Reviews for On the Wings of the Storm
Ilargi iluna chapter 2 . 3/10/2009
At last I found some time to read the whole story once again!

Ugh, I had a tough time trying to review it, you know? The web wouldn't let me because I had already reviewed a lot of the chapters, so I had to find one that was reviewless!heh!

Well, now that I've read it in one go, I can positively say that I love it (which I already suspected from earlier, but what can I say...)

Not only is the plot original and entertaining, but it is also very well written. The characters take on a very definite personality that allows you to plunge into the story from the very beginning. Even though I already knew what was to happen, once again I laughed when Eomer charmed his way though Aunt Irviniel, despaired in frustration when Lothíriel fled to Helm's Deep and smiled when she and Eomer made up. It's not everyday that a story (be it fanmade or original work) manages to accomplish that, so it should give you a measure of the quality of your work. Seriously, go for your original piece!

Lastly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer back in my own language, since it's not all that well known. It made me very happy XD

Grazia fitg

Grazie

Merci

Danke

Ilargi

PS: Wow, you sure have a lot of languages in Switzerland!
Saltwater chapter 31 . 3/6/2009
Ok well i read this a few days ago actually, but havent had the spare time to review yet. But i do now!

So. That was pretty much one of the most fantastic Lothiriel/Eomer stories ive ever read. (dont know how high a praise that actually is, having only recently gotten into this particular match... but it was FANTASTIC nonetheless)

It was so well written, SO well written! I'm very much in love with it! I like how you've captured Eomer, who is quickly becoming a favourite character of mine. I really think you balanced his temper and that harsher side of his personality well with and the softer, more charming view of him you gave us. He seems a very real, complicated and 3 dimensional character. Wonderful.

Lothiriel was good too, i liked that you gave her such a strength of character, even while she was also young and somewhat naive sometimes. It was a different kind of strength to Eowyn's, and i loved her more for it. Many writers, especially on this site, dont seem to understand that you dont necessarily need to be a sword wielding, feisty, hard talking woman desperate to escape your bonds of feminine duty to be a strong character, but you have proved this so so well in this story. She’s definitely a very admirable character.

This whole story is a very admirable story! Their relationship grows so NICELY! I just cant get over it, and the tension created because of Grima was… was… just, GOOD. I loved it. In fact, I think I liked the first half of this story a little more than the last half. Wormtongue is just such a WONDERFUL character for tension and drama, and I loved how loathsome you made him while very skilfully avoiding turning him into a flat character, a stereotypical villain.

I have to say though, after the battle at Helms Deep I felt the story start to pace down. Not necessarily in a bad way, but I felt it was beginning to lead towards the end at that point, and it was done so in a way that I was happy to let it (so long as we got to see Lothíriel and Eomer get back together first). I personally think it should have ended just after the scene in the forest. If you simply cut off every chapter after that it wouldn’t work of course, because that’s not the way you constructed it. But with a few changes to the structure, I think it would have worked better to end it somewhere there. I feel, as with the last story of yours that I read (though nowhere near to that level) that this story began to drag on. Just a little. The rest of the chapters just felt… unnecessary.

That’s the only pacing issue I think you had. You handle tension and war and awkwardness and love and hate and EVERYTHING so well, but when you get to the end its almost as if you just don’t want to let go of the story, even when it would benefit from a swift, decisive, ‘what will the future hold for them?’ kind of end.

But otherwise I think you have a wonderful grasp of what a story should be, and how we as readers want to hear it told.

…Except for one other thing, actually. :D Now this is definitely a preference thing, I KNOW this and im sorry but im gonna say it anyway. It’s just to do with your dialogue between Éomer and Lothíriel – but only after they decided that they were both in love with each other and were going to go ahead with the relationship. I found that they got a bit… romance-novelly on me. Those sweeping statements like;

“Hold me tight!”

“My beloved seabird on the wings of the storm… I will never let you go”

I don’t know. I just find them a bit… pretentious. They just don’t feel like they flow naturally from the lips, especially in moments as natural as when you realise you’re in love with someone else, or something. It feels (to me at least) like you’re trying too hard to show us a romance that you’ve already built to perfection, that already shines through their every movement towards each other, their every thought about each other. Like a perfect cake, spoiled by a too-rich layer of icing that it just doesn’t need.

Not that your story was spoiled by this or anything, but I did have a little cringe every now and then towards the end few chapters. I’m sorry. I know that others think statements like that are the epitome of romantic, and it’s probably just my natural cynicism shining through, but there you have it. I’m just not into that.

Oh well. Lets step away from my highly biased criticism and remind ourselves that I LOVE THIS STORY, despite what I just said. I wouldn’t have you change anything [else ;)] about it, and I desperately want you to write another one, damn it. Right now.

So… do it. Because you’re a very talented writer.

And thanks for writing this one so well.
A Girl Called Fabian chapter 31 . 3/3/2009
I just loved the whole story. This is fanfiction at it's best, and from now on I'll try to write as good as you do. There's nothing negative that I can say about this story, it's just fantastic! *
LadyElanor chapter 31 . 3/2/2009
"My beloved seabird, blown in on the wings of the storm"

My dear, that is an perfect ending to a perfect story.I admit I cried when I red that.I'm both sad and happy. Sad that the story ended,although it had to at some point, but happy that it was a real jewel to look upon.

