Reviews for DCU: Fan Mail
Jenicide24 chapter 12 . 7/25/2012
Bravo! very well written and entertaining. i always wondered about fan mail there ;)
DarkMousyRulezAll chapter 13 . 6/12/2012
XD lol Joker fan mail...interesting idea, but it turned out to be a great read!

:D thanks for writing this, I enjoyed it very much, as well as the writing style and the way you had the Joker so in character

I applaud
Limited-Fantasy chapter 13 . 5/13/2011
Agreed on Joker's manipulative skills being underplayed. I loved this fic mainly because it was just him answering (or not answering) mail and I found the way he pushed people to do illegal acts simply hilarious. I think my favourites were the Utah one and the Eastboro one.

One thing I do find odd about all of this is that it doesn't seem to occur to people that the Joker writing back to his fans might be a Very Bad Idea.
Sugary Snicket chapter 13 . 5/23/2010
God, what to say about this?

Chilling. Thought-provoking. Perfect. Wonderful. Splendid. Marvelous. Incredible.

This HAS to be one of THE best Joker fics I have EVER read. It's... it's all just so in character. It's all EXACTLY the response you'd expect the Joker to give. The epilogue made me shiver, especially at how poor Kenny reacted. Also, I was not aware there was a comic book interpretation of the Joker that had *purple* eyes. Green, but not purple. Nice touch.

But I mean, it was just PERFECT. This story is PERFECT. I cannot think of a better, more Joker-y tactic than *purposefully* playing to what the author of the letters wants - agreement and acceptance. It's exactly like a card game to him: "Oh, so you're a homophobic bigot?" he says; "Well, if you REALLY want me to play that hand..." It's perfect manipulation, a tactic the Joker uses *all the time*, but many authors seem to forget to include. It was so Joker that I could sense the results before anything even happened. And his lack of response to 'Genesis', again a perfect blow.

On your writing - stupendous. You have a LOT of talent and you can go very far - you're detailed, you're thorough, you're right inside the character's skulls. Everything a good author should be. Rest assured, I WILL be taking a look at some of your other stuff - you got any more Joker fics?
Valkyrien chapter 13 . 9/27/2009
I have to say, while reading this, the first mention of Genesis and my immediate thoughts were that if ignored she would be infinitely more destructive in her way than say, the would-be anarchist or the robbers of memorabilia because infatuation like that without recognition stales and hardens and lashes out at anything once at the very breaking point - not perhaps at anything directly targeted with purpose as for example the 'fag haters' who wanted a specific group to suffer. I had a sneaking suspicion that that was where you were going and when Mistah J didn't answer this fan was gratified beyond words that he'd played her the way I thought he would. I was laughing all the way at the seeming ignorance of the people around him. As you say, he is a master manipulator and he would turn to something like this in his boredom, methinks.

Well done!
Samantha chapter 13 . 9/22/2009
At first I thought the idea here was great but here's a little too much pretense in the Joker's responses for this fic to be enjoyable. Also, I thought it was obvious that his letters were sarcastic.

What redeemed it for me was the completely subtle way he handled Genesis. He somehow knew that not acknowledging her would be enough to set her off. That was awesome.

If the rest of the fic had gone in that direction I would have loved it. But I mainly skimmed through all the ridiculously long vocab and dribble to get to the meat of what he was trying to convince the fan to do.
AZ-woodbomb chapter 13 . 7/2/2009
This is brilliant. It’s funny and scary(largely because I feel mean for finding this funny, very authentic Joker feel to it) and full of insight into his methods. This would work perfectly in comic form.
My-Sanity-Went-B00m chapter 13 . 11/26/2008
To quote, though quite possibly more girlishly, Oh Goody! Joker mail, he really is quite the eloquent writer, isn't he?

I thought Chapter Four was the funniest, winter booties in his favorite colors.

I agree with you too, I always though the way the Joker thinks is scarier than what he does. Anyone can go out and kill people, not everyone can get other people to do it just by writing to them.

Sanity
andaere chapter 13 . 10/19/2008
I love this. I love that it's all bout the Joker and his ability to manipulate people. He can bend anyone to his own desires, and you really showed that well with this story. I love how it's written - prose to letters and then back to prose for the last chapter. And, I agree with /everything/ you said in your author's notes. The reason why The Joker is and will forever be Batman's arch-enemy is not just because he is insane or because he's killed a lot of people. It's because he's a genius, can manipulate anyone, and has nothing to lose. And that type of person is just really, really scary.

Great job. :)
Ironic Sun chapter 13 . 8/28/2008
This is such a clever fic. It explores the Joker's uncanny influence on people so well. His clever and subtle manipulations. I thought the Genesis story was especially good, and I thought it made a lot of sense that he didn't reply. It was a very smart attack. Loved this.
MochaCocaFan chapter 13 . 8/8/2008
Entertaining! It made me laugh.
Anne Ominous chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
I love these, and this chapter especially reminded me of the Colbert Report, the way that he's so obviously mocking in his take on their beliefs, but they're so self-righteous they take it as honesty.
DaggerPen chapter 13 . 6/12/2008
Okay, I'm back.

This really was excellent. I agree that the Joker's ability to manipulate people is rather under-represented in the comics, and I absolutely love your take on it. I really wish canon would do more with this.

The interesting thing is that Batman and co. never really entered into this- this was just the Joker screwing with random people for his own amusement. It's rare that you see the Joker really doing something that doesn't center around Batman or the occasional other superhero, but it really works this way.

I loved the nod to the Westboro Baptist nutjobs. It's interesting to see real-world people and phenomenon brought into the comics verse, and to see just how they'd play out in that world.

In that vein, it was also interesting to see the type of people who'd write to the Joker, and how they would view him- a comedy aficionado, a kindred spirit, the angel of death, etc. It was also neat to see the perspectives of the staff.

Nicely done.
DaggerPen chapter 7 . 6/11/2008
Hey- still working my way through this, but I figured that I'd go ahead and say now that this is great! I really love the way you capture the different voices of people through the letters- each one has its own distinct personality. In addition, I love the premise of this- it's very unique and very well done. I'm glad I discovered this.

Sorry for not writing more- it's nearly one AM where I am, so I may be just a little tired (I really should be going to bed soon...)

I'll write more when I finish reading!
LadyCraulnober chapter 1 . 5/28/2008
This has got to be my favorite, right here. I totally agree that Joker's intellect is sadly overlooked, but you've got a wonderful insight into the mind of th Ace of Knaves. I love how diobolical this is.