Reviews for A Deadly Challenge
Rat chapter 23 . 11/11/2014
Great story, I loved your writing and read it all at once. The plot was well thought out and I love Holmes reactions to the 'challenge' given him. Watson was brave and given the circumstances did as he could. They both felt very much in character for me. I love how you are subtle about things, though I would have liked more comfort and understanding on the part about Watson flinching at being touched, but Im sure that was what they were discussing at the end.
Sorry to read that your health was not so good while writing this, I hope you are feeling much better now. Cheers!
Rat
Animosh chapter 23 . 9/12/2013
beautiful story 3
ReadingPastMyBedtime chapter 15 . 3/24/2013
That low-down... evil...
I am now counting my blessings that I found this story after it was completed.
Find him, Holmes!
*Wants to hug Watson, but can't because it would only hurt him more.*
Amazing story, by the way!
*Anxiously clicks to the next chapter.*
Rairakku1234 chapter 23 . 3/1/2013
'Holmes was trembling with nervous energy. Watson was finally being released from the hospital. He was coming back home to Baker Street where he belonged. Mixed in with Holmes joy was a slight bit of fear. They had not discussed the kidnapping after Holmes had explained that Wilson had been behind it. Holmes still did not know the full details of Watson's imprisonment, and Watson did not know the full details of Holmes investigation. Neither one had seemed willing to bring up the subject again.'

How very british man this is. :)

'It was only when the clock chimed the quarter hour that Holmes snapped out of his reverie. He looked up to see that Watson had fallen fast asleep. Holmes also realised that while he had been playing, he had also been crying. He hoped that Watson had not noticed.
Would that really be such a terrible thing? Him knowing that you really do care for him? Holmes did not know. Considering all the horrors of these past two weeks, having Watson see him cry should be the least of his worries.'

Perfect beat.

"We were lucky," Holmes admited. "If they had not shown up when they had..." He quickly changed the subject. "What else do you remember?" Holmes prayed the memories did not include Thurston.
Watson shivered slightly. He did not want to give voice to all he had been through, but how could he deny Holmes after his friend had released his own demons.'

I love that you have them telling each other thier nightmares and deamons. Wonderful.

'Both Holmes and Watson were fast asleep on the couch, holding on to each other's hands.'

Great ending. I loved how you ended on Mrs. Hudson. Wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing,
Rairakku1234 chapter 22 . 3/1/2013
'Watson was asleep when Holmes entered the room. His wounds were cleaned and bandaged, and he almost looked peaceful. Holmes felt his heart sink a little. He had been hoping that Watson would be awake so that they could truly be reunited at last. That was going to have to wait a little bit longer. Very gently, so as not to wake him, Holmes leaned forward and lightly brushed the hair away from Watson's eyes. Watson flinched ever so slightly, but did not awaken.'

Oh wonderful.

'Holmes glanced down at the sling that cradled his arm and gave a weak smile. "Only a scratch, my dear fellow. You have had a far worse go of it than I."
The corners of Watson's mouth twitched slightly at the affectionate term. "You... look tired," he whispered. "You need sleep." It seemed as if he could only manage to say three words at a time before tiring himself.'

Oh fantstitic.

'When Mrs. Hudson re-entered the room, she found Sherlock Holmes fast asleep on the couch. Smiling, she set the tray she was carrying on the dinning table. She went into his bedroom and pulled the blanket off the bed. Returning to the sitting room, she gently covered him with it.'

Love it absoulutely love it.

'Watson nodded with a slightly puzzled expression. "Scotland Yard didn't think anything was suspicous about him. I had come to think that they had been right, and I was drawing conclusions when none were there," he coughed, and Holmes put a hand on his shoulder to steady him.'

How wonderfully self-deprecating you paint watson. And I love all the little touches in this chapter that shows how much Holmes cares.

'Watson did not answer him, and Holmes could tell from his slow even breathing that he had fallen asleep once more.
"Sleep well, my friend."

Beautiful,
Rairakku1234 chapter 21 . 3/1/2013
"Mr. Holmes!" Lestrade cried out as he took the stairs three at a time, nearly falling himself. He kept his revolver ready. If it was Wilson who rose, he would not remain standing for long. Lestrade was all too happy to save the state the trouble of hanging.'

I love this reaction of Lestrades. :)

'Then his thoughts snapped back to Watson.
"Watson! Where is he? Did Gregson-?"
"Yes, I'm sure he did," Lestrade said reassuringly. "Come on, now. We'll go to Charning Cross and meet up with them there."'

