Reviews for Aegri Somnia
Servatia chapter 10 . 3/24/2014
All right. I see what you did there.
So, two options: One, McCoy is being assimilated and hallucinating the whole thing. Two, this should be taken at face value.
Neither of these work out. It can hardly be just a hallucination, since we get scenes where McCoy is out of it. It can hardly be taken at face value, because McCoy had his dreams before they beamed down.
Two years ago I had pneumonia because I had an idiot doctor who told me I was exaggerating when I came with a laryngitis and the thing travelled one floor down. So I’ll take McCoy’s feeling that something horrible will happen as part of feeling really out of whack. I know I did. I seriously thought I would never be warm again. I can’t even begin to imagine what such a progressed, aggressive form of pneumonia would do to a person. And the dreams … well, he was out cold for a while and that can do things to your memory. Like replacing missing memories with something else. This entire thing is Bones’s perspective, mostly with him as mirror character except for where he’s out of it. So if we were to say that he recalls all this, perhaps at a later time, from what he experienced as well as what he was told (for where he was unconscious), then it would be entirely possible to remember a sense of foreboding or night terrors well before the actual event. I guess. I know someone with blunt force trauma who seriously believed she was abducted by criminals and ransomed. The criminals were an ambulance, as it were. That’s a lot weirder, and Spock actually doubts if Bones’s mind is intact. So maybe not entirely. His dream with the tube … well, it’s a reversal of how he rescued Spock with a nightmarish twist. This is actually how the human mind works, so I’m tempted to say this is actually a nightmare or vision while he’s in really bad shape and almost dying on M’Benga. Anyway, it’s nothing he hasn’t seen or heard on the ship for real, only changed. A dream. The title supports that theory: He’s very ill, and dreaming through his ordeal.
The only thing that freak’s me out is his ‘resistance would be futile’, which I don’t think was anywhere before, certainly not from Spock falling out of that tube. But then, it’s just a bloody phrase, you get it everywhere. In fact, I just refuse to believe that Bones has been assimilated. Bones and Spock, I should think. Oh God.
Well done, you had me hooked, and this is probably the longest review I’ve ever written and the greatest amount of analysis and thought I’ve ever dedicated to fanfiction. Or any fiction outside university, really. Thanks for writing!
A Vulcan's Kiss chapter 8 . 10/7/2013
(Re-review for Chapter 10)

So... they never made it out...

My God! What a way to end a story!

You're going to make me cry, dammit.

I wonder if after they were beamed to those rooms if they ever truly made it out... did they? Did they not?

Too much to ponder :(
A Vulcan's Kiss chapter 10 . 10/7/2013
I hope nothing bad is meant to happen in the future...
A Vulcan's Kiss chapter 6 . 10/7/2013
My goodness.

You're going to make me cry of happiness then sadness!

I just pray that McCoy's dreams don't come true!
mtcbones chapter 10 . 7/23/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
bee27 chapter 10 . 2/29/2012
Dude! Its the leap year today as well! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SPOCK AND BONES!
Weskers TARDIS chapter 10 . 1/27/2012
I really thought this was well written, suspenseful, and did a good job at emphasizing the whole Spock/McCoy thing. It would have been extremely more realistic and not-repulsive if the characters weren't written as awkward homosexuals. Trying to ignore that little detail, I'd say very, very well done, and rate it a 5/5. :)
Tiffany Park chapter 10 . 6/25/2010
Very interesting and bizarre story. I recognized the Borg in the very first chapter. *G*

I can't decide if you intended that McCoy just had some psychic dreams, or if he was hallucinating the whole thing while he was being assimilated. The Borg weren't quite in character (at least, not if they were intended to be the identity-less TNG Borg Collective; post-TNG versions of the Borg seemed to have varying senses of personal identity that made them seem less menacing), which only confused matters. Plus, if McCoy were simply hallucinating, why would the story shift at times to Spock's and Kirk's POV?

So very ambiguous. My inclination is that McCoy was hallucinating while being assimilated. Very depressing. Also very riveting. *G*

5/5 stars. *G*
milkywaymidnight chapter 10 . 6/22/2010
I really enjoyed this story all the way through! It has 'X Files' feel to it which I I love, and couldn't help thinking about as I read it. Great job! I loved the ending there. Even though it left me wondering.
Kaio chapter 10 . 5/7/2010
Great writing, I was trapped by this story! (hope this is the right phrase...)
It was not one of those typical slash-stories without a plot, this was so nice... i'm loving it!
I hope you will keep on writing... altough this comment comes a bit late.

Greetings from Germany.
The Buzz chapter 10 . 6/8/2009
This is wonderfully creepy, especially because the ending leaves me unsure of what really happened. While I want to go, "Yay! They made it back safe!" there's a part of me that can't help but wonder if they never escaped...which is rather unsettling.

Just out of curiosity, who or what is T'Prillah? I see it's in your penname, and mentioned in the story as well.

Anyway, good job overall. Keep writing!
Anon chapter 10 . 3/20/2009
this was creepy. Why don't your stories get more reviews. Your stories are great!
slashhack chapter 10 . 2/7/2009
this... was not a happy ending. very subtle, though, i like it. makes me wonder at which point they were assimilated, i'm thinking neither of them ever regained consciousness after being beamed up the first time, and the journey through the ship and everything after was a hallucination?

or maybe i'm reading too much into it, and they made it home safe (and mostly sound) after all?

in any event, nice work, i'm sorry to see you don't have more reviews. people are quite lazy, i suppose.

also: BORG! i love them, but i prefer TOS to TNG so fusing the two is wonderful.
Dairy chapter 1 . 12/9/2008
This is maybe the one fic labeled "horror" that actually managed to creep me out. Not even with just the dreams, but how desperate their situation was really hit home as well.

You write a really excellent Spock, and a really excellent McCoy, and the banter between the two is perfect. The progression seemed natural, and the ending was so sweet as well.

Fantastic stuff.
J. Rosemary Moss chapter 10 . 10/3/2008
Lisa,

This was wonderful! I don't remember seeing this on Spock-McCoy Haven, but I'm glad I found it here )

Ok, I'm a sucker for Spock and Bones being trapped on a planet together-but that doesn't change the fact that this was a marvelous and creative take on that scenario. Bones was perfectly in character, grousing to cover up his affection for Spock-and, of course, not managing to fool Spock in the least.

The revelatory scene-where we finally hear what Spock and McCoy have to say to each other-was just perfect! As was their bickering throughout the story. You put us on an emotional roller-coaster,of course, but I can't say I minded!

Well done-thanks for a great story!

Rose