Reviews for A Hero
fujoshifangirl2003 chapter 1 . 7/22
me likey this story
This highlighted Dudley really well, and I really liked it.
duj chapter 1 . 7/16
Great Dudley story, but greatly exaggerates the abusiveness of Dudley's parents, to the detriment of both the story and the message. It's unnecessary, and worse, it's counter-productive. When you feel you have to turn canonical favouritism, neglect, name-calling, unfair blame, into bruises, beatings, starvation, it suggests that verbal and emotional mistreatment don't count; only physical harshness qualifies.

It's easy to hate the Dursleys, but it's more important to understand them, I think. (Then you'll see that Dumbledore is at least as much to blame.) You saw that fear and suspicion were drivers, and you also blamed jealousy, but you don't understand that two of the strongest drivers of abuse are isolation and incapacity - and both are present in this unhappy home. The Dursleys didn't have a clue what to do with traumatised toddler-Harry, who saw his mum killed in front of him and who was then ripped away from everything familiar and dumped on their doorstep, and they don't have anyone to ask. They can't ask their Muggle friends or health advisers - and the doorstep dump was a pretty strong message that it was no use asking Dumbledore. Don't you see that Petunia couldn't even go to the corner store any more? Did you miss the bit where Dudley's birthday was their one outing a year? And have you never considered the impossibility of explaining to a fifteen-month-old why you can't magic his boo-boos better or make his toys dance, like Mummy used to?
clerrrrr chapter 1 . 7/12
I love this so much! I really enjoyed how you wrote about Dudley realizing his parents were abusive and that he still loves his parents bc they are his parents. Fantastic job!
BlazeFlower666 chapter 1 . 7/11
This was really amazing, and i need a sequal.
I'm in awe of how you managed to keep Dudley in character while still developing his character into one willing to help Harry in spite of what his parents said. You portrayed his conflict really well. Awesome job!
wishlady chapter 1 . 7/7
Beautiful
sierra.steinbrecher chapter 1 . 7/4
I really enjoyed this story, even the more gut twisting parts like their reaction to Dudley standing up for Harry.
ginnyweasly22 chapter 1 . 6/20
This was absolutely incredible. It always bothers me that more emphasis isn't placed on how abusive the Dursleys are to Harry. This story countered that. Also it showed how one little comment can completely change someone's perspective. If his classmates had not pointed out that the book was about abuse, Dudley would have never changed his perspective.
KnightOwl416 chapter 1 . 6/13
Your story was really well written
Youdon'tknowme chapter 1 . 6/12
Amazing. Simply amazing. It captures the inner turmoil of someone who wants to do the right thing, but also desires for everything to return to normal. The guilt and angst is perfectly captured, and the one shot was wonderful.
rose372938 chapter 1 . 6/10
Aaahhhh I loved it
ABZB13 chapter 1 . 6/3
wow
Polly Little chapter 1 . 6/3
I like the way Dudley somehow stayed in character with all the personality development.
amazingvibes chapter 1 . 5/31
a harrowing but beautiful story damnnnn dudley is suddenly my fave person now
This was amazing