Reviews for Lex Talionis
CaptMacKenzie chapter 7 . 8/4/2011
I love your writing style! It suits the setting so well. I'm not all that into the Evo verse and only vaguely familiar w/it, so this Remy seems unusually bitter/immature, but I guess it's b/c he's so much younger in this 'verse than in comics. Still, it feels like it works, even to me. You're doing a superb job of putting us in his shoes, making his angst & heartbreak & turmoil poignantly real ... withOUT explicitly saying everything. Kudos! I hope you continue to work on this! I notice it's been several weeks ... and that you've only get out a chap. every 6 months on average! Here's hoping you'll change that tune ;)
scribblemyname chapter 7 . 7/10/2011
I get a bone-shudder feeling this is going to be bad, but it's dark and it's rich and it's absolutely awesome. I love a real Guild fic. Love, girl.
Hawaiichick chapter 7 . 6/26/2011
What a great chapter! Loved getting into Remy's head and knowing his doubts and fears and thoughts. I kind of wish Henri would show Remy a little more love, but I'm sure there are reasons for the distance. :( It's nice to see that at least one person is willing to speak up for Remy publicly. You go Emil! :)
ishandahalf chapter 7 . 6/25/2011
well, well, well! what have we here? delighted to see an update from you, as usual - although i have to admit, i might be a tad more delighted had this been 'i get by'... lol, i jest! anything from you is a gift, despite 'i get by' being this gnawing little worm that i just can't extract from my brain. eww, lovely image.

but yes, this fic has it's own special place in my heart as well. so tense, so dramatic... makes me so worried! i sorta wanted to reach through the screen and smack remy when he spoke up and volunteered, although i had the suspicion that was coming up. sigh. i guess all i can do is agree with emil's sentiment at the end, eh? yet, alas, i notice that the genre is labelled as 'tragedy', and that doesn't give me high hopes for poor remy... i guess i'll have to have faith in you until we see what happens next. ;)
Ace-of-Cyberspace13 chapter 6 . 2/21/2011
OMG! This is, like, really awesome! I love your use of big words! Awesometastical!

-Ace
ishandahalf chapter 6 . 2/21/2011
woo! as always, great to see an update from you. loving the remy uber-angst - tension with his family, lapin still taking care of him... the image of the jazz funeral is sort of awesome, with that juxtaposition of mourning and celebration. and now off to plan marius' death? nice. can't wait to see what develops. :)
Hawaiichick chapter 5 . 9/19/2010
Ah, so this is what is eating Remy up. Poor guy. Loved the scene at Etienne's grave. Makes it a bit more tragic to know that Etienne died so young and that Remy is being eaten up by guilt. Loved the last line...

"'Drink up, Et,' he murmurs, pouring a small measure of the bourbon over the tomb since it's all he can really think of to do. 'You'll need it. Jean-Luc's gonna be along real soon.'"
Hawaiichick chapter 3 . 9/19/2010
Interesting style for this chapter. I like it. It's a bit poetic. Really loved these sentences:

"War is war, be it in trenches or in back alleys. Casualties are casualties, be they on the battlefield or on city streets. Blood is blood, from Eden to New Orleans."

Beautifully written!
Hawaiichick chapter 2 . 9/19/2010
Loved the meeting between brothers and Mercy. I am dying to know what caused the "fallout" between Remy and his "family." I have some suspicions, but not sure it these are correct or not. For some reason, and it's probably clever and fantastic writing on your part, but I feel that the brothers really do love each other...deep down inside. They just both aren't willing to admit it to each other anymore. Something big must have happened between them...but what?
Hawaiichick chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
Don't know how I missed this story for so long...since I love your other stories. Wow, what an intense start. It's wonderful! Just love the emotions rolling off of Remy and the complex relationship he has with his brother and (now dead) father. It's really interesting and I can't wait to find out how you play this out.
ishandahalf chapter 5 . 8/20/2010
ooh, an update? ahh, it put a smile on my face to see something new. er, although i don't know if that's appropriate, considering this isn't much of a smiley fic, but whatever. as always, i enjoy your updates and can't wait for more. :)
scribblemyname chapter 5 . 8/19/2010
So I'm sitting here in gawping awe once again, loving this fic and bleeding with Remy. How you slap me so perfectly under his skin is beyond me.

small typo: It's while passing a couple restaurants he remembers that a some coffee,

Just some.

Oy. I love your writing. I wish I had your knowledge of New Orleans too. The city is a personality in this story and you just drown in it. :sighs: Love.
SassC HiJinx chapter 4 . 4/12/2009
So much angst and darkness going on here...I love it!

Seriously, the writing is spectacular and the mood you've set fit in perfectly with Remy's back story and character. And I love the literary references thrown in - brings me back to my former high school/college English classes. Any plans on updating soon?
vae chapter 4 . 3/19/2009
A really intriguing story; I'm excited to see where you're going with this. What I really want to thank you for is your brilliant writing! I honestly think this is the first fic I've read that's really minimized the accent-type. Many authors try their hand at it and end up in overkill mode (and it makes my eyes bleed). You've avoided the accent yet your Remy is more believable than most. I think a lot of it has to do with the "edge" that you have in the dialogue. I really love the flow of your writing; it's very organic. There're so many fics out there that could achieve this but then they delve into these long, unnecessary explanations... they don't know the power of subtlety.
Neurotic Temptress chapter 3 . 12/17/2008
The feud between the Theives and the Rippers sound very Romeo-and-Juliet-like. Warring families, too much blood and no understanding between them. I like the theme of revenge that you set at the very beginning of the chapter, and brought about to the very end.