Reviews for Exit Strategy
ViolettBlack chapter 2 . 5/20/2014
Where is the part three which was supposed to be almost ready and will be out soon?
Please continue writing this story!
BerryEbilBunny chapter 2 . 5/13/2011
This story is amazing. There's no other way to describe it and I desperately want more. Yeah... more would be nice.
Beth chapter 2 . 7/30/2009
Exciting. More?
Jenaminya chapter 2 . 7/22/2009
You updated!

Aww, this chapter was great! And she just can't abandom Logan, can she? I really hope that they can get away... or maybe not *evil grin*

I hope you write more soon, please?

shywr1ter chapter 2 . 7/14/2009
Sorry it's taken so long - but it's great to see this continue.

"Except that right now he wasn’t hunting her, was he?" ... to ... "It dawned on her that Lydecker wasn’t combing the city looking for her this time, he was trying to track down Logan" to “I don’t think he’s just coming after me, I think he’s planning on coming after you through me. My guess is that he’s finally figured out that Eyes Only has 452’s home phone number.” - All this struck me; not really presented as ominous yet, but it quietly builds to make *really* suspect that I should worry about what's coming (well, that and your summary. but I like how this just steers what comes next...)

Nice debate inside of Max's head and outside, with Logan, about her getting out of town. Why does Logan ever think she'll leave him behind? Men! ;)

"Lydecker ... was ... making a very public spectacle of himself just to try and get a lead on one girl, a worthless ‘09er who could stay lost forever as far as she was concerned. Why would he risk something like that?" Interesting dynamic here, with Renfro not really caring all that much about Max or the escapees - or at least seeing the perspective of the loss of the whole project vs. the return of the prodigals. Different than the spin of the show (which was Max-centric, naturally) but much more logical!

And nice addition to canon with the Shooting Gallery - a great touch in a post-Pulse city like Seattle. Nice detail and aptly described - perfect for their needs and something Max of course would have found and considered a 'safe house' of sorts for moments like these!

Thanks for updating.
Alan Grey chapter 2 . 6/13/2009
I am going to start of by saying that I am totally savouring this story and hope to enjoy another instalment soon.

I have noticed that your whole story is based on Lydeckers strong belief that ‘Eyes Only’ would never do anything to put Max at risk and that includes exposing Manticore. As Renfro points out it is a dangerous gamble to take against somebody who could threaten them if provoked but has stayed clear of them otherwise. I have no doubt she and others would consider it an unnecessary/unacceptable risk and that Renfro is giving him just enough rope to hang himself. That said desperate men do desperate things and Lydecker is desperate to recover his ‘kids'.

Your portrayal of Renfro as the ice cool big picture villain seems in line with established cannon and sets her up against Logan while Lydeckers dam the torpedoes full speed ahead seems indicative of a man disregarding his military training and on the edge of control. I expect Lydecker to make several more serious mistakes which of course, makes him vulnerable to Renfro and her schemes.

I have a major problem with a man who has been hunted for a long time and had the best of the mob world (who like Lydecker know will stop at nothing and sometimes have considerable and impressive resources at their disposable) being found so quickly. If Logan was found quickly then it should be because he attempts to be seen as ‘just a cog’ in the machine and low level. This would then give him an advantage against those who think that’s all he is.

That said Logans biggest advantage has always been that people underestimate him for one reason or another. Lydecker probably will not do this but is becoming less and less a soldier as time goes on and less a threat.

I like the way the story develops and all your characters seem believable. I like the inclusion of Kendra and I suspect that her inclusion is not by accident.

I will mention that if Lydecker finds Logans apartment then somebody will likely connect Max to Jam Pony and once that happens her friends are endangered. Your story would then force Logan/Max to retrieve them or surrender themselves to Lydecker. It could also force Logan to expose Manticore despite his fears of Max’s safety due to Max’s fears of hurting her friends.

I assume that despite saying in the opening chapter that the story takes place between Pollo Loco and I am I am a camera this story will not fit straight between them and end up at the beginning of I am a Camera? I hope for a lot of M/L and possibly some Lydecker/Uncle Jonas interaction.

I like that you have included some background on the 09 X-5’s it just adds to the story in my opinion.

Love ‘Bene qui latuit bene vixit’ I agree that it is just the sort of thing Logan would know!

Your story has me abuzz with lots of ideas and plots. I look forward to the next instalment and hope for some much needed ML interaction.
Brina2468 chapter 2 . 6/13/2009
YEs! That was awesome! I can't wait for the next part!
Aurora2424 chapter 2 . 6/7/2009
I think this line from chapter one is the holy grail of Original Cindy lines: "The idea of you knockin’ boots with that pasty-faced Butterball turkey gave me the heebie-geebies." I feel this line sums up her character to a T.

Well, I love this update. Your style is always understated, lots of action, plenty of emotion, but you don't beat the sentimental drum, which is both appreciated and a sign of writing at its highest level. Everything from the Vicodin popped by Renfro, to Sandoval's self-preservation instincts is perfectly constructed, great details building toward a stronger whole. But I think its your Lydecker that deserves the most credit in this story. He's so eerily screwed up with no awareness of it that it makes the whole thing really fascinating to read.

