Reviews for Taking Sights
KuMardagg chapter 3 . 3/19/2008
Gendo, you unrepentant BASTARD!

This is going great. I was worried that Papa Ikari was going to become a warm-hearted milksop, taking Shinji to the park for a bit of the old throw-catch, but I see that a chance at redemption has only allowed him to reach an even deeper layer of manipulation.

The concept has been done to death, but I've never seen it from this angle. Looking forward to future chapters.

Just don't make Gendo glower over bridged fingers too much, ok? And he might consider an anti-reflective coat for his glasses, to avoid that overly cliche'd gleaming lenses effect. I hear it makes night-time driving better, too.
NefCanuck chapter 3 . 3/9/2008
Hrm... so Gendo is getting his chess pieces in order but unless I'm misreading the signs, it appears he wants a new "Queen" in place (I wonder how the current one will react to *that* LOL)

Shall await the next chapter eagerly
Itansha chapter 3 . 3/9/2008
I am not sure if others had pointed it out, but when i first look at your summary, I was thinking: "forget it... nothing interesting".

Then I decide to give it a try, and good thing I did. It was well written: Gendo still show his cunning side, but also attempt to create something better out of himself.

Most importantly, there was another one that also have a Gendo Redemption theme, called "Second chance at fatherhood". However it's nto so much as Gendo focus, but having a different version of the ep26. Furthermore, Gendo doesn't change much: others does, but not Gendo. In that way, it actually hit closer to Angelic days more then anything. Thus, this is actually good, in that it still focus on Gendo, and that he DOES change.
mastermage chapter 3 . 3/8/2008
I have to admit, the moment I read the name 'Gendo' in your summary, I was almost ready to skip the story over, but I'm sure glad I did not.

Your writing style is neither to fast nor to slow with just enough detail to create a scenery in your readers mind without distracting from the actual story.

As for the actual story...that may actually be a real gem you stumbled across. Making Gendo go back in time has never been done before, so I don't have anything to judge your work again. Nonetheless I believe you pulled it of splendidly so far.

You let us look into Gendo's psyche and changed his reactions in a way that is believable, while the core of his character stays mostly intact.

The little things like the smile he tried to pull off, which did not fit his face at all, went a long way in making that clear.

At the same time, these awkward deviations on Gendo's part are the first steeping stone for a change in him; A change that can either change him into a respectable human being...or an even bigger manipulative bastard that uses sweet talking instead of intimidation to get his way.

I can't wait to find out which way you will go, and so I demand MOAR!
Demon Evangelion chapter 3 . 3/7/2008
...Okay, I'll bite. This seems like an interesting idea so far, but Gendo getting a second chance and acting more humanly is still a new concept for this dumb schmuck (myself, just in case you thought I was refering to you)to fully get, but I'll keep up the optimism for now. Looking foward to your next update.
Bios13 chapter 3 . 3/7/2008
The brilliance continues.

I was actually concerned that you were going to simply restate everything from the series, but change some of the lines. Having Gendo and Misato personally visit Shinji was an unexpected twist that works out well. Their reunion seemed to go much better than the original, you know, with Gendo impersonating Zeus. Gendo offering reasons for not being around would probably give Shinji some serious closure concerning the situation. I suppose being warned about giant robots and horrible monsters would keep his ticker in good condition too.

Anyway, can't wait to see where this goes and I'm looking forward to the development. Gendo's slipping behavior (although still bastard-ish) should be expected with his newfound knowledge. I'm looking forward to seeing how Ritsuko reacts around Misato before eventually figuring out that there was nothing.

I have one more question. Is Gendo Ikari going to make conscious decisions to avoid making Shinji hate him. I'm referring to the single moment which completely shattered any hope in the anime and the manga, the Dummy Plug System. Also, are there going to be other characters consciously or subconsciously aware of the timeline being restarted. I've seen one or two where Kaworu (Tabris, The Angel of Free Will) is aware that certain events are playing to different notes so to speak.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. You're brilliant and I'm looking forward to your next update.
Cyber-Undead chapter 2 . 3/4/2008
Like others said, this is a good (and fresh) idea, and it does present with a bunch of opportunities for alterations.

Best of luck writing this. :-)
Bios13 chapter 2 . 3/3/2008
Absolutely Brilliant!

Please continue writing this story and don't let whatever information is driving you to disappear. The thought of Gendo making different decisions and different arrangements is truly intriguing. I'm guessing that something will be happening in the near future, I'm hoping his interactions with Shinji might change. This would obviously prompt Shinji to change and considering that Gendo can actually make a difference, give the Evangelions a tactical edge against the angels.

Update soon.
Lawless-one chapter 2 . 3/3/2008
wow this is starting to get good update soon
Largo chapter 2 . 3/3/2008
This is a new concept to the eva line. I have yet read a story that put Gendo in such a postion.

I hope you continue this fic. Its potental is great, and interesting.

You may spawn a new sub-group in eva fic with this fic.
DarklightZERO chapter 2 . 3/3/2008
A time-travel fic, but with a twist, It's Gendo instead of Shinji. (or any of the children, I found one where Asuka went back)

Has he finally got it into this thick head that Yui sacrificed herself to prevent third impact? Or will he fall back to his old plans?

However, this you should handle with care. Don't suddenly change Gendo's personality, instead let it change with time. Despite the time travel thing I think that Gendo is going to find it hard to become nice or something People's personalitys don't change overnight. One thing I like about Crazy-88's "Once More with Feeling" is that the "old Shinji" surfaces once every so often.

I will tell you one thing. You have peaked my interest. So I am going to add this to my story alert list.

Until next time, Farewell!

(adds story to story alert list)

Until next time, Fareweell
maneyan chapter 2 . 3/3/2008
Wow... I mean... just wow! What an idea! Seriously man, this is one of the most interesting ideas I've seen in... well... a heck of a long time. This is just the kind of things I love about this site, that sometimes people come up with ideas balancing between insane and brilliant.

The fact that it was exceptionally well-written was a nice bonus too. A brilliant idea, a good plot AND well-written. Keep it up!
372 | « Prev Page 1 .. 15 22 23 24 25