I really like how you portrayed Lestrade and Holmes here. Great

"He is going to need plenty of rest and lots of peace and quiet if he is to recover. No strenuous activities of any kind."
"May I see him?" Holmes asked, his voice hoarse. The doctor nodded.
"Keep it brief, though. He does need his rest."
"Of course." Holmes followed the doctor to Watson's room.'

Oh wonderful. So great.
Rairakku1234 chapter 20 . 3/1/2013
"...I had noticed, though, that you kept insulting Watson's reports, saying they were exaggerated and whatnot. So, as I said in my first meeting with you, I decided to see for myself how much was exaggeration. As I also mentioned in my first note, I suspected that having your partner's life in jeopardy might throw you off your rhythm a bit. Seeing that you were able to overcome that handicap, I believe you owe the doctor an apology. Your skills are everything he said and more."

Fantastic.

"Now, now, don't worry. You have suffered enough yourself. Your end will be quick now, I promise," Wilson said in a soothing tone. "Just close your eyes, Mr. Holmes. It is all over now."

Creepy and scary.

'Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson lay on the floor, huddled against the wall. Holmes' body was lying across Watson's, as if to shield him. The detective's shoulder was bleeding, and the doctor...
"Dear God," whispered Gregson, running over to them.
"Mr. Holmes, Dr. Watson, can you hear me?"

Amazing.

'Horrified, Lestrade ran down after them. Blood had begun to pool underneath their bodies, and neither of them were moving.'

AGGGHHHH! Another cliffy! hehehe wonderful chapter,
Rairakku1234 chapter 19 . 3/1/2013
'Holmes was still on his knees in front of Watson, as he had been before Wilson had fired at him. Holmes was determined to act as Watson's shield if need be. Now that he knew his friend was alive, he was going to do everything in his power to keep him that way.'

Wonderful.

"Why?" Holmes rasped. He could almost taste the blood-a metallic taste. "Why have you done this?" He did not want to give the revolver over to Wilson, but if he disobeyed, Wilson would kill both him and Watson. He will do that anyway. Which course of action would buy the most time?'

I love how he is paying for time.

'The way Wilson said that was enough to give Holmes chills. Just what is he planning to do now? Holmes swore to himself that if Wilson came any closer that he would fight back, injured shoulder or not. Of course, he can just kill us both from where he's standing now. Small as the room was, Holmes would not be able to cross the length of it in time to stop Wilson.
Damn you, Lestrade! Where in heaven's name are you?!'

Horrifyingly sad. So onderfully terrible.

"We'll certainly be in a lot less trouble than Dr. Watson and Mr. Holmes currently are," Lestrade pointed out. He did not want the blood of those two to be on his hands. Any amount of trouble he got into would be worth it if he could avoid that fate.
"You can stay here and wait for the warrant if you like, Gregson, but I'm going now."
Lestrade snatched the letter from Gregson's grasp and ran out the door. A few moments later, Gregson reluctantly joined him.'

Hashahaha Wonderful chapter ending.
Rairakku1234 chapter 18 . 3/1/2013
'He fingered the letter he had written to Scotland Yard. There was a blank space where the location of Wilson's hideout would go. Holmes snarled as he once again thought about Watson's journal entries. It was the Yard's fault that this was happening. Watson's blood should be on their hands for allowing Wilson to go free.'

The anger, the pain, the frustration. Wonderful.

'Please be the right address, please! Holmes prayed as he wrote the address down in his own notebook.'

Wonderful.

'To think that I have to put my life, and possibly Watson's, in the hands of a cabbie and Scotland Yard, Holmes thought to himself. If I cannot survive this, I pray to God that Lestrade and his associates can get here before Wilson can dispose of the evidence!'

This feels so amazingly canon Sherlock Holmes. Love it.

"Congratulations, Mr. Holmes. It appears the good Doctor did not exaggerate your abilities after all."
AHHHH! Evil terrifying cliffhanger,
Rairakku1234 chapter 17 . 3/1/2013
'Just above the sounds of his own hoarse screams he could barely make out his captor saying something, but what it was he could not tell, nor did he really care.'

Horrifying. Terrible. Frightening. Very well written.

'A fresh wave of despair washed over him, dapening the joy he had felt at actually seeing light in so long. If he had been moved then it would make it even harder for Holmes to find him. Just then the birds started in on their chorus again. Wait.. If he had been moved why did he still hear the birds? Their cries seemed to be coming from the same place, somewhere above him. But if he had not been moved, why had he not noticed any light through his blindfold before?'

Just wonderfully well written toture and despair. Fantastic.
Great chapter,
Rairakku1234 chapter 16 . 3/1/2013
'He went straight to the sitting room and began scattering papers about once more. The maps, where did that woman put the maps? "MRS. HUDSON!" As he turned around, he nearly collided with the woman herself. "Oh," he said, more calmly this time. "The maps, where did you put them?" Mrs. Hudson quietly went to his bookshelf and pulled them out. "Thank you," he said softly. He spread one of them out on the dinning table.'

