Reviews for Why
Melanie chapter 1 . 6/27/2013
I cried on this one. I love this story so much! I have a lot of family members who had died from cancer and this story just basically reminded me how bad cancer is and why we have to stop it. I love how you put religion in some of the stories you write regardless on what your other readers may think. You write what your heart says to write and that is a true Author. I hope the situations that have caused you to retire will go away soon and I hope you make it through this difficult time in your life. Prayers are being said for you!
Sharksbean chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
Not much to say on this other than thanks for writing it. I myself am a Catholic so i apprecciate this particular kind of thing more than most would. God Bless you Cap
continental-line chapter 1 . 6/17/2008
Sorry I haven't been around much but I lost a close member of my family to cancer the second Saterday of last May. I wish I had a Wade to help. As the eldest, I had paperwork, see to the funurel details. Other family members came from Singapore,the Philippines, and different states of the U.S..

Having a close (extented) family helps but it takes much longer to get everyone together.

I enjoyed your story and it touched a cord, which is is better than half the KP stories posted.
Jurnee Jakes chapter 1 . 4/4/2008
I've often found myself wondering if Kim, with all of her self confidence (bordering on arrogance at times) and her family of science heavy geniuses would rely on religion at all, as the only mention of it at all is Ron being Jewish. A touching short story that I hope to see more of in the future. )
Bubbahotek chapter 1 . 4/2/2008
Tough one to read. Sad to lose a loved one to cancer.

Bubba
Solarstone chapter 1 . 3/27/2008
I got really emotional when reading this. The last part with Ron leaving their bedroom, to only look back and see Kim in his mind's eye was just so bittersweet.
DrBeat chapter 1 . 3/26/2008
What a sweet story. And let me tell you, I really needed to hear something sweet just about now. I loved how Ron didn't lapse into some deep dark hole of depression.

~DrBeat
TinyTornado chapter 1 . 3/25/2008
Great Story, very touching, I myself Have never lost any family members to Cancer, but I lost my Grandfather to an Appendicitis that was not seen to. It can be hard at times, to loose a family member, but most recover and move on. (one of my friends father was lost to Cancer, but we can all rest to know that he is in Heaven, a much better place.)

I know of the story you mentioned.. I have it in my email box as well. I'll copy it here for those who have not read it.

Thanks capn for sharing this with all of us.

~Nairobe~

She jumped up as soon as she saw the surgeon come out of the operating room. She said:"How is my little boy ? Is he going to be all right ? When can I see him ?"

The surgeon said, "I'm sorry. We did all we could, but your boy didn't make it."

Sally said, "Why do little children get cancer ? Doesn't God

care any more ? Where were you, God, when my son needed you?" The surgeon asked, "Would you like some time alone with your son? One of the nurses will be out in a few minutes, before he's transported to the university."

Sally asked the nurse to stay with her while she said good bye

to son. She ran her fingers lovingly through his thick red curly hair. "Would you like a lock of his hair ?" the nurse asked.

Sally nodded yes. The nurse cut a lock of the boy's hair, put it in a plastic bag and handed it to Sally. The mother said, "It was Jimmy's idea to donate his body to

the University for Study. He said it might help somebody else. "I said no at first, but Jimmy said, 'Mom, I won't be using it after I die. Maybe it will help some other little boy spend one more day with his Mom." She went on, "My Jimmy had a heart of gold. Always thinking of someone else. Always wanting to help others if he could."

Sally walked out of Children's Mercy Hospital for the last time, after spending most of the last six months there. She put the bag with Jimmy's belongings on the seat beside her in the drive home was difficult. It was even harder to enter the empty house. She carried Jimmy's belongings, and the plastic bag with the lock of his hair to her son's room.

She started placing the model cars and other personal things back in his room exactly where he had always kept them.

She laid down across his bed and, hugging his pillow, cried herself to sleep.

It was around midnight when Sally awoke. Laying beside her on the bed was a folded letter. The letter said :

