Reviews for The Last Straw
bob0045 chapter 8 . 4/1/2011
This was a really great story. I really enjoyed reading it, thank you.
Angie Tribeca chapter 8 . 8/11/2010
Well-written and entertaining.

I spotted a few bits that need editing, though.
jasadin chapter 8 . 1/30/2010
will you continue this with events after miranda? i really loved it
RionaEire chapter 8 . 4/1/2008
Still here and reading your work. After the amazing work by you in "Big Damn Rescue" I've become devoted to reading your stuff, as long as such action is suitable and River stays touched.

Interesting further speculations into Jayne's relatives though I'm sad that his mother died. All through the story I was hoping that there had been a mistake and when Mattie's scheme was revealed, I didn't see it coming, I thought that for sure Mattie was lying about the mother. Your manner of writing, sentence structure, etc. is always consistantly good and you always think of interesting twists that I don't see coming. I cried during the scene when Mal is remembering his mother and looking at the letters, very moving and it made an impression. The whole story made me ponder those whom I love, the need to spend much time with them and appreciate them. I particularly liked the closing passages in which Jayne has been sleeping on the porch and the garden where he has spent so many hard times in the past and where he carves his mother's name on a stone. I don't want to regret the way he does, I don't want to wish I had tried harder to spend time.

Best Wishes
Leven Kemal chapter 8 . 3/24/2008
Fantastic work. A clear-eyed grasp of the characters in a story lucidly told. Thanks for the great read.
teasers chapter 7 . 3/22/2008
Lovin the story! Thanks for updating so quickly!
writtenwordlover chapter 6 . 3/22/2008
Great chapter... This is definitely NOT a romanticized fluffy portrayal of the crew, (which many writers on here are guilty of). A flawed character with questionable honor is the Firefly way.

River's and Mal's ending conversation was perfect. I bet you have a copy of the longer script for Serenity.
Nadrek chapter 5 . 3/22/2008
An interesting fic. I wonder if Mal got a cut rate on a hitter from Badger, on account that everyone likes Inara (and Badger likes to think he's respectable)?

Jayne as a man who beat his child shows a despicable man. Jayne, assuming he only did so once, as is supported by the story, as a man who immediately gave his child to a known loving family and left in order to keep her safe is a man with a despicable lack of control, doing his best to compensate for his faults - but not a despicable man. As far as canon goes, I don't recall Jayne losing control in a similar manner. River might be able to help him, as well.

Jayne's having noticed Inara was beaten makes very much sense, at this time.

The money he sent home can't have been that little by Rim standards, particularly after some of the better heists.

Over, a much more engaging story than I expected, though I don't care for Mal's speeches in any fic, generally.
GillianRose chapter 5 . 3/21/2008
this is really good storytelling - I'm looking forward to reading more
writtenwordlover chapter 4 . 3/20/2008
Your characterizations and crew interactions are spot on. The Inara subplot is a totally believable scenario before she left Serenity. Jayne’s back-story is a real possibility and something Joss may have revealed if the series would have continued. And Mal feels like an ass, typical, after his wise crack to Inara, sad, but another example of his inability to meet her emotional needs even though he so desperately wants to be that special person in her life.

Nicely written, hopeful for more.
teasers chapter 4 . 3/20/2008
Holy cow what a great story! Can't wait to read more!
badkarma00 chapter 2 . 3/19/2008
This is a great tale so far, and I really like it. I hope you'll continue with it. Well done!