Reviews for The Leap
Jest'lyn Tal chapter 1 . 6/25/2014
*sighs happily*
I am working my way though all of your works and reveling in the lovely weaving you are doing. I've got a very /VERY/ dedicated Inklings-Friend who tends to eschew fan fiction (though he did write a Lewis/Tolkien discussion once) - I think even he'd love this.
So! Long story short - love your grasp of theology, love your knowledge of authors, and got to praise your literary talent for putting the two together. I don't watch Stargate: Atlantis and this was entertaining and logical.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/26/2013
Well, as a Czech I do find two (little) things that rather disturb me in your execution of the story...

First, I assume Radek had been reading a smuggled English copy of That Hideous Strength; I think it wasn't translated until after the Velvet Revolution, though other books by Lewis were. But Radek reading an obviously smuggled, suspect English book would probably have him more than busted; interrogated for sure.
I think Mere Christianity (in its Radio Talks incarnation) was published before 1948, because I did read a copy from around that time if I remember correctly; the first translations of Narnia were done unofficially before the fall of the Communism (I think in the 1980s, but I don't think they would have been in wide circulation then) and published officially after it. On the other hand, I do not have a way to trace any unofficial translations of other books; I only know about Narnia because I read an interview with the translator...

Second, ČCE would not be referred to as "Českobratrská". I should know; I'm a member. And adjectives ("českobratrská" is an adjective) are not that often used on their own in Czech. (They're probably used on their own most often when they apply to streets; I've never heard it used in connection to a church.) You could go with the full name "Českobratrská církev evangelická". You could call it simply ČCE. Or "evangelíci" - which really means "Protestants", but since ČCE unites several Protestant traditions, it works; churches are often referred to with the members descriptor in Czech (katolíci, husiti, baptisti...). Or, if you want somewhere in between those, "Čeští bratři". But Radek's probably right in assuming he'd fit there better (though with his kind of experience, maybe not) - it's a very intellectual church. Sometimes too much.

Though those are small things that just come out glaringly obvious to me personally. I like how the meetings here escalate, marking Rodney's spiritual journey (that's a horribly clichéd expression; I can't think of better), and how it all breaks down to a meeting with Jesus anyway. And I also like some little bits and remarks a lot. "No. He didn't." - that's a powerful one.
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
This was a beautiful story! Well done!
Maybe there are many different worlds out there, but they are all 'joined at God' like your friend said.
Jayim Duinara chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
Hello,

This was very interesting and well written.

Theologically, I see a few bumps (just cause I'm a theology nerd), but nothing that really prevents me from enjoying this.

It is a general rule that dead people and living people aren't supposed to speak to one another. We (living people) are forbidden to try speaking to them (dead people) or seeking them out. That doesn't mean it's impossible (King Saul, the witch of Endor, ghost of Samuel), or that it's always forbidden for THEM to talk to US (Moses and Elijah speaking with the Lord Jesus; Moses was dead, Elijah wasn't). So, I guess I give you a pass on this point. Rodney's not TRYING to contact the dead or using divination, so I guess he's clear.

I usually try to discourage people from having the Lord Jesus physically appear and audibly speak to people in fiction. Yes, He has appeared to people after His ascension (not the Stargate type of ascension, lol), namely the apostles Paul and John. Both of those recorded examples were rather major events, however. Yes, I believe He can still speak to people today. But, I'm personally very hesitant to write fiction about Him. My own grasp of His many attributes is so feeble, just trying to balance my view of His Justice and Mercy is difficult. He LOVES sinners, and HATES sin. I'm afraid of misrepresenting Him, just by omission if not commission. However, what you included in your story is absolutely correct: He loves us, He forgives us (if we ask Him), He has promised never to leave us or forsake us.

I always wished that someone could reach Rodney and show him that his science isn't enough. Thanks for making that happen. )
Dautr abr du Sundavar chapter 1 . 4/21/2010
Hm. Rodney a Christian. I think he needed it. Well, we all need it, but you know what I mean.

You're right, nobody talks about the scars from the thorns. I think we need to.
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 7/24/2008
It's a really great story!
MarieofIlledra chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
excellent! Very well written, I love the way you managed to combine the various denominations. Thanks for writing it!
Fyrloche chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
I found this story to be excellent. It is very well written. I know some people who would call it preachy but those are people who never want to hear anything along these lines. I suppose that it makes them uncomfortable with the choices they have made. I love the dogma quote and the Amdir/Estel analogy is beautiful. I look forward to more from you. P.S. - I hope that you get many favorable reviews. I wrote a faith based story, once upon a time, and it was well recieved. I only got one negative review. My story was nowhere near as involved as this one, though. Keep up the great work.