlights as an answering machine... BWA-HAHA! Oh, lordy, that was perfect! And to think it only took, what 15 years for someone to come up with that gag. Wow, thats kinda sad. Heehee, Katsuragi is cheap.

Screw Gendo's rather accurate analysis. Disturbingly accurate. I'd have Shinji run into Hikari anyway. Or maybe Kodama. Sure, Kodama can be that girl making out at the all night movie theatre. Ok, so probably not. The points Gendo made were, Shinji needs some sort of support, a reason to pilot, something to hold him to Tokyo 3, and it needs to be male. If we are aiming to avoid OCs that leaves the stooges, Kaji's still in Germany and ... yeah, him. Excluding males obviously tied to Nerv. Argument against: Shinji isn't likely to open up to any of these people without knowing them for a while. Even with the stooges, the original bonding point was guilt over Mari getting hurt.

We have a far larger selection of females to choose from to keep Shinji in town long enough for the angel to show up. There's the "We've both been betrayed by the same man" angle with Rei, the "You are the only person I know and I need someone to talk to" with Hikari (or the "OMG classmate-kun, you look adorably awful, and as class-rep it is my duty to take you home with me"), Misato and Ritsu are both probably no go, "Shit happens, get over it" with jaded high schooler Kodama, or your choice of "too cute to disappoint" or "bratty but disgustingly wise" younger sisters with Nozomi or Mari respectively. Mari gets bonus points for being used as something other than as the pilot of unit 15 some 10 years down the road, and unfortunately, being the link point for Shinji to befriend the stooges. Oh yeah, he could also stick around to prove that bitchy girl from the phone wrong. Since it is the same basic angle as Mari's We'd rather leave Asuka out of it though.

Seeing how the fic is going though, I'm pretty sure I'll be plesantly surprised by whatever happens. So far, this fic has been good like that. I went back and added the "so far" modifier since few promising fics survive Asuka's arrival.

General suggestions: While she was barely more of a character than Aoba, Maya was awesome and needs some love. LOVE dammit! Or maybe just some screen time. Unless that eats away at screen time Hikari would get. As we all know, the more screen time Hikari gets as an actual character, the less likely the fic becomes S/A.

Whats this? No fic suggestions in this chapter? Seemed a little silly anyways. There are far too many "good old" eva fics to keep track of. Worst of all, they tend to be on private pages that get lost. By the way, what are your plans for Mana? Shireasuhikiana? Ugh. The name, much like the harem itself, is rarely improved by indiscriminate additions.
NefCanuck chapter 7 . 4/23/2008
Interesting tweaks, always wondered what would happen if Shinji had just a bit more backbone when dealing with the red headed typhoon that is Asuka ;)

Will read the next chapter ASAP
Tribun chapter 8 . 4/23/2008
Ok, that's a very interesting story.

Oh, and Gendo obviously screwed up royally with Shinji. However, he did achive something. Shinji stood his man for the first time by hitting his father. Him getting the courage to do so is also good for him, even if the reason for it was less nice.

Asuka thinking that Rei was the answering machine. Gods, that was funny! :D She will get quite a surprise when meeting Rei.

Oh, you mentioned that the spare clones copied Rei's appearance. Where did you get this concept? I ask because I think I was the first to use it in a fic.

Ah, you mean they caught Sandalphon, the 8th Angel, since they knew where to find him (in the volcano), right? They couldn't have caught Ramiel, the true 5th Angel because:

a)they had no idea where to find it

and b)that thing is truely dangerous.

So could you please correct this error?

Your story concept is truely interesting.
Death 12 chapter 8 . 4/23/2008
"You're the one who's screwing her, Ikari."

"I never said she wasn't fun." - I laughed.

Overall, another good chapter, waiting to see where you end up taking this.
DarklightZERO chapter 8 . 4/23/2008
Ah Gendo you've screwed things up. Not just with Shinji, but with Rei. You have just told her that the very purpose which she was created and raised for is now no longer valid.

These screw ups do fit the fact that Gendo doesn't really have an idea of how the whole thing fell apart. He doesn't relise that Asuka was apart of the whole downward spiral.

All I can say writing wise is: good work.

However when you say you have captured the 5th angel... do you mean Sandalphon (as he/she is the eighth) or have they caught Ramiel in his pre-birth stage?

Until next time, Farewell.

P.S. Stop saying that you are going to screw everyone, its Evangelion. Of course everyone gets screwed over.
Universalperson chapter 8 . 4/23/2008
So where does Kaworu fit in with that couple?

Sad Rei is sad. :-(
Lord Edric chapter 7 . 4/14/2008
you know i think gendo was being too nice in the being but then again, dying and going back in time can rattle anyone, you should be careful about that screwing everyone bit, after all we've seen what happens when everyone gets screwed, an ending that destroys the world and all shreds of sanity
Eliar chapter 7 . 4/14/2008
A very good story so far. I do wonder where you intend to take all this so I can only wait for the next chapter
Ranchoth chapter 7 . 4/12/2008
Hey, good stuff here, as per the course.

But, uh...a word of advice?

Setting up a "what if"/"setting things right" Evangelion story, and then a few chapters in, ominously (albeit jovially) noting that "everyone's going to get screwed in this story" *might* start scaring off readers (especially one who're wary of getting their hopes up, and then horribly dashed. This IS Eva we're talking about, here. ;) ).
lord Mordred chapter 6 . 4/9/2008
this was one of the best gendo fics I have ever read! keep up the good work!
Johnny-on-the-spot chapter 6 . 4/9/2008
WOW! this is good, don't stop...please
Eliar chapter 6 . 4/7/2008
very good so far and I dont think I have ever seen a gendo back in time story please do go on
Relrin chapter 6 . 4/5/2008
You have done a very good job with this story so far.
NefCanuck chapter 6 . 4/1/2008
"Like Batman he can make anything funny"? ROFL! That has to be the *funniest* description of Gendo Ikari I've ever heard anyone use :)

Well written this chapter, nice to see though that you haven't toned down some of Misato's err less than admirable traits (She'd get kicked out of even "old school" NASCAR the way she drives :D)

AWAiting next chapter eagerly