Reviews for Amputated at the Neck
Ana Sedai chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
I have...very conflicted feelings about this story.

On the one hand, it's mind-blowingly insightful and *very* well-written. Jasper has always been the most enigmatic of the Cullen family, and I enjoy reading stories about him. And his view of what real love is (for him and Alice, at least) is very mature and realistic. On the other hand...

It hurts that he sees Edward and Bella's relationship as unhealthy. It's an interesting conundrum that an empath has the ability to intellectually vivisect as passionate and consuming a romance as theirs. There is truth in his analysis (that's why it hurts), but it's not the whole story. He's rather patronizing of Bella (not without cause, but she's far from stupid or blind about others), and while she may at first have been more of a curiosity to Edward than anything else, she's hardly the first shy, beautiful, intelligent girl he would've come across. Yet he fell in love with *her*. Perhaps they do idolize each other, but they're not blind to each others' faults. They just choose to love each other in spite of them.

Sometimes love is explainable. Sometimes it's obvious and easy and natural. Jacob and Bella's relationship would've been that way, as she was aware enough to see. And then sometimes love is complicated and difficult and even unhealthy-appearing to others, even people who are close. Trying to explain that kind of love, or even trying to understand the emotions involved in that kind of love, would be onerous at best, and more often impossible. Jasper isn't necessarily wrong here in the grand scheme of things, but I just don't think he's looking quite deep enough.

In any case, this was a great story. It's a different point of view than almost any other Twilight story I've read, and that's saying something. And you made me think, which is very rare for fanfiction. Excellent job!
Molly et Wobbles chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
I love this story, it's true that Bella is too innocent, she doesn't appreciate the life that she has. I wonder how she would look at her life if she's seen the things that Jasper has.

Jasper is a deeper person than Edward, and you showed that well. Midnight Sun also showed how Edward never really loves humans individually.

Love the story! I even printed it.

*faved*
JulyPie chapter 1 . 8/30/2008
Must hug Jasper! I do slightly disagree with Jasper not saying Edward and Bella don't love each other really, but I am very closed minded about these things, and you made it so convincing; you really felt you were in Jaspers head. So it was more of a disagreement with Jaspers oppinion, rather than disagreement with your writing.

All Jaspers memories are really heart wrenching and tragic, and it made me very sad for Jasper and it was a good look inside his thoughts and feelings

In conclusion, this was very well written, I disagree with some of Jaspers oppinions but that is just my personal thought. And the quality over-rided my personal qualms.
No longer updating chapter 1 . 8/28/2008
WOW! That was really amazing. The beginning was so intense.

Jasper is one of my favourite characters, and I think you've captured him perfectly. You did a really good job.
AmaranthineSomnium chapter 1 . 8/26/2008
Deep, well thought out and thought provoking; just how I love a good piece of writing to be. This takes a deeper look at the love we all seem so amazed by: Edward and Bella. Though I don't 100% agree with everything Jasper thinks here, I think it is always good to see and understand every point of view. It makes our own opinions and thoughts all the more valued. And strong. Fantastic job with Jasper, here. I'm in awe.
1297 chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
This was beautifully written and so insightful. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing. Adding to my favourites :)
sophia666 chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
Wonderful writing. I loved Jasper's POV and the little glipses of Alice, Carlisle and especially Bella and Edward. I think you really got their relationship, and how Bella idolises Edward and how Edward loved the Mystery and idea of Bella. I loved Jasper's characterisation.
MissNebraskaLIVE chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
An exceptional character study; as someone who adores Jasper, I think that you've created a very moving rendition of him. Your Jasper is very dark and surprisingly, I like that side of him. Amazing writing.
Spooky Kat 87 chapter 1 . 7/18/2008
I really like this story. I agree with that view of Edward and Bella's relationship. I have never been convinced that they actually love each other. They love what they think they see, and that has always bothered me about them.
qtkemi chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
I admit, this is exceptional writing, but i completely abhor this story. What type of cynical person are you, arguing, through Jasper (sweet, empathic Jasper) that Edward and Bella don't really love each other, that they only love the IDEA of each other. Preposterous. Do you then think that when Bella went and jumped off that cliff to hear Edward's voice that she did it because she loved the IDEA of Edward? Do you then think that when Edward curled up into a ball somewhere in a south american slum he did it because he loved the IDEA of Bella? Do then think that when Edward, after hearing of Bella's supposed death, sent himself on a suicide mission to the volturi because he loved the IDEA of Bella? Do then think that Edward tortured himself, day to day, hour upon hour, minute upon minute, and second after god-forsaken second because he loved the IDEA od Bella?

This takes Cynicism to a whole new level. I must say however, despite how vehemwently i disagree with your...unconventional opinions, your writing is refreshing. I haven't yet met a twilight fan (even a twilight hater for that matter) that thinks that Edward and Bella do not really love each other...

This, I repeat, THIS is cynicism to an extreme...

-kemi
Perfect Mistake chapter 1 . 7/6/2008
My god, the fact that you've gotten me off my lazy arse to review is a feat in itself, but this...this story is simply mind blowing. Your characterizations of Jasper and Edward were spot on, the the flow of the story was beautiful. Excellent job dear, you should be proud.
rothetwifan chapter 1 . 6/20/2008
Very good analogy of feelings and thoughts, but I'm noot quite sure that Jasper is correct in his thoughts on Edward and Bella's love for one another. I don't know at what point his thoughts are happening, but if it's after all of the things that happened with James, The Volturi, and Victoria, then I think Bella is very well aware of who, and what Edward is and in spite of all of those things, she still loves him. I mean who knows a person really, until they live with them on a daily basis, and even then, you still really don't know. You love them, and hope for the best.
Akai-chan chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
I just wanted to tell you that this is the most realistic and mature piece of writing I've ever seen pertaining to Bella and Edward's relationship. You sound like someone who truly knows what's going on in love and life experiences and I thank you for sharing that with the rest of us through Jasper.
newfoundlove chapter 1 . 4/29/2008
That was very interesting and very well written. I haven't read many stories of characters discussing Edward's short-comings, and he certainly has them, like anyone. The way that you described Bella and Edward's love is very true, especially before he leaves in NM. I think by Eclipse though, he may be loving Bella for who she is, not just the idea of her and the mystery that surrounds her, but that's just my take. Again, well done.
Sarah G chapter 1 . 4/14/2008
This was quite interesting. I always like finding Jasper based stories because I understand and there are so few tid bits about him.
178 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 Next »