And of course, the ML stuff is wonderful as always. To end, I have faith that a new chapter is forthcoming...can't wait!
Mari83 chapter 2 . 6/6/2009
I really like the idea of Lydecker tracking Logan and rereading all the cool details was fun.

“Still looking at Max, he unconsciously rubbed the back of his neck and said, “Well, this probably isn’t good.”

I can just see this, the understatement and the gesture:-)

"If he does find me, I can at least buy you some time.”

“I’m sorry, but did you become stupid when I wasn’t paying attention?”

“We can debate the meaning of literal hell later,” she interrupted.

It’s so classical DA how they discuss with all their stubbornness who’s allowed to sacrifice himself for saving the other.

"Except for Logan, who had taught her a few things himself. Since she had dropped into his life and landed ankle deep in his never ending crusade, he had taught her to look out for others and that sometimes you had to make a sacrifice to do what was right and he had taught her that there were things worth fighting for, not just running from. "

I like Max’s inner conflict, Lydecker’s lessons ingrained deeply (and even helpful for running) but realizing that by meeting Logan she has moved on.

It’s fun to read about all the details of both Max and Logan being so well prepared for escape situations, their bags and Max knowledge of the city, just proves how well they fit together.

"Lydecker might be intimidating, but Madame Renfro was downright terrifying; she didn’t live by a code like the colonel did."

In a way introducing Renfro at the end of S1 was part of the plot going downhill in S2, but here she’s perfect, using the potential of old vs. new villain and, what I like most, the conflicts and structures of Manticore.

It makes a lot of sense that over the years Lydecker’s obsession with finding the X5 no matter what less and less represented Manticore’s overall interests, allowing someone like Renfro, with a bigger pictures and no scruples to rise. It’s creepy but great how she points out the shortcoming of Lydecker’s actions and plans to use them for her own advantage.

"Well, let’s do something about that,” he said with another fatherly clap to the young man’s shoulder. “No loose ends, soldier!”

Hm, don’t know whether to find his jovial or Renfro’s cool creepiness more creepy.

"By the time Lydecker discovered that he had been misdirected to a brothel on Bainbridge Island, Max and Logan would be long gone."

Always love the fun details in your stories, here or with Kendra.

Love the idea and description of ‘Shooting Gallery’, how it is transformed into living space and how the Pulse made this kind of streets (very impressive to provincial foreigners;-) superfluous anyway.
zatl chapter 2 . 6/4/2009
Bene qui latuit bene vixit... I like that.

I like the way this story is headed.

update soon.
b l a c k r o s e 9 chapter 2 . 6/3/2009
this is looking to be an amazing story. very imaginitive, well written, well charcterized and well done. cant wait for more.
nattylovesu chapter 2 . 6/2/2009
hey happy pulse day (belated)

Always loved your writing style and lookin forward to more!
Brian2008 chapter 2 . 6/2/2009
I really enjoyed this chapter! It was rich in details with a great Season One feel to it.
BlueAngel137 chapter 2 . 6/2/2009
Ah, it's so good to see an update of this! Really, really one of my favorite unfinished stories! And boy, the chapter was EXCELLENT! As always, your characterizations are awesome, love your creepy Renfro and of course love your Lydecker - they're both just perfect. Kendra was fun to read and ... M/L ... sigh. Great job! :-)

Favorite parts:

-...“This is the best way; you know you can move faster without me. Just run.”

And even though Max didn’t want to admit it, part of her was tempted to listen to him.

(Always have an exit strategy!) Donald Lydecker’s barked orders always echoed through her head. They were profound lessons hammered into her head at an early age, the way most children learn to look both ways before they cross the street or to brush their teeth before they go to bed. She remembered the lectures, sitting ramrod straight and still, hands flat and motionless in front of her, while the colonel taught them how to hunt their enemy, the way the colonel now hunted her. She was trained by Lydecker, he guided all her decisions, he had taught her everything she knew.

Except for Logan, who had taught her a few things himself. Since she had dropped into his life and landed ankle deep in his never ending crusade, he had taught her to look out for others and that sometimes you had to make a sacrifice to do what was right and he had taught her that there were things worth fighting for, not just running from. And Lydedcker would never understand that…would he?

(I know this is a long quote, but I just LOVE this and the whole paragraph, Max's first instinct to run, and the things Logan taught her, contradicting Lydecker's lectures. So nice!)

-...It took a surprisingly short amount of time for Logan to lock down his apartment. Bugging out was a contingency that he had drilled for many times, and the efficiency of all his planning was only enhanced by Max, helping him and breathing down his neck and urging him to hurry it up and move his ass a little faster. ...

(Somehow I can imagine this scene very well.)

-...Kendra stumbled into the dark apartment with her new friend, giggling softly and tugging on clothing. Brett was a catch, alright. Or Brandon. Brian? Whatever, he was a great kisser and had an ass you could bounce a quarter off of. ...

(:-) Your Kendra is just too funny, good to have her lighten the mood after all the tension. ;-))

THANKS SO MUCH for continuing this story! YOU ROCK!

anatolealice chapter 2 . 6/1/2009
Awesome chapter, I can't wait to see what Max has planned. Loved the password - very Logan :-)

I can't believe that I forgot it was the day of the pulse until I saw all the fic updates in my inbox! Anytime now I guess :-)