Reviews for Useless
Periwinkleme chapter 1 . 12/17/2008
I liked reading this actually. I liked to see a different side of Carlisle. Of course he needs to feel anger, defeat, have have feelings of being powerless. I think because we never see that in the Twilight books I'd love to hear his thoughts on his own behavior, calming himself down, kicking himself for not being stronger etc., even if he is justified. I think the problem you may have with this story is that his feelings change so quickly. I love this line, "Never before had Carlisle had so much power to do good, and never before had he had such limits on his ability to use it." This is the whole premise to his feelings. This makes us see him as vulnerable, Carlisle (just like we know about Edward) really isn't so perfect, it's nice to see some real humanity.
dsolo chapter 1 . 11/5/2008
Premise for the story is good, even if it's grim. I think the problem is that it feels incomplete. Also, the victim is not depicted clearly enough. It's hard to identify with her. Maybe a description of her, showing her vulnerability, and Carlisle's attempt to save her - perhaps his is the only kindness she receives before death. Unfortunately, Carlisle is right. There are worse monsters out there than vampires.
Aldara Gaea chapter 1 . 10/27/2008
I think I understand why you might say that this story bugs you. Unfortunately I can't really pin point what it is either. Except, maybe, the fact that angst sounds a little strange coming from Carlisle. I know that he must have been pretty hard on himself in those first few decades, but it still feels a little strange to hear Carlisle scream 'Damn it!' you know? Still, you've raised a very good point, and it was well written.
Consultant by Day chapter 1 . 10/4/2008
I liked it, but if it bugs you it may be that (at least to me) I imagine Carlisle as more weary and defeated than angry. And maybe if you had him thinking more about the girl he'd lost as a person as a way of exposing the prostitution story? For Carlisle really relates to people personally and that might be more of a hook.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Really like it though, Carlisle is the best:)
vampirechick123 chapter 1 . 8/21/2008
wow, that was really good. intense.

good job
LiqueArdena chapter 1 . 7/23/2008
Actually, I do like this one, but it's not really like Carlisle to get that down on himself. Ok... maybe it is, but he always gets positive on the other side? This is really focused on his feelings of helplessness, but Carlisle almost exclusively focuses on happy things.

Hmm.. I'm not saying this right. At the end he does keep moving forward. I think the trouble is is that you don't actually know what he's doing to help. Maybe more about what he tried to do to save the girl. I think that would help.
BabelFish42 chapter 1 . 7/15/2008
I actually really liked this...

"One lone vampire was not going to make much of a difference."

Yeah, I think I know exactly how he feels there. Minus the part about being a vampire, of course. Who doesn't feel that way, looking at all the problems in the world? Being broke college student myself, I can feel pretty useless too. I took a course on AIDS (the social and political aspects of the epidemic, as well as the biology), and it was just so... shocking. Horrifying. And the worst part is feeling like you can't do anything significant. You can try to make a difference, but you might as well be trying to demolish the Empire State Building with a pick-ax.

I'm not sure what bugs you about it... I guess I kinda feel like it ends too quickly. It seems like he goes from despair to renewed determination in a few seconds. Maybe there was more that happened in between to get him from one extreme to the other? Maybe some event, or maybe you could just explore his thoughts more? What convinces him to keep trying?

Anyway, those are just random ideas, take them or leave them. Good story.
nyckiii chapter 1 . 7/12/2008
Another brilliant piece of work from you. It just makes us all realize how much bad things go on in our world, hoy many people are suffering, and this motivates (well, at least it motivated me) to try a little harder to help. Thanks for that ;)
Chibimomoko chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
That was absolutely amazing. Do not erase it! I loved how you explored another character besides the usual duo. And you made it interesting and deep. I can't even begin with all the pros to this story. You should definitely write another if you have the chance.
LunaPuff chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
first, how could someone flame the amazing writing that is Useless? second, please don't erase it, it's too awesome not to share. great one-shot, very inspiring. it's terrible to feel useless about the horrible things going on in the world, and know there's not much you can do to help.
xxtwilight chapter 1 . 4/12/2008
That was fascinating. I feel like you really understand Carlisle, and he is a pretty complex character. I've been thinking of writing a Carlisle fanfic, but I wasn't sure if I could properly voice his thoughts and actions... but you did a great job! )
Masochisim chapter 1 . 4/5/2008
It is definitely not a miracle to like this story. A person would have to have horrendous taste not to. That was...wow...

If you wouldn't mind giving me some info on Human Trafficking, I would like to know more about that. Isn't it a frightening thought that this is STILL happening?
crzybookluvrchick4017 chapter 1 . 4/4/2008
i liked it. carlile isnt a charcter that mrs. meyer goes into detail about. i wouldnt mind reading more.
Blood on a Rose chapter 1 . 4/4/2008
Carlisle! *waves Team Carlisle flag* I love all your writing, and this is no exception. Please don't delete it! I can't imagine why it bugs you...maybe you feel the need to explore Carlisle a little more? Dig deep inside his head? Well I thought it was brilliant! I actually had an idea for a one shot last night, but I forgot it while I was sleeping! I'm such a dummy! Maybe I'll remember it if I try real hard, or maybe it'll come to me when I'm sleeping tonight, haha.
Annarina chapter 1 . 4/4/2008
This was just awesome. I want to go and give Carlisle a hug. Beautiful job.