I wish you the best of luck with your story-I have faith that the world you'll create will be wonderful to read. Also good luck in your new house-may the muse of creativity visit you regularly :)

Best regards
Deandra chapter 31 . 2/25/2009
Well, how nice! It's finally going to let me review this!

Nice closure to the tale, wrapping up the various threads and showing the hopefulness of their future, with time to plan, sew and expect to reap. And a lovely flirty scene with the choosing of the dress. Poor Ivorwen! [“Something easy to undo,” Éomer put in from his place on the bed.] Evil man! But, Lothiriel didn't seem to mind a bit.

Sorry to see this story end, it was so well done. Looking forward to whatever you come up with next. And further good wishes on the moving...

- Deandra
fruitloops was taken chapter 31 . 2/20/2009
So I totally forgot I hadn't reviewed this chapter. I just wanted to say I loved this one even more than the rest of your stories, though having to waiting agonizingly for each chapter may have something to do with that. Don't stay out of fanfiction for too long please!

Amanda
Gingham and Basil chapter 31 . 2/20/2009
How wonderful! What a great ending, truly. You reinforce my love of Eomer and give me reason to adore Lothiriel. ]

This has been a wonderful story, and i am so glad you persevered and completed it.

Please, continue writing-no matter what it is-and i really hope to one day read your own original stories!

Happy Writing!

-Gingham and Basil
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
I m just adding this outstanding story to my C2 list here.I prefer reading on SOA,but wish to recommend it.
Lonie chapter 31 . 2/18/2009
So sad.. THE story has ended.

What to do next haha! I'm sure I will follow your account and see what's next. Really good story, not the end I expected. But the last sense; My beloved seabird, blown in on the wings of the storm, really did it.

Succes in your new home.
Lady M28 chapter 31 . 2/18/2009
Ah, it’s over. *sniff* So sad, yet it was also quite perfect.

One thing I especially enjoyed was tying up the ends of the strands you began, even while also suggesting things will go forward and change. You’d already begun that a few chapters ago with Ceolwen, happy now that Erkenbrand is back with her, and Aethelstan, healed from his injuries and back with his patients. I can even see them perhaps adding to their family now that they have some time alone without the twins, Ceolwen & Erkenbrand, that is. One of the things that really made this story richer were all the OCs you created, and of course we as readers came to care about, and I’m glad you took the time to let the reader know how things would go with all of them. Some, of course got just a mention or a sentence, Wuffa & Wulf, I really loved that you revisited Wulfstan, I loved what you wrote about that scene. Knowing that Tondhere is going through with his plans. The aside about Aescwyn I loved, I had almost admonished you for including her in the last chapter but not bringing up Hama. I know I already knew about Beorngar’s new post, but it still made me smile to see it in print, and I still love the idea of him & Aeffe, he has always seemed like the ‘strong & silent’ type, which is a nice balance with Aeffe. I do think I like the idea of Leofe & Erchirion (this version) rather than Leofe & Amrothos, who seems not yet ready to marry. They’re both quieter, and I think she might end up taking up some of his more scholarly activities, which aren’t really something a Rohirric young person would likely pursue, or I like the idea of that. The idea that he’s been favorably compared to Elladan & Elrohir is definitely telling. I do wonder if the twins got to go to Minas Tirith for the wedding, I will presume they did, because I like that idea.

I just adore the garden idea. And the expanded Houses of Healing, which will of course also affect Aethelstan. Also the entire overarching theme of having time to this chapter. Not only with the garden plans, but also even with postponing the Yule Hunt. That wouldn’t have been possible the prior year; instead they had to hurry back to the Hornberg making what is likely an easy 3 day journey into a fast 2 day one, so the patrols wouldn’t be interrupted, or not much. Instead this year they can postpone till they have fairer weather with no consequence. That’s really huge, in all actuality. It’s not a returning to normal, living under threat had been normal most of Éomer’s life, it’s a new normal, and a lovely one. I like to think they could have a day for a hunt and another for all of them to be able to indulge in a bit of skating & fun. But I also really liked that you included that there is still sadness for everyone that lost someone, because this is also very true.

I had wondered how the fire would get lit, the two of them, but then I thought maybe it would be Éomer, Elfhelm & Erkenbrand. I can see that as being the male part of the ritual, and the serving of the Yule Cup the female.

Poor Lothíriel, she’s about to have to serve mead to all the men! Their nesting was a nice touch. I really loved the final line, oh so much.

Best wishes with the move, glad to know that the family is all healthy again. I look forward to your next story, whatever it might be.
utsuri chapter 31 . 2/17/2009
I'm not sure if I've reviewed before but I did come into the story rather late into the writing. I really have enjoyed reading it. It was beautifully written with an interesting twist to the plot. I especially love the first person pov and Lothiriel's character. I am going to have to start reading your older stories now and keep up with any new ones!
Sarry chapter 31 . 2/17/2009
Oh my god! i love your writing so much!i really really really look forward to seeing more of your stories in the future. Please keep writing and keep writing for this ship. great story!
Guest chapter 31 . 2/17/2009
A wonderful story, thank you.
iHedge chapter 31 . 2/17/2009
Oh, that was wonderful.

I... this is wonderful.

Congratulations on finishing, and good luck with moving.

Much love, appreciation, and anticipation,

iHedge
Remember 1105 chapter 31 . 2/17/2009
Aw, that was so good! I loved this story. Probably one of my top two favorites.

Good luck with the move. I hope all that goes well.

Have a good week! Take care! Until your next story comes out!

ever yours.