Reviews for Some Odd Convictions
SushiShisui chapter 1 . 7/12
Amazing...
SincerelyDandy chapter 1 . 10/16/2016
This story made me speechless. Well done!
king-of-sass chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
What an original and amazing story. The way you describe both Jiraya and Naruto is very, very interesting. Really liked it 3
mndstjohn chapter 1 . 10/14/2013
Good job!
Guest chapter 1 . 4/27/2013
I love this a lot!
piefaced chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
this is a gorgeous, gorgeous character study on naruto and his relationship with jiraiya. it's complex and interesting and heart breaking and hurts and heals in equal measures. i love how you've layered each sentence with meanings upon meanings, and how it encapsulates all of naruto and jiraiya who seem simple unless you look deeper. i love how naruto learns better orally, and retains information when it's about the people in history as opposed to the landmarks and places of history - once you wrote it in, it's just so obvious that naruto would learn like that.

i love your writing - it's an absolute joy to read and flows so rhythmically i trip from one paragraph to the next almost without even realising i'm at the end. the repetition of 'being for keeps' is a steady, uncertain prospect on the horizon that captures all of naruto's fear and fearlessness and i cried my way from paragraph to paragraph, especially when you mentioned the popsicle because then you realise what happens later and this is an achingly perfect story.
OnlyTimeWillTell chapter 1 . 4/20/2011
very very excellent. you have a very unique writing style that manages to use words with double meanings in a way that i never expected. it's really refreshing to just be able to read one sentence with so many ideas and meaning squished in there somehow, rather than having to fight my way through a paragraph of information to get to the point. and it's weird, becuase you don't seem to follow the traditional rules of "proper" writing, but you make up your own rules and almost purposely go against typical "english class" writing, and somehow it ends up so much more enjoyable and interesting of a writing style... like run-on sentences. but it WORKS! i don't think i've ever been this blown away from just the writing style. ha, and i haven't even mentioned the story itself yet.

on that note, the story was amazing. and at the end of it all, even though i'm not quite sure what really happened plot-wise, or what actually happened with the characters, but maybe that's why the story was so refreshing. it wasn't just about a plot. it was about details. the character's thoughts. snapshots. hopes and desires and messages. this truly is unlike anything i've ever read. ku-freaking-dos. idk what else to say... oh, yea, really good job keeping the pair in-character. i 3 jiraiya. yea, that's all i got.
Nothing Gold chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Oh wow, this story is brilliant and the characterisation is amazing - absolutely perfect. Naruto is still Naruto (complete with the excessive love of Ramen) even though he's maturing, and Jiraiya is...I really, really love Jiraiya in this.

Nothing really happens in this story, but Naruto grows so MUCH. I wish so very much that we had seen this in cannon, this sort of growth, this journey - but I don't think they'd have managed it so well as this.

I loved Naruto's (your) thoughts on Jiraiya and Tsunade and I love that Jiraiya gave him THE book.

Basically - I love this story. It flows so perfectly and is just such a pleasant read. I would love to see more stories like this.

So, sorry for my rambling review, but I just had to. This story deserves hundreds of readers and hundreds of reviews. Thanks for such a great read!
HeartsDragon chapter 1 . 2/8/2010
wow... i miss Jiraiya Q.Q

Great story! its really really good~ 3
gillian32 chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
beautifully written fic. great job!
prettypriestess chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
Oh, my gosh, I cannot believe how pretty (no, pretty's not quite the right word, something a little sharper, pretty like broken glass while you have no shoes, or pretty like the little pieces of your favorite ceramic decoration shattered on the floor) this fic is. It kind of hurts, and it's definite Naruto angst, but not in a way that seems misplaced with his usual cheer, or dramatized like so much fiction can so easily do.

I REALLY love the parts where it's sort-of hinted that Jiraiya's most definitely in love with Tsunade, and I absolutely adore the way Naruto's still kind of an idiot, but he still gets people. He gets how Jiraiya feels, and history clicks when he has faces to attach to it, and I cannot stop loving how Jiraiya, despite his highly deserved title of Ero-Sennin, and his status as a legendary ninja, feels like a writer at heart.

And the paragraph about him being a writer because he is afraid shot right through me, because oh man, is that a familiar feeling.

So, I keep almost-crying for how much it the fic hurts, but it's the kind of story that grits its teeth through the screaming agony and keeps moving.

And I love that a lot.
sillypanda chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
This was such an awesome oneshot. Your stories are the types that you have to lean in and really think about.

I like how you've portrayed the relationship between Naruto and Jiraiya; it seems so much more real than others that I've read and even the one in the manga, actually.

Sometimes I don't entirely understand what I'm reading, but maybe that's because you leave to interpretation or I'm not thinking enough. :P

Also, I can totally see Naruto learning history like that; not by the actual reading, but by listening to a good story.:D

I liked this line: "He wonders where he faltered against Sasuke and vows not to do so again. He does not consider that it is Sasuke who faltered against him."

I loved the part where Naruto is thinking about what ifs and weighty thoughts, because you showed him doing it without making him seem out of character.

I wish you would keep writing because you haven't in a while! But I'm sure you are very busy. :D
Ysabet chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Damn... EXCELLENT story; you've got the feel of the characters dead on. Very subtle and intriguing.
coeur de lyon chapter 1 . 10/31/2008
Hot damn but you're an amazing writer... that was awesome. Seriously.

My favourite part was the one about the whole fibres-of-his-being thing. That was beautiful. I love that you carried your ideas through the story, and let the words weave together in different ways to form like, a really... _real_ picture of Naruto (and his relationship with Jiraiya) instead of just randomly dumping them awkwardly in different places, and making the story completely lose its potency.

One thing though?

The final line - I get what you were doing, but it cuts very close to cheesy. Bah. But that's just me, and I couldn't pull something off anywhere near as fantastic as this anyways ;)

Great work
NoMoreThanProse chapter 1 . 10/9/2008
This is an absolutely gorgeous oneshot. I love how you've... deepened the characters, Jiraiya in particular.

Just lovely.

The repeated phrases, the quiet moments, the way everything just ties together... it's just beautiful.

Thank you for writing this and sorry for the dull review!