Reviews for Not Evil
Psychomech chapter 1 . 11/26/2008
I don't think this is a load of bollocks. If one understands Sylar, this makes sense and it does explain why Sylar isn't evil. Kinda.

In the wild, I doubt lions justify their killing to themselves. I doubt they feel guilt for it. They pick off the weakest of a herd because they're the easiest to catch and the lion needs to eat. Nature sets it up so that killing like this can benefit everybody involved in some way; otherwise a species would die, and there are a ton of species which have died for reasons such as this. The difference between Sylar and a lion is the same reason everybody hears about anybody doing bad things. Sylar is a human, he has a conscience, a soul, a sense of self... something I can't name right now. He can think about what he's doing, convince himself to do otherwise just as easily as he can convince himself to kill. That's what makes him evil in our minds, the knowledge that he can think about what he's doing from more than one perspective. The perspective he adopts, though, isn't a human one. He's merged animalism and humanity into something he can live with using Chandra Suresh as his catalyst for change.

Erm... yes, this is a review, not a public forum. Obviously I agree with this fic. There is, however, something in it that strikes me as unbelievable despite my agreement. It may indeed be the perspective you've used. There are just words that I wouldn't expect him to come out with.
optimistic girl94 chapter 1 . 4/11/2008
This is so very deep. I liked the one liners in between. Pure genious. You should continue writing. You have talent. And I see some points in here that make sense.
Tohokari-Steel chapter 1 . 3/30/2008
You're right. Sylar isn't evil, just a bit (highly exaggerated) insane.

Didn't you hear Mohinder in the episode Parasite? What Sylar does ISN'T evolution, it's MURDER. You're right, lions AREN'T called murderers when they kill zebras, but that's COMPLETELY different. You forgot that, when a lion takes over a pride (yes, they do that), they KILL OFF the previous male's cubs. What would you call THAT?

It's not that I hate Sylar, quite the contrary, he's one of my favorite villains EVER, because Zachary Quinto made him so convincing. The evolution deal was his was of justifying it. Fun Fact: his original name does have a certain irony to it. The name Gabriel means "God's Hero" and he's a villain.
sakuuya chapter 1 . 3/30/2008
I think this fic would have been better in 1st person perspective, rather than 3rd. As it is, it doesn't seem as much a fanfic as you, as an author, arguing that he's not evil.

Which I hope isn't actually the case. He IS evil, and no circumstances or what he thinks of himself can change that. And that's the point, I think. All (or at least most) of the justifications you give only work in his own disordered head, for various reasons. By using the 3rd person, you're distancing the arguments from him. Even as I'm reviewing I can't tell if you're going for what HE thinks of himself, or if you actually believe this load of bollocks.

That makes it sort of hard to know what to tell you, sorry.
Khandi Barr chapter 1 . 3/30/2008