Reviews for When the Evening Is Spread Out Against the Sky
Flying Tunamonger chapter 3 . 10/10/2017
How on earth did I miss this gem? Beautifully written and sad!
luvbug7554 chapter 3 . 5/31/2016
Again, a beautiful story of humanity, love, and how we are all programed. I really loved this series.

Sarah
sunneedee chapter 3 . 8/29/2013
This broke my little heart :(
kaykay.selvik chapter 3 . 5/27/2013
That was beautiful! Truly beautiful! A heartwarming and believable rendition of two wizards who in many ways are very central to the books, yet whom we never truly get to know.
reader chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
Out of the three stories, the second and third touched me the most. The second because I get the answer to the enigma behind dumbledore's trademark twinkling demeanor. The third because of the sorrowful yet victorious love. A wonderful effort to shine light on this (otherwise) secretive relationship. Thank you.
Shikiyamachi chapter 3 . 10/20/2010
Lovely ending. I could see this happening behind the scenes of the books; Gellert and Albus coming together after death in all their youthful glory. Your last chapter gave me a reason to be happy about both of their deaths, seeing that they get a happy ending.

I can’t really express how wonderful your story was, just that it made me cry, which is a good and bad thing all at the time. Just know that you made my days a whole lot brighter.

Thank you so much for this!
Tia Paes chapter 3 . 6/21/2010
This is just such a perfect story that my eyes are actually misting up. You really just did... such an excellent job. I love everything about it.

The tragic love between Dumbledore and Gellert is so much more profound than any other - in my opinion- in the books. I love that you didn't shy away from the topic but really delved into it. You explored how Gellert would act, think and speak while in prison and portrayed him as a tainted but undeniably sorrow filled man. Albus was perfect as well, even such simple things as his letters which weren't to long, nor to short, were just perfect. Voldy was spectacular in his cliche, predictable way and I couldn't help but laugh at the line, "Voldemort monologues incessantly," although my accompanying smile was mingled with a few tears.

You really just confirmed a lot of what I knew or felt about the characters which is why this is probably such a satisfying and emotional read for me. I don't pretend to understand why but the love between Albus and Gellert has always made more sense then any other love in the book. It isn't black and white, which is probably why I couldn't wrap my head around the other relationships as well.

I'm babbling but it's only because I love this so much! I just really enjoyed this. I will sleep well tonight :)
EhMa chapter 3 . 6/5/2010
I love your characterization of Grindelwald and your portrayal of his and Dumbledore's relationship. Their innocent love when they were teenagers to Gellert surrendering because of his love for Albus and then being tortured while in prison with monthly reprieves when Dumbledore visited him when they were just Gellert and Albus for a while more. It was well written though it makes me wish they could've stayed together from the beginning. Guess their love was meant to be more bittersweet, since this is canon. At least we know thanks to Frieda that the two were able to get their happily ever after in death. This was very nicely done.
Guest chapter 3 . 4/6/2010
I have nothing left to say. Thank you, for writing this.

PS: Dorian Gray is the most boring character, with the exception of Basil in the entire book! If anything, Gellert's definitely Lord Henry, with slender fingers and radically unorthodox ideas.
Expecting Rain chapter 3 . 4/4/2010
Aww, I love Wulfric and Grindelwald's concern for him.

Haha, I love Gellert's banter with Voldemort! Especially the "just who established..." part. And his advice to never invade Russia. And the denture-puppet.

I like how Frieda realizes that her decision to continue on with absolutes may not be the right decision. And I love the closing image, of Wulfric and Grindewald's smile.

I loved this whole trilogy. Thanks for writing it! :D
Expecting Rain chapter 2 . 4/4/2010
I love that the cat is ginger and that its name is Wulfric. And that it's "the only spark of color in the cell."

And I love your dialogue!
Expecting Rain chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
I like this line: "blow one's hair into elf knots and tangle one's thoughts together into nothingness."

So that's how Dumbledore got his chocolate frog card! Nice.

I really like how you've written imprisoned Gellert, especially "You're not evil. You're Albus." I love the whole conversation about good and evil, actually.

The last sentence is amazing.
Shally-wa chapter 3 . 12/16/2008
I just reread this story. Excellent. I like it even more now, since I've read the source of the titles.

Adorably sweet, all of it. Reminds me just why I love Grindeldore so much.
whitehound chapter 3 . 11/5/2008
Very nice, although I didn't quite understand the ending. Was it Gellert's corpse that was smiling? Or had the cat died and joined him in spirit?

In canon, I think the point was that Albus left the books on Horcruxes for Snape to find, but Hermione pinched them. There was no way he could know Hermione would steal them - and if Minerva hadn't happened to leave the window open, she wouldn't have done.

He couldn't tell Snape about them directly because if Tom ever saw in Snape's mind that he knew that *Albus* knew Tom had multiple Horcruxes, there was no way he could explain it away. That was the killer information which would prove which side he was really on, and doom him. But so long as he could always say "Dumbledore never said anything to make me think that he knew the nature of your immortality" then he could explain away everything else he had done as a ruse.

Typoes:

If you live the door open

oddly taught expression [should be "taut"]

“Come, Wuldric,”
whitehound chapter 2 . 11/5/2008
Gellert is right, of course. VOldemort is a psychopath - he doesn't have all the bits of the human kit. Gellert has all the bits, they're just put together a bit wrong. So he is more human than Tom is. But that makes him more responsible too, because he has at least some possibility of being better, and Tom never can be.

Typoes: "this facet of his personality would prove to" - what? The end of this sentence has gone walkabout.

"she Apparated to England" - Hogwarts is not in England, although I suppose she might touch down in England en route.

And Percy was nearly 21 at the time of the funeral - although I guess he might look younger.