Reviews for Hexes&Vexes
VAPX007 chapter 27 . 8/18/2012
Hi Irual,

It was good to see a final moment where Gizmoduck acted like an adult rather than an 'adolescent meaning well but forever bordering on thick-headedness'. I really had wanted to see the explanation with Neptunia after his responsible discussion with Hooter, but I guess this way is for the best given her hot-headed nature would never let her take the news so well and she's borderline as it is.

I still think some of the scenes you described in past tense from the point of view of someone reflecting deeply are a bit on the extra-thorough side and as such could instead be written more briskly in the present tense. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the action scenes that you did block.

And as for the vampire scenes ... I LOVED them! Great work! You've clearly done your research. You know your subject and jumped at every chance for fun with it! Awesome stuff! But I mustn't digress!

I also want to say you did great work with keeping some loose ends so as to keep the book open, so to speak. Dirk Mallard seems a scary, meaty storyline in the making and I was personally disturbed by the Negaverse being proven as some sort of dramatically contrived fiction. (I assume that this is just because I don't think this way.) Also, I'm not entirely sure why Negaduck needed Morgana to transfigure something before making the portal.

In Lafayette's defence the death cage and its sharp destructive metal fragments was an excellent invention and tool. He really had a good plan. It worked perfectly well in the static tests! His only failing was in underestimating the intelligence and unpredictable nature of the people that his plan would brush up against. And that was the result of an excellent character design flaw which was doubly good when we got some insight into his sparrow familiar story and his father's not-unrealistic dehumanized thought process. Although it's a wonder and a pity that his chosen one couldn't better help to keep him grounded, thus reminding us all that not relationship is impervious to the possibility of failure. Sad, but true.

I actually am a little amazed by my saying this, but I really do hope Negaduck gets well and back to his normal self eventually. (He can be such a useful character sometimes.) In retrospect I don't blame him for being so upset at the boys interfering and crashing his plane at the start of the Duckburg adventure. Then again given the nature of this story's contents you no doubt have other dark designs in store for Negaduck. Well, he's on his own on this one because he'd never forgive me for trying to protect him from you, even though you are the creator of the universe here.

Not to put you out, but I wasn't quite sure if all Gyro's extra work with the protective coating earlier in the story paid off. Or if Magica's first two spells actually made it harder for Morgana and Darkwing to fight Lafayette at the end. (I might have just missed the pay offs due to their being a bit too subtle compared with all the other details.) Consequences are important, consider the task of untangling Christmas tree lights and the thrill of getting to the end of the tangle!

Talking of consequences and crossing borders between worlds, it was a nice surprise that Magica has such a big family around her and the detail really grounds her solidly into the same universe as Morgana. I'm glad for how Poe's story turned out and on a sideline thought I am super happy that Squeek was still alive after that last encounter.

Considering the sensitivity of people to their closest companions and the heart grabbing nature of many turbulent things we go through in our ... continuing ... lives it's a wonder that more people don't survive in modern fiction. There is so much other potential life holds to explore.

Anyway, good story. Sorry it took me so long to get through. You are a very thorough writer. There are mixed blessing with each and every one of us amateur fiction writers as we've all learnt how to write down the narratives bursting out of our heads in our own unique 'what works best' ways.

Your fellow writer,

VAPX007
VAPX007 chapter 14 . 8/17/2012
Geez, awesome work with Lafayette's scene here. Oh wow, Magica's actually thinking. It was nice to have a passive outsider view for the moment looking through Magica's mirror. Her next spell should prove an interesting turnout.
VAPX007 chapter 9 . 8/14/2012
Lovely scene between Quiverwing and Darkwing and also between Scrooge and Fenton. The S.H.U.S.H. medical bonanza was expectedly brutal.
VAPX007 chapter 8 . 8/14/2012
Good fight with the Beagle Boys pinning Darkwing down.
VAPX007 chapter 7 . 8/14/2012
This is a good fight between Lafayette, Morgana and Darkwing.
VAPX007 chapter 5 . 5/21/2011
Hi Irual

Gizmoduck really is so full of it, isn't he?

Bankjob's plan was ace. It deserved to work. Well done.

Careful with your present and past tense.

Your Friend in Writing

VAPX007
Spring-Heel-Jacq chapter 7 . 1/28/2011
This is actually pretty good!

Though there are some mistakes I have spotted . . .

There were parts of the story where I gotten confused and you use the tense of "he" and "she" too much and I find it confusing of what the noun is referring to.
Setsuna-cutey chapter 2 . 1/6/2011
Having a lot of fun reading this fic until now! I love the way you portray everyone and your style makes a pleasant read. :) I'm not a big sucker (pun intended) for Lafayette but for an original character he's quite cool. And I like the fact that you borrowed him from another fan, that's a cool way of drawing on each other's work. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Magica plot line. (Will it be anything like the graphic novel? Let's find out! :D)
animationiscool chapter 4 . 8/5/2010
I like the various back stories of the characters.
animationiscool chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
The story is interesting so far and it has as good start.
loonytunecrazy chapter 27 . 1/15/2010
exllcent eplgou I gald that Monoculo is almsot coming around and that his clan is helping Genevieve. Also I really like the scene where Fenton finds the engagment ring and is thinking of marring Gandra
loonytunecrazy chapter 26 . 1/13/2010
exllcent chapter here gald things are getting back to normal for the Mallards and the sceens with the Muddlefoots were exllcent scenes with Genevieveb hope the other conicl memvers can help her and at Magica is finally geting some punishment
loonytunecrazy chapter 25 . 1/11/2010
Awsome chapter here very cool battle scnees , at least this particular nightmare is over for the Mallard family. Very emtions scene with Gos and Neagduck
loonytunecrazy chapter 24 . 12/13/2009
awsome chaopter aw poor Squeek I hope he recovers and I love the battkle between Negaduck and Layatte .
loonytunecrazy chapter 23 . 12/11/2009
Another really cool chaper like the the possbile hint that Negaduck might Darkwing brother