Reviews for A Consummation Devoutly to Be Wished
Renee Aubin chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Hello, Bratanimus! (I like the name, btw). I bet you haven’t thought about this one-shot in a long time. I found it in a roundabout way, from reading “stupid shiny volvo driver”’s story “Becoming Whole”, then checking out her “Truly Twilight” community. Sigh, I wish I had known stories like this were out there when I was reading the books in 2010. It was so frustrating that SM made no attempt at all to imagine (or at least to write down and share with anyone) what their preparations for “trying” might have been like. A pretty critical moment in Edward’s life and their developing relationship, eh? I thought you did a brilliant job of imagining it, and getting inside canon Edward’s head.

I loved how you started it – it was such a WTF moment - why is he marinating in the tub for 6 hours, and why doesn’t he get out when Bella arrives? So many excellent details. A perfect moment when he emerges from the water, making Bella scream – right out of a horror movie, yet so funny.

I liked how you kept building a more complete picture for us by adding little details. ‘The jeans coming off – that was new.’ Hmm. But soon we know just what he meant.

You did such a great job of imagining and conveying his struggle, and how he courageously pushes through it, not giving up. That was sadly missing from the books. ‘It was still too much for me; the venom would drop like mother's milk and I'd have to pull away, away from her.’ It was also good that Bella was scrupulously cooperative, instantly respecting his need to back off sometimes. It couldn’t work any other way. And aww, good for him: ‘I kept swallowing, doing everything in my power not to have to leave this bed.’

This sounds very Edward: ‘I was neither proud nor ashamed of my form... I was only glad of it insofar as it pleased Bella.’ And wow, what an interesting observation: ‘I was again grimly gratified by how easily my body could mimic a human's, giving me the tools I needed to please Bella, to please myself.’

The lightness in this story is charming, too. They’re both inexperienced, but they’re in this together. Very refreshing that they have the confidence in each other to enjoy the occasional giggle! Conserving his body heat under the electric blanket reminded me of kids playing in a tent. (Although I doubt that kids ever had quite that much fun.)

Great line, from Bella: "You … you cooked yourself?"
His reply – even better:
"Yes," I replied, opening her fingers and pressing her hand to my hot chest. "Yes, I did. Want a taste?"
Gulp – yes please!

Delightful that you let Edward get caught up in their exploration, occasionally against his best judgement: ‘I simply couldn't stop her. It was excruciating rapture.’ Thank the goddess you let him enjoy it!

Enjoyed the thoughts that he shut off before they carried him away. For instance ‘The eyes locked on mine were vivid, glittering, shining too brightly for any mere human's. Sometimes, when I kissed her like this, she looked as if she were already –‘ Naturally such things would have crossed his mind.

What an excellent moment: ‘I smelled it, knew instinctively where she was in her cycle, sensed the growing fount of blood, a monthly miracle mere inches beneath me.’ Of course!

Bless you, Bella: "You don't need to change anything about yourself to make me any happier." All those things he most hates about himself, she accepts whole-heartedly. And that’s what HE gets from their relationship.

And of course it was hot hot hot – largely because it was so vividly and authentically Edward and Bella as we’ve come to know them.

Yummy, to end with looking forward to trying the sous-vide again in 50 years!

Thanks so much for creating this wonderfully imagined and well-written story. And for leaving it up for everyone to enjoy! I will be checking out your other Twilight stories…
REgrrl chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
Brilliant and lovely. You really locked onto the emotion, frustration, joy and generosity of each character. Really sublime.
miaokuancha chapter 1 . 12/10/2011
This is a really sweet story. Thank you for writing and posting it.
BiteMeNowPlease chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Beautiful!
SanguineTaurean chapter 1 . 10/15/2011
Sweet and considerate Edward...always wanting to please Bella.
sshart chapter 1 . 1/20/2011
awe...he is such a sweetie!
Elizabeth.June chapter 1 . 11/24/2010
loved it! :D
scherre chapter 1 . 10/19/2010
that was great! it's easy to imagine this fitting neatly into canon.
marukawa chapter 1 . 8/26/2010
i think it would be amazing to have a multi-chapter fic of edward and bella's escapades leading up to this! OwOv *fangirly squeal of glee*
Dil9 chapter 1 . 6/26/2010
great story

NelsonSmandela chapter 1 . 4/14/2010
I saw this one-shot rec'd on Twitter, and it is beautiful! I love your writing, and I laughed out loud at the sous-vide attempt. _ Thank you for writing!

NS
jennlynnfs chapter 1 . 4/10/2010
Oh wow. That was so well done. There aren't that many cannon Twilight stories out there that really capture cannon Edward and Bella so well. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

It was so sweet that he basically boiled himself to be warm for her. LOL. I could totally see him doing that. I also really enjoyed the progression in their physical relationship that you illustrated in this story. I could readily believe that they would explore the limitations and possibilties like this.

What I enjoyed most was EPOV. It was done so well. I loved how you captured his thoughts.

I heard about this story on twitter. I'm so glad I found it. Thank you.
MsMayfly chapter 1 . 3/30/2010
I love the ending... it was beautiful! Another amazing story. I'm enjoying reading your work, it's all so great!
Lacy-Jane chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
That was so cute!
JustARead chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
That was really sweet and cute.