Reviews for The Mage's Journal
Kyle C. Rosales chapter 4 . 8/2/2012
Great story, however there is one thing that bugs my mind. Ewan was able to use magic without a tome. He did it in a support conversation with Amelia. Although the spell was only beautiful fireworks, still he casted it without a tome.
LordEphidel chapter 4 . 7/3/2012
Overall, this is a fairly decent explanation of magic, and I can detect no outright contradictions from canon. There are, however, some points that are briefly touched upon in the games that you may wish to utilize as well. The first piece of evidence that comes to mind is that in the tutorials of Radiant Dawn, anima magic is also referred to as the magic of reason, which may be helpful in explaining it in chapter two. Also, there are no canonical references to users of light magic calling upon spirits, though the only reason I raise this point is because while you imply that chapters 3 and 4 are referring to anima magic alone, you do not explicitly state that it is unconnected to light and elder magic.

As for your writing itself, I have only two small concerns. First is that Kumiko seems somewhat Mary Sue-esque here in that all characters seem to approve of her and that she has a wide variety of affairs with canon characters. These may make sense or be untrue in your pieces centering around her, but it can be mildly off-putting for somebody who has not read them such as myself. The other point I have is that Pent seems to be fairly serious in canon and I cannot imagine him performing a face palm as he does in chapter 3 merely because he forgot to mention a slight fact to somebody.

There are a number of potential expansions for this piece. How do staves work? How can people such as Oliver, Lekain, and the random corrupt bishop in Sword of Seals whose name escapes me use light magic when the only higher power that they have faith in is wealth [or beauty, in Oliver's case]? What is the significance of the magic circle that appears in battle animations? How do critical hits occur? How are tomes made?

Yes those are a lot of questions, and I would be extraordinarily surprised if anyone was bored enough to answer them all. Not only that, but this does seem to be a fairly old piece, so if you are anything at all like most writers, then you are probably more concerned with your more recent works. But if, for some inexplicable reason, you do wish to come back to this, I am reasonably learned in magical theory [why yes I am insane, if you wonder] and have thus created a few of my own answers to the previous questions that I could share with you feel that it would be helpful.
desoldeben chapter 4 . 9/25/2011
How abt staves?
SuperNova23 chapter 4 . 8/20/2011
My favourite chapter in this was either the FE8 one or this one. It's interesting, having someone explain magic. And NiƱo is a damn good Sage. She usually comes close to passing my Erk sinse her growths are so good. You write really well.
crazygunbladergirl chapter 4 . 11/30/2009
Interesting ideas of how magic works. This was pretty neat to read!

I love how you kept everyone in character, too, especially Lute.

Good job!
Demoness Drakon chapter 4 . 11/30/2009
Well, here's one thing I know; it's about fucking time someone did one of these and you did a good job on this! I thank you for doing this, and for that, I'm sticking this in my favorites, and it the community I have. Speaking of such, I'm looking for staff; interested?

Drakon out!
spygirly chapter 2 . 12/29/2008
Er, just so you don't get completely confused, that second review there wasn't me again. My cousin was using my account and did that one . . . sorry about that!
spygirly chapter 4 . 12/29/2008
Hey, I really liked this! It was really nice to get the theories of magic explained thoroughly for once; everything was really well presented, and I could understand it all.

On top of that, the characters were in character, the overall writing good. Congrats!
spygirly chapter 1 . 9/25/2008
Hm, interesting idea, about the magic. They seriously don't explain it enough in fire emblem.
Xirysa chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
You know, I've always had this question myself. And XD This was submitted on my birthday! LOL. I really like this.
Kita Shishi chapter 1 . 4/3/2008
Very nice! I like them! Would be fun to see some fe6 fic too ;) Good work~
Derra chapter 4 . 4/2/2008
It's an interesting fic, and you put it all the same day. About your explanations about magic, I think you make clear your point of view, and since I never gave it a though I don't have anyting to refute your teory.
1472278 chapter 2 . 4/1/2008
Hey, I liked your explanation for how all the different types of magic work. It made a lot of sense (and Ewan was so cute). He does seem more like an anima user, but in the game, he can learn to use all three types of magic if you keep him a pupil, which was awesome (no staves tho...). Nice job!