Something about this section I really loved.

'The miners depended on those birds to test the oxygen level of mines, being sold sick birds put their lives at risk. It was the best idea he could come up with. He did not have much time available to formulate plans, but at the same time he needed to make sure he could come up with the best possible solutions he could.'

I love how you have showcased Holmes deductive ablities in the chapter and now this where he is using his ablity to disques himself. Just fantastic.

'Even if he was too late to save Watson, Wilson was going to rot in hell for what he did. He took out his notebook and began to write a letter. If he was to have even the slightest chance of succeeding, he would eventually have to break his silence to Scotland Yard. He would hold on to this letter until he was certain he needed it. Then, and only then would he send it.'

Such wonderful angst. Loved this chapter,
Rairakku1234 chapter 15 . 3/1/2013
"Wake up you fool!" Sharp steel sliced into Watson's leg just above the knee, bringing the dream to an abrupt halt. "Wha-what is it?" he rasped, his voice so hoarse he could barely hear it. It was not only the wide variety of wounds upon his person that felt inflamed, his throat also felt incredible sore. He was seized by the back of his neck and pulled into a sitting position.'

Oh absoulutely creepy. And Watson's nightmare fantastic.

'Strange how the bird calls never sounded cheerful, as Watson was accustomed to hearing, but more as if they were terrified. What could frighten them so? Why did they not fly away? Were they trapped here too? If he did manage to survive this, he would never be able to listen to the chirping of birds in the same way again.'

Loved this ending. Great Job,
Rairakku1234 chapter 14 . 3/1/2013
'Holmes' head was starting to hurt from his mind going in circles. He still did not have enough information to form theories with.'

Love this Holmes panic and concern in the first two paragraphs. Great.

'Perhaps you should turn him in, Holmes told himself. When Wilson challenged you to find Watson he laid down some ground rules. While he may not have planned on his lackey being captured, he did know that you would have to be aware of the fact you were being watched in order to make sure the rules were being followed to the letter. There was nothing stated in the rules in reguards to the capture of the lackey. You can always claim that this man had attempted to pick-pocket you and you were turning him in for stealing. Lestrade need not know the truth just yet.'

Again this section felt very Holmes. Love it

'Holmes gritted his teeth. Even if the address was nothing more than a safe house, he still might find some clues to get him closer to finding Watson. The address could even be the place where Watson was being held. Holmes had to go.'

The stress and anxiety is great without being over the top.

'FAIR ENOUGH STOP BUT YOU HAVE NOT WON YET STOP REGARDS BRYSON.'
Terrifying. Another great chapter,
Rairakku1234 chapter 12 . 3/1/2013
'For what felt like the first time since this whole nightmare started, Holmes allowed himself to feel an incredible sense of hope, even as it was marred with horror. He had a leada real honest to goodness lead that had not been planted by "Bryson", or as he was now revealed to be, Wilson. '

This opening feels very Sherlock Holmes.

"You won't know where he went off to, do you? I have a score to settle with him. My poor little niece was so upset, she refused to come out of her room for two whole days. I won't let nobody get away with hurting her, all right? I have no quarrel with you." And I certainly won't let anyone get away with hurting Watson, Holmes thought to himself, relieved that his act seemed to be working for the most part.'

Loved the conversation with this landlady. Nice light note but still moving things forward

'Holmes knew that he was taking a huge gamble by doing this, but it might be the only chance he had to save Watson. He pinned his now terrified prisoner to the wall, the barrel of the revolver pressed to the man's skull. "Tell me how you contact your boss with what you know and maybe I will let you walk away."'

Oh I liked threatening Holmes.
Great chapter
Rairakku1234 chapter 11 . 3/1/2013
'Watson groaned softly. How long had he been here by now anyway? It was starting to feel like forever. There was no real sense of time in this place, the blindfold kept him in constant darkness. He had no way of knowing if it was day or night, or how many days and nights had passed. The only sounds were the birds singing their demented chorus and the occasional and very faint train whistle which seemed to be mocking him. His left shoulder was burning, as if it had been doused in vitriol. '

Fantastic angst and pain. Feels very realistic.

'His captor got up and dragged Watson back to his old spot against the wall. He lightly ran his fingers through Watson's hair, lifting a few strands away from the scalp and twisting them between his fingers. "If you ever get out of here, you simply must send Mr. Paget a photo of yourself so he can draw you correctly next time." He laughed. "The key word, of course, is if."'

Hahahaha wonderfully creepy. Great chapter,