Reviews for The Garden of Two Rivers
JadeOokami chapter 5 . 4/9/2010
I checked this story out after I read that other one-shot of yours. It was totally worth it. I liked it a lot. Especially how every chapter was from a different POV. I like the way you portrayed the PC, and the dialog in the story. Though there was one thing - when Wu said that Li had revealed that he was the emporer's brother, Zu automatically assumed it was Sun Li, though Wu didn't say so. That seemed a little strange to me, since it could have been Sun Kin, for all they knew.

But I liked it a lot! It was a fun read.
Veryfairygirl14 chapter 5 . 8/29/2009
after reading about Wu and Woo i fell the need to jump on my X-box and kill Gao the Greater all over again.
TheLostMinstrel chapter 5 . 8/19/2009
Umm aw. That's a really nicely done romance, and one that really makes it sound like a school, absolutely fantastic.
The Outlander chapter 5 . 4/10/2009
A feeling of storytelling? No kidding! The build-up to this was so phenomenal I stopped realising it was a game once until I had to fill in the gaps between the segments with my memory.

Actually, it took me quite a while before I saw the Jing Woo and Wu pairing coming. From the first chapter, I always believe he was going to end up with Kia Min for some reason. Probably because Wu is so elevated above all the rest she seems untouchable, concerning *every* single physical contact.

It was a balanced mixture of in-game things and created things, and that is where the charm lies, I think. You can dentify yourself with every character, but also with the events and surroundings. Besides, Gao rulez. Ruled, actually. But I loved him. Shame you didn't write down their battle, though. Could've been intense! But I'm guessing that's not really your style.

The ending sequence was tragic, but brilliant. Almost all the people we got to know so well were all exterminated (though I don't recall Kia Min actually dying). I got the feeling your Wu was quite Closed Fist. I like that. Evil women are exceptional, even though they're awesome.

I'm sad the story is finished. But... Yay! There's an epilogue! Lucky me, because GoTR is a brilliant piece of work, it truly is! Congratulations.
The Outlander chapter 4 . 4/4/2009
Whoa, so I'm finally coming round to reviewing this. Honestly, I don't know why it took me so long. GoTRhas been one of my all-time favourite fics ever since chapter 1.

I like what you did with Dawn Star. She seems to be someone whose words speak louder than her actions. She's much less shallow than she was in the game as well, and that's because we can follow her thought-patterns and feel what she feels.

I think she's about as kind a person as you can be, without being a total softie. And that's what appeals me the most about her. She's kind, loving, compassionate, but she always seems determined and straightforward. That makes her a very interesting character, and I think you really deepened her out. That's all you can wish for in a fanfic.

I also like the storylines a lot. It feels so real, you know. The whole thing with Jong Jin was only just mentioned once in the game, but you basically revolved an entire chapter around it. That shows you've got lots of imagination.

I pitied Dawn Star, though. She seemed to be lonely and misunderstood. Even her best friend, Wu, seems to prefer to spend time with others. But the fact Jong Yu berated her for trying to do the right thing, made me really pity her. I really felt better knowing that everything would be all right in the end.

Great chapter! If you were to ask me which one's the best... I honestly can't say.
kosmokomik chapter 3 . 11/23/2008
I like how you establish early on in the chapter that Master Li is doing a grand job of ignoring the rest of his students for the sake of training the Spirit Monk. Lin seems to be very torn between acknowledging the fact that Wu has some serious ass-kicking skills, and that she isn't being complimented for her own, personal progress. Which makes Master Li sound like the horrible teacher he must really have been, when you consider it.

Ahaha, and Lin's temper when she came to the school! Yes, I can see it quite clearly! XD

And Wu seems to grow ever more of a mystery, as she is seperated from the rest of the students and praised by Master Li as an example, while not allowed to form any deeper bonds with any other student than Dawn Star. Hmm. I like that, actually, because it's very subtle: Wu grows to be this enigma that the reader wants to crack, subconsciously, but also to let the other students speak.

M, and Gao talking... I swear, I can hear Nathan Fillion in my head. Very... Pleasant. ;D Also, how Gao is the only one who has this feeling that something is deeply wrong, but because of his arrogance and insults, the rest of the students won't listen, and he is simply dismissed while Master Li berates him.

Anyway, very good chapter, despite the pains it took for you to write it. Be proud of yourself!
The Outlander chapter 3 . 10/31/2008
I'm sure I used the word brilliant before, but I'll just use it again anyway: 'Brilliant'. There, I said it.