"Dear Mom, I know you're going to miss me; but don't think that I will ever forget you, or stop loving you, just 'cause I'm not around to say "I Love You". I will always love you, Mom, even more with each day. Someday we will see each other again. Until then, if you want to adopt a little boy so you won't be so lonely, that's okay with me. He can have my room and old stuff to play with. But, if you decide to get a girl instead, she probably wouldn't like the same things us boys do. You'll have to buy her dolls and stuff girls like, you know. Don't be sad thinking about me. This really is a neat place. Grandma and Grandpa met me as soon as I got here and showed me around some, but it will take a long time to see everything. The angels are so cool. I love to watch them fly. And, you know what? Jesus doesn't look like any of his pictures. Yet, when I saw Him, I knew it was Him. Jesus himself took me to see GOD ! And guess what, Mom ? I got to sit on God's knee and talk to Him, like I was somebody important. That's when I told Him that I wanted to write you a letter, to tell you good bye and everything. But I already knew that wasn't allowed. Well, you know what Mom ? God handed me some paper and His own personal pen to write you this letter. I think Gabriel is the name of the angel who is going to drop this letter off to you. God said for me to give you the answer to one of the questions you asked Him 'Where was He when I needed him ?' "God said He was in the same place with me, as when His son Jesus was on the cross. He was right there, as He always is with all His children. Oh, by the way, Mom, no one else can see what I've written except you! To everyone else this is just a blank piece of paper. Isn't that cool ? I have to give God His pen back now He needs it to write some more names in the Book of Life. Tonight I get to sit at the table with Jesus for supper.

I'm sure the food will be great. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I don't hurt anymore. The cancer is all gone. I'm glad because I couldn't stand that pain anymore and God couldn't stand to see me hurt so much,either. That's when He sent The Angel of Mercy to come get me. The Angel said I was a Special Delivery ! How about that?

Signed with Love from God, Jesus & Me.
Rye-bread chapter 1 . 3/25/2008
no need to apologise, my brother. There a who bunch of people who need stories like this

write on
ByrdDog66 chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
i to have lost my grandmother to cancer this story reminded me fo her . this story very well written and sad tolose someone you love so much like Ron did .
donalddeutsch chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
Thank you Captain, this brought back memories to me from a couple of years ago. I lost a brother to Cancer in 2006, and I know that I will see him again one day. Again thank you for the story, and keep up the great work.
JAKT chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
Cap,

Having buried everyone in my family, except my brother, many, many, many years ago, there are lots of emotions to deal with when someone close to you dies. But, there are five important steps that can help get people through this difficult time.

How do you cope with the loss of a loved one?

So, you’ve lost a spouse, mother, father, child or sibling and you’re feeling numb.

What you do next, in both the short term and the long term, will have a direct impact on your mental, physical and spiritual well being.

It can make the difference between long days of depression and a manageable lifestyle in the days and years ahead.

Cry For Your Loss

Don’t buy into the myth, especially if you’re a guy, that you have to act a certain way. It is natural to cry. And, listen to this: it is necessary to cry.

There’s an old expression that says that crying is pain leaving the body. There’s a lot of truth to that.

Talk About Your Loved One

There’s no lonelier feeling than the one in the pit of your stomach about a month after the funeral. It seems like that loved one is still very much in your life, tugging at your heart strings daily. But, it also seems like the rest of the world has gone on with the daily routine.

Find someone, a dear friend, who is comfortable with the conversation and talk about that person. It’s a necessary part of the grieving process. You want everyone to know the quirks of dear old dad and it’s really more for you than it is for them.

Honor the Memory of the Deceased

The dates on the calendar are tough. Birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, they all hurt, especially the first time around.

Especially during the first year, find a way to make them (or their memory) part of those special days. Eat at their favorite restaurant, buy a gift for a family member in their honor, do something that sparks an old memory.

Allow for Time to Heal

The frown won’t change in a second. It will take time. At first, when you remember your loved one, it’s going to hurt. Honoring them will help because it will help you feel like the memory is alive, even when the person is not.

At some later date, you will remember them with a smile and a fond memory. That happens at a different time for everyone.

Your time will come. But don’t try to rush it.

Think About Their Wishes

What would they want you to do? They probably wouldn’t want you sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. This will be hard in the beginning. But, as time begins to heal, think of ways to live your life that will honor the loved one. Being the best you can be, knowing that they are counting on you to do that will help. You can go on with your life and bring them with you. That’s what they’d want.

Cap…you hit all of these points right on with this little story. When you write from the heart you can never go wrong.

ja of jakt
mkusenagi2 chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
Thanks for writing this one. It reminded me of Kath.

MK2
Joe Stoppinghem chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
Very appropriate for this Easter weekend.

Touching, very touching indeed.

Thanks for all the great stories you've written on this site.
sparrowhawk63 chapter 1 . 3/23/2008
I'm fairly new to the "Kimmunity", only a few months, and already these people are no longer characters, they are friends. We glory in their victories, hurt with their losses, mourn in their passing.

You should never feel it necessary to ask forgiveness when you write form the heart, my Brother.

Happy Easter, and may the Lord be with you.