I'll be honest, my first thought when I would know that it'd be around Lin, I was a little bit sceptic. I thought we (the readers) didn't really know her well enough to really be interested by her and her perceptions of the school. But, I was wrong! I was fascinated from 'Most' until 'it'

Wow, you made the PERFECT Gao! He was dead-on! So funny, and so arrogant. He even got under my skin, I wanted to smash the computer screen just to get to him! So, definitely a valuable addition to the story. I can't until to read about his confrontation with Wu!

Lin's perspective showed us a new side of things. And I really loved the references to the previous chapters, like Kia Min sneaking away and such (and with Lin gossiping with Mrs. Jong about it). A great way of increasing excitement!

Lin struggling with what Gao said was very interesting and really deepened out the character! Good job on that. And I'm glad you didn't neglect the Jing Woo or Kia Min character. I was afraid that could happen, but you kept every single character interesting,

It was a long wait, but definitely worth it! I'm really interested to see how Dawn Star perceives the school in chapter 4.
The Outlander chapter 2 . 10/22/2008
I can't believe I've never reviewed the 2nd chapter before! Especially if you know that GOTR definitely belongs in my top-3 of all-time favourite ff-stories (even thought there are only 2 chapters, so go figure!)!

Anyway, I'm not sure I like Jing Woo a lot after chapter 2. It seems to me he's neglecting Kia Min, who in turn is doing all she can for Jing Woo. And all that while he is off enjoying superb training. But that might be a misinterpretation on my behalf. And he did offer Kia Min to come with him after all..

Ni Joh made a surprising appearance. It's really remarkable how good you are in bringing side-characters to life. I liked it how a reluctant Kia Min actually enjoyed her demonstrations. I'm curious to see how their relationship will develop and how it will affect her relationship with Jing Woo, Wu and the others... And I'm really looking forward to Gao, by the way! I'm certain he'll make your story even more interesting.

By the way, out of sheer interest, I watched your video blogs. It's a really good idea, and it seems a lot of fun to do. Perhaps I will do it too one day. Who knows?

Anyway, shame you haven't been able to finish/work on/start chapter 3, whatever it was. But it's good to know that one day or another, chapter 3 will come out. That's a comforting thought.

I'd really like to 'fanboy' (if that even is a verb) with you one day, you know Unfortunately, I don't know a damn thing about AIM or how it works. I installed it recently, but I barely use it, and I don't know if what I'm doing is correct... And then there's the damn timezone (mine is GMT 2...)

Anyways, keep up the good work, and if you're up for some fanboying one day, just let me know. I'm sure we can work something out :p
kosmokomik chapter 2 . 10/5/2008
Ah, I conquered my low attention span and finished it. And you know what? I love it. :D

What I really like is how you bring forth the daily life of Two Rivers and what it would have been like. There is no hint of the fear and worry that overwhelms like it does in the game, and Two Rivers is the classic peaceful home where our heroine grows up and shapes herself. I can feel this relaxed attitude they have to life, but that training is also the main reason that they all revolve around - that everything for them revolves around.

I liked Kia Min, and how she meets with the village boy. It seems to be very much like her - at least, from what you glimpsed of her in the game. Nonetheless, I think she's spot on.

Wu & Jing Woo is an interesting pairing that I also thought about - Jing Woo is so friendly in the beginning, and it's so sad when you see him die, as well (and not to mention the nightmare The Glorious Strategist gives the PC!), and I always felt that there was a close bond between PC & Jing Woo.

Anyway. I really liked it, as you might have guessed. ;)
luvondarox chapter 2 . 8/17/2008
This is a terrific story so far - I'd love to see more of it! The contrast between Wu's personality around Dawn Star/Jing Woo and Master Li is amazing, and deffinitely what I'd always imagined she'd behave. I like, too, how you chose to bring Kia Min out a little more - a lot of authors seem to gloss over the students at Two Rivers.

Keep up the good work!
Kitsilver chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
Nice one. Jing Woo wasn't given enough attention for me to know/care much about his character, so I like what you've done with him. Kia Min, Dawn Star, and Wu sound very much in character as well.

The dialogue and situations seem natural. Your descriptions are short and to the point, and I especially like the scene in the garden.

Your portrayal of Dawn Star and Wu is what I like best about this piece. Dawn Star's isolation despite her kind nature and Wu's isolation because of her skill and master's favor are realistic and presented well.
The Outlander chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
One word: "wow"!

An excellent story. I'm very, very impressed. You turned a less than mediocre character of the game into a guy with a story, a background, a character, etc.

Just one question: Where